Panther
Years ago

Chris Webber's future

Well it seemed as soon as AI left Philly, C Webb wanted out of there too and that's exactly what is happening!
Webber's contract is being bought out at a slightly reduced amount, (but still worth squillions!).
Rumour has it that Dallas are looking at picking him up, but unfortunately they already have a full list with garuanteed contracts which means they will have to waive someone.
Should be some interesting shopping for some teams. Very similar to the Michael Finley deal that saw him ending up in San Anatonio.

Topic #10003 | Report this topic

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

He would be a nice fit in LA with the lakers.

Reply #114262 | Report this post

Seattle's Best  
Years ago

He sucks! Well he doesn't suck too bad, but with the 2nd best salary in the league (over 20 mil US) i would be expecting more from him.
Him and the 6ers have agreed on a buy-out and he will be released on Thursday. He said he wants to go to either Miami, Lakers, Dallas, Pistons or Spurs.

Reply #114264 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

jersey should through 100 million at him if that what it takes.they need a big man right now

Reply #114267 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Very different to the Michael Finley deal Panther.

Webber is getting bought out which means the dollars still contribute to the salary cap. Finley was a one off deal where each team in the league was able to waive one player for salary cap purposes. The Mavs saved a small fortune in waiving Finley and opened up playing time for Josh Howard.

If fail to see (bar the weather) what the attraction of playing in Miami is??? Shaq is in his twilight years, Wade is having a bad season injury wise, they have no quality rookies or young'uns (bar Wade), no future cap room to improve but players still want to goto Miami.

Reply #114269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris should call "time out".

93 - North Carolina Baby!

Reply #114275 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree re-Miami. Not sure if any of those teams need him. Maybe Pistons as an upgrade on offence for Nazi, or Lakers as a solid reserve to split time with Kwame?

Reply #114276 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I meant as in he can take what he got from Philly and if he wanted to, play for next to nothing in order to win a championship. Why else would he list off the teams mentioned above??? He could be greedy but I think C Webb knows he's not far from retiring and as every player does, wants to win a championship before he finishes up!

Reply #114277 | Report this post

cal's bruton  
Years ago

maybe Keyzer Soze the russian mob sydney kings owner could kidnap a family member and get him to play for the sydney kings. Just a thought.

"you win us the title chris and we will return her with all her fingers and toes" derek ruckers boss

Reply #114280 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't laugh about the Russian Mafia and Firepower.....

Back to topic, IMO Webbers best place would be in Detroit. It's his home town and out of the teams he's nominated (all I can think is this request if endorsement linked as they are all big markets) the Pistons are the more likely to play a half court game and utilise Webbers passing skills.

Agree with you on that Panther, if someone is chucking around $35ish million for nothing then I'm jumping on board.... Sign me up... my knees are screwed.

If he signs for a one year deal then teams only have to find $1.2 million in which the NBA contributes $450k. If your a serious contender (Spurs, Dallas maybe Pistons) then your mad in not trying to sign him for a year. He's worth 1.2 mill.

Reply #114284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Lakers want to hurt Bynumm's development?

Reply #114286 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

could be at the razorbacks next year,cal says their imports suck,by the way who are they again????

Reply #114287 | Report this post

cal's bruton  
Years ago

"could be at the razorbacks next year,cal says their imports suck,by the way who are they again????"

mutombo's cousin ya ya dia and ray allens sister justin's bailey, they are both dreadful, i think bailey might be the worst non white import in the past 3 years, he can't shoot, he isn't a big scorer, can't defend and doesn't make his team mates better, i bet cal's playing for them in 2 rounds, cal could get a win by himself hes that good.

Webber to the pistons is awful, they are three deep in power forwards with sheed, dice and that new guy who talks like bubba from forrest gump maxiell. I think hed be a nice role player for the bulls if could swallow his ego and take orders from a short bald white drill sargent like skiles.

Reply #114288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C-Webb with the massive ego has said that he wants big minutes. I dont see that as a possibility if hes heading to a championship contender. One rumour was to reunite with Orlando who drafted him all those years ago.

If he can get over his ego and play a role like Finley then whoever gets him will get a massive boost of the bench. Giving Dirk or Duncan a rest. Can think of a lot worse.

Rumour going round also has The Franchise getting bought out. Is it just me or should New York buy out all their players bar maybe nate and Frye and just start over again. Get rookies and a few min veterans and just start again!!

Reply #114290 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

"...that new guy who talks like bubba from forrest gump maxiell..."

LOL - seriously... that is awesome... Who wouldn`t want to be able to do that...

Reply #114295 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

maybe that other sydney "institution"......the "kings and queens",boy goorj could surely fit him in under there cap(unlimited),then sack him 5 weeks later saying he is the worst import ever!!!! and how do u expect me to win a title when i have half a dozen boomers and use 10 imports a season

Reply #114296 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

detroit will be his team.we the game on the line i can see a line up of billups rip tayshawn webber rasheed.

Reply #114300 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I'm thinking it'll be between detroit, spurs and the wizards. He has a legit shot at a ring with detroit and san antonio and would probably see some reasonable minutes with each side. Although Webber hasnt mentioned the wizards as a team he'd like to play with I think it would be an interesting option. They could do with the extra depth, he used to play there, and it strikes me as an exciting/potentially very good team to play for.

The Lakers I think would struggle to afford him if they sign him to a multi year contract, I dont see how he helps Dallas, and I agree with TR about the Miami situation. I'm more interested to see what happens with the Franchise, surely he'll be bought out as well.

Reply #114329 | Report this post

#21 Spurs  
Years ago

Webber told ESPN.com on

Wednesday night that 17 of the league's 30 teams have already called to register interest in his services, but the free agent-to-be hopes to sign with one of the following contenders: Miami and his hometown Detroit Pistons in the East; San Antonio, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers in the West.

"This is the best I've felt in three years," Webber said in a phone interview. "Now the thing I want to do most is win a championship, put myself back on that kind of level."

Reply #114345 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Yes he got released today

Reply #114373 | Report this post

Years ago

Lakers need Webber... Brown the Centre is out and so is Lamar Odom.... What i would do is....
C: brown
PF: Webber
SF: Lamar Odom
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: Smush Parker

Championship contender?...

Reply #114392 | Report this post

Years ago

Im saying when every 1 gets back from injury.. So Lamar Moved down to SF like he used to be... And Walton out of the lineup

Reply #114394 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I don't understand why they bought him out. They paid him less than 5 mil under the 38 mil he was owed. So they were willing to pay him 33 mil to NOT play for them.

Not only that he can go to another team and help beat them. Maybe they are happy with that, going for draft picks.

If I were King and I heard Webber wanted a buyout I would make him sweat it out down to like 20 mil or something rather than 33 mil!! He would have known Webber desperately wanted out? But I suppose King hasn't been the best GM, he had to build a team around Iverson, and couldn't do that.

Reply #114396 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

On the Lakers - I think that lineup is good, but not championship material, yet. Also, Webber can't play defence anymore. So they may use him in a reserve role, and use Kwame at PF and Bynum at C??

Reply #114398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They paid him out so they get their cap under the luxury threshold and I'm pretty sure if they buy out a contract not all of it counts towards next seasons cap.

Steve Francis career might be over hence the Knicks want a buy out by the sounds of it he has a terminal knee injury which isn't going to get any better than it is (the last I heard).

Reply #114452 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

No chance olskoolgamer

If by chance we (being the Lakers) got Webber

The lineup would be

Ctr - Brown
PF - Odom
SF - Walton
SG - Kobe
PG - Smush

Bench

Bynum
Webber
Turiaf
Farmer
Evans
RadmanaUSELESSBITCH......lol

Cook and Vujacic, unless they are traded

Reply #114482 | Report this post

If he wants to win a championship he should go to Phoenix

Reply #114485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754