Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers break NZ, 104-78

The Adelaide 36ERS tonight destroyed the NZ Breakers final quarter comeback attempt, running rampant in the final two minutes to win 104-78.

The 26 point victory was dominated by Willie Farley's 26 point individual contribution, and a quality 23 points from Brett Maher. Forward Dusty Rychart added 20 points of his own and provided what was to be an ultimately winning beginning for the home team.

Also strong was Paul Rees, picking up 14 points including a three-point shot that had the Adelaide crowd in full voice.

The Sixers started strongly on the back of Rychart's 10 first quarter points and the period also featured Rees holding out Breaker Ben Pepper. It was the Breakers leading for most of the period, however, before they came back to edge out 24-23. Maher had 9 points for the quarter.

The second started with Oscar Forman picking up three rebounds in quick succession and Rychart continuing his inside scoring. A Maher steal from Breaker co-captain Pero Cameron and resulting score saw the NZ squad take a time-out to regroup. A Maher 3 and then a Farley 3 and dunk on the next play gave the Sixers a decent lead before Cameron nailing a 3 from the corner and Ben Thompson scoring another 3 for the Breakers made it 44-40.

From there, an 8-2 run courtesy of Maher and Farley brought Adelaide to a 54-44 half-time scoreline. At the long break, Maher led all scorers with 17. Rychart had 16, Farley 9 and Rees had 7 early points.

Mike Chappell had 13 and Cameron was backing him up with 8.

Over the first 24 minutes, the Sixers had commited only 3 turnovers to the Breakers' 10. They were scoring more efficiently (44%-38% FG, 38%-29% 3P), but were narrowly beaten on the boards (27-28).

The second half saw the Sixers go scoreless for more than 4 minutes as the NZ squad pulled to be 3 points down. That is, until Farley got on the break for two points and followed that up with a steal and another 2; 15 points to his name and a 60-57 scoreline. Pepper, at this stage, picked up his fifth foul.

A Forman 3 and then Maher grabbing a tough 2-point fadeaway basket as the shot clock dropped to 1 second had the score at 66-58. Jacob Holmes scored his first field goal of the game in the final minute and the Sixers were 70-63 to close out the period. Maher 21, Rychart 17, Farley 15. Chappell was leading the Breakers with 15.

Enter the final 12 minutes and the Breakers would not give up. Cameron had 2 and Chappell made a huge baseline dunk to bring the Breakers within a single shot of drawing level.

Holmes had his trademark fadeaway on track for 2 and Farley continued his onslaught with a 3 pointer. A big dunk to Forman courtesy of a Rees assist and then Farley with consecutive scores took it back to 10 points. From there, the Sixers were on fire -- Rees, Holmes, Farley all scoring. Then came Rees' 3 and another from Darren Ng. It would be fair to say that those who'd came along to see the game were pumped by this point.

104-78 at the last buzzer, and the Sixers move to 4-1 and equal holding on the top of the Philips Championship ladder.

Sixers: Farley 26, Maher 23, Rychart 20, Rees 14, Holmes 10, Forman 5, Ng 3, Cooper 2, Williams 1.

Breakers: Cameron, Chappell, Olson 17, Redhage 11.

On the boards: Rychart, Holmes 8, Forman 6, Rees, Farley 5.

Assists: Maher 6.

First: 24-23
Second: 30-21
Third: 16-19
Fourth: 34-15

FG: 45%-32%
3P: 42%-21%
FT: 69%-76%

Boards: 41-54
Fouls: 17-25
Assists: 20-12
Blocks: 5-3
Steals: 9-1
Turnovers: 6-19

Boxscore »

Topic #1001 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Great end to the game.
Heres the link to the Sixers vs Breakers box score.

34 to 15 in the last quarter, did we finish on a 20 to 2 run, I think so.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #11092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, the final quarter run was pretty good. Rees, Holmes, Farley (3), Rees (3), Ng (3) and then Rychart.

What did Fox say about the crowd? Looked about the same as the last two games. Hard to tell as my seats were on the opposite side.

Quarter time entertainment was one guy doing a shoot-out. At half-time, they introduced the Academy squad, but then that was it.

I managed to catch the last quarter and a bit of the Academy vs Sabres game and it was entertaining. The Academy won by 10-15 or something? Gerlach was in the teens for the Academy (can't remember others). For Sturt, Shepherd, Benson and Finkemeyer were 10+.

Would've been good for more people to see them play -- maybe a 5 minute scrimmage at half-time? Bit tough to do I guess.

Sixers got crushed on the O boards tonight -- 13-25. Everyone pretty much got in on the action for the Breakers. 4 NZ players with 4 or more offensive boards.

Farley was impressive: 11/23 FG, 5 boards, 3 steals. Didn't score at all in the first quarter.

Rees played 30+ minutes and looked good. Holmes wasn't too accurate early (3/11 FG), but got going towards the end. I didn't think Cooper played very well - only had the 1 point. Got called for a few dodgy fouls.

Williams got just under 9 minutes and I think he played well -- 2 boards and 3 assists in that time. Probably passed up an outside shot that he could've taken, but it was more of a fake than hesitating.

Pepper had 6 and 10 -- nothing brilliant for 36 minutes. I bet he's getting paid more than Paul Rees too! I thought Truslove would get more opportunities this year, but he only had 6 minutes, 3 points and 3 boards.

Cheers to those who showed up early to see the Academy game.

Reply #11093 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Yeah, the Academy game was pretty good. Gerlach, Zorich, Pudds were the stand outs from what I saw. There's some real talent in that group.

For those of you who missed out, get there early next week and check out the 'young-guns'. I believe next weeks game is against West.

Reply #11105 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That was the craziest last 5 minutes in any game I've seen. Until that point the game was pretty close with never more than 10 points apart. Although the Sixers held the lead throughout, the score difference was never more than that and each time the Sixers broke away, the Breakers would fight back to close the gap. I couldn't help feeling that the Breakers were going to be tough to shake off. Then the last 5 minutes and everything literally turned upside down. You know that when Rees starts shooting 3 pointers, there is something weird in the air. The great thing about our team is that there are enough good players to rotate them around and still have a good 5 on the floor. The Breakers consistently played the same guys and in the end, fatigue was their undoing. Who would have thought that this time last year we could have contemplated being on top of the ladder.

Reply #11108 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Chapelles dunk....... still in awe !

Reply #11173 | Report this post

Fatty Faughton  
Years ago

Bring big sexy as the starting shooting guard. He nailed the three and celebrated like he always makes them (yeah right - that was a huge celebration).

BIG SEXY for Priminister

Reply #11180 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

We are doing well, however one could argue we havn't REALLY played anyone of any real consequence yet... (i.e. your Sydney's, Perth.. Tigers etc). Interesting to see what happens.

Keep it up fella's!

ShaneD

Reply #11217 | Report this post

doo  
Years ago

what time is the academy game?

Reply #11414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754