Isaac
Years ago

Taipans sign Jawai for two years

Heard about this last week, but it's become official:

Big signing today in the NBL with the news that Nathan Jawai has signed with the Cairns Taipans for the next two seasons, beginning 2007/08.

Jawai is 6'9", 130kg and just 20 years old.

Word was that the Dragons went after him strongly, but the Taipans aren't strangers to flinging cash around and Cairns is Jawai's home territory.

Supposedly he's a big kid, but very quick and athletic and a bit of a power dunker.

Big signing for Cairns.

Topic #10061 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet the 36ers didn't even talk to him - I think it's the age, he's not old enough

Reply #114975 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez I hate it when i'm right.... http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/9857/#112636

Reply #114981 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

At 130 kgs....lol.....if this kid is athletic and quick.....LOOK OUT

BABY SHAQ IS IN DA HOUSE!!!!

Reply #115049 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That's close to 300 pounds - massive. Sounds like a tall Blakemore. Anyone know if the guy can shoot?

Reply #115097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shooting range is elbows and short corners at the most. if he gets in the shape he was at when he was at the AIS he will destroy the NBL. Lateral quickness and athleticism is ridiculous for how big he is. Guaranteed he will be the biggest dunker in the nbl. just dunks on people

Reply #115122 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Brad Hill better get outta the way of this bloke....lol

Reply #115135 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah he is definitely a solid boy. I thought he looked a bit shorter than I had expected when I watched him and to be completely honest he didn't impress me that much. He averaged 14 ponts and 7 rebounds last season at the AIS in the SEABL if that helps. He is a big guy though and i'm sure he will utilise his size. He will definitely continue to get better with the right coaching.

Reply #115196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The black Dean Utohff (he was bigger than Chris Blakemore wasn't he?)

Reply #115220 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, Joe I only averaged 12 and 4 last season at AIS, so dont count on the stats as a guide to the NBL.

Reply #115234 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Uthoff was much bigger than Blakemore, but Blakemore was very quick and could get up despite being only 6'5" or thereabouts. uthoff was just a monster, not known for his lateral movement!

Reply #115256 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

No i'm not, i've seen a few guys go through with fairly low stats and go onto play NBL. If you have a look at J.I. last five games though he averaged 24 ppg.

Reply #115274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754