Isaac
Years ago

36ers statement on Maher negotiations

The Adelaide 36ers have issued a statement regarding the negotiations with Brett Maher.

Brett Maher in negotiations

Topic #10069 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

cool, heres hoping they sort it all out and Maher stays a sixer!!

Reply #115170 | Report this post

Apollo Cread  
Years ago

In my Opinion.
He will stay or season ticket holders will not renew there season pass. the fans are at there lowest in years so to let the Face of The Franchise Go would be almost the Dumbest move in Phillps Championship History.

If adelaide dont resign Brett, it will be by far the lowest point of The 36ers Franchise.

Reply #115173 | Report this post

James Naismith  
Years ago

Brett Maher has been in Adelaide his whole life, really its not Rocket Science to stick with Maher.
If Adelaide dont resign Maher they must have a screw loose, the club has let numerous young guns float away (Foreman, Holmes, Newley, Ingles).
Surley there not stupid enough to let the best player in Franchise history walk away.

Reply #115178 | Report this post

Jerry Maguire  
Years ago

Yes by far the best player the franchise has ever had,
they shouldnt even be in negotiations with Brett.
Just Sign the dotted line.

Reply #115181 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Brett Maher must be given a contract for as long as he wants,whatever it costs.When he decides to end his career, his shirt and the no. 5 must retire to the rafters of the dome for everyone to gaze upon and admire what a great player he has been for the sixers.

Reply #115183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Said.

Reply #115184 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

He will remain a 36er, all this talk of east coast clubs in particular the gold coast I believe is rubbish. I belive its an attempt to try and get an increase, which i think is fair enough! Maher will remain a 36er

Reply #115186 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Don't worry everyone...I'm confident things will work out.
After all, Brett, Mal and Phil have all sat together in an interview when Mal was talking about his desire to have 'local' players in the team.
I'm sure the club and Brett will be on the same page. It's in the interests of both parties to get a good outcome. I'm sure Mal knows that, as would Brett & his agent.

Reply #115191 | Report this post

hoopla  
Years ago

James,
Mal's "Franchise" did not let Forman, Holmes, etc go. This was previous admin. It's my understanding that Mal is trying to start fresh and wipe the slate clean from the past, but it doesn't help when the supporters can't move forward with him.

Reply #115193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana and Hoopla, you are correct. I think it's fair for fans to be optimistic about Brett staying (the club knows how valuable he is) and to be aware that Mal is definitely looking at recruiting South Australians where possible.

Reply #115194 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

It's quite amazing that 108 posts have been dedicated to something that's not going to happen - Maher leaving.

No doubt it was timely for Bell to announce he had been approached about Maher considering Maher's contract is currently being negotiated with the Sixers. It gives him power to get Maher a good deal to finish his career as a Sixer.

Reply #115197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apollo Cread,

One day Brett will retire, what will happen to season ticket holders then?

Reply #115198 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Then we focus on the next generation, anon. But as long as he is physically able to play in the NBL, he has to remain a SIXER. If not, Apollo is right....the 6er fans will become very bitter and dirty. Retiring is very different to not getting paid your dues!

Reply #115200 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Apollo,

If Brett doesn't re-sign with the club, it wouldn't be our lowest point.

Our lowest point was when we cut Brian Devincenzi in 1985. A sad day indeed. Who replaced him again?

Reply #115201 | Report this post

Apollo Cread  
Years ago

Anon #115198,

I personally will be a Season Ticket holder for life, however if Maher finishes his career with another club, its disrespect and just asking for trouble. almost like telling the season ticket holders to drift away with him.
The club will lose respect as well as membership, if he stays to retirement The fans will continue to come out to games through the rebuilding process.

Reply #115202 | Report this post

Apollo Cread  
Years ago

You lost me Moses. cant recall that, although i was only aged 4 at the time.
For starters we won the championship the next year 1986 so it couldnt of been that great a loss.
Then from cellar dwellers to back to back champs in 98 and 99 and other title in 2002.
Thanks to Finals MVP Brett Maher i might add.

Reply #115203 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Moses play fair it is cruel to punish the youngins with deep sixers trivia.

I still say not pursuing Jarvis Basnight was the sixers darkest hour.

Reply #115204 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

At what stage does the club say enough is enough?

Is Maher worth losing huge amount of dollars?

Is it worth missing out on a Newley or signing a top level import to sign Maher?

Is it a good idea to offer Maher a huge salary considering someone has obviously spoken to the media (on Brett's behalf) to apply pressure on the 36ers management? What does that say about the strength of Mal's leadership and the strength of the club's administration?

While I agree the club need to ensure Maher gets a fair salary there has to be a cut off point where the club has to say enough is enough and its not worth crippling the team and club to sign one player. Even Brett Maher.

Reply #115208 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

or we cut one Phil Smyth for a youngster named Brett Maher to get more court time.

I'd be more inclined not to renew my season tickets if Phil is re appointed coach than if Maher goes elsewhere.

Reply #115209 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sawmeinhalf...the fact there have been 108 posts about Maher possibly leaving shows how passionate forum users are on the issue.. regardless of whether it will happen or not.

Reply #115213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said Clark Kent. as i stated in another thread this is a business for Mal now and P&L matters. Brett is a fantastic player and certainly carries the team on many occassions.

By the way did everyone have this issues when the other greats left the team for rival clubs (Bradtke, Cattalini, etc)?

Reply #115214 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon when those guys left they where supposed to come back to the sixers.

They did not leave here to go to another NBL club. Only Rillie and Brogan i can think of that did that.

All that have left have left to go overeas and then returned to other clubs in the NBL, even Willie has done that to us before.

Reply #115215 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Kent...

Wasn't Willie's situation he went back to the US to try for an NBA gig, missed out and by the time he was looking at an NBL return, we had locked in Charles Thomas, so we didnt have space for another import.. I cant recally who the other import was that year, I'm thinking we only had CT due to cap restrictions.

So I don't think it's quite fair to paint Willie with the Cattalini/Bradtke brush.

Reply #115247 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

We had Rychart playing with Thomas as an import.

Reply #115278 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

any chance we can have brett coach the team as well

Reply #115724 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Apollo, it was tongue-in-cheek. We cut an underperforming Brian Devincenzi and replaced him with an import called Mark Davis. Apparently the Davis guy was an OK power forward, so the club took a punt on him.

And the rest as they say, is history.

PS. Kent - I still would've liked to see Karl Luke kick on though. He had an awesome rookie year and then just disappeared.

Reply #116431 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Kent, by the way, what's this about Jarvis Basnight? He died in 1997 aged 81. Were the 36ers looking to recruit him this year?!

"Jarvis Basnight, 81, of the 7000 block of Alligood Road, died Jan. 3, 1997. A funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in St. John's Missionary Baptist Church. Rowsom Funeral Home, Columbia, is in charge."

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pilot/issues/1997/vp970107/01070168.htm

Reply #116432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754