cLaRkY
Years ago

My two cents on Sixers future.......

I may cop a mouthful from many people for this post but this is my view of what I would do over the off season to try and re-create the Sixers as a squad.

My rundown on the current team:
Smyth  Personally I feel he needs to go. His offence is predictable, he fails to motivate a team, and tech fouls at crucial times in games do not help. He was a great coach in our championship years but after his years of service I think its time for him to move on.
Breheny  Follow Smyth, you don't fit in with my image of the "future Sixers"
Maher  Needs to be resigned, has given so much to this club that if a fair and reasonable offer is made to him, he would probably finish out his career in Adelaide.
Cooper  Keep in the team, a large part of the Sixers game revolves around his defence and the ability to get the crucial defensive stops.
Hill  Keep him in the squad and try and improve the minutes and the role that he plays as a member of this team. Keeping young talent in the team will pave the way for the future Sixers club.
Majstovich  Keep in the team again. He provides energy off the bench and consistently contributes with his hustle plays and is one of the few in the current team who takes it hard to the hole.
Sutton  Has been resigned. Keep this kid involved in the team and continue to rotate the minutes that he gets. By developing him well enough and keeping him happy, I feel he could step up and be the next Brett Maher of this club.
Nash  Has a lot of average games but on the whole is not a terrible player. He plays tough defence off the ball and is a true team player who looks to get his team mates involved. Possible resigning.
Ng  Another youngster who should be resigned. With the appropriate training, he could be one to step up and hit clutch shots when we need them. Needs to improve his defence though.
Farley  GONE!!!!!
Wheeler - When healthy provides a good inside option and plays tough inside defence, the trouble is staying healthy. If he wasn't such an injury magnet, I would resign him on a 1 year contract.
Copeland  At 40 years old, and a first time Sixer he was one of the few that has shown any heart and passion in this club over this season. If he feels his body can handle another season then he should be resigned, he lifts a team and those on court.
Timmons  Personally I think he should go. He was an OK replacement for an injured Wheeler, but overall his body is not able to keep up with the game.
Horvath  Had a great start to the season and gradually faded out in my opinion. Look to resign him but do not just throw money at him to keep him.

Ok now onto the signings:
Scott Ninnis  He has not had a head coach role before, but will become on of the best the NBL has seen if given time. Sign him as the replacement to Smyth and move KB up to 1st assistant.
Larry Abney  With the contacts available through Ninnis, I'm confident the Sixers would be able to lure Abney to Adelaide. Is a good offence weapon, and plays tough inside defence. Sign him as the replacement to Farley's soon to be vacant import spot.
Darnell Mee  Looking for reduced minutes coming out of Cairns, and by resigning Maher can provide an experience backup PG with the reduced minutes.

This gives me a line-up looking something like:
Point Guard
Maher
Mee
Sutton
Shooting Guard
Hill
Ng
Copeland
Small Forward
Nash
Majstrovich
Power Forward
Abney
Horvath
Centre
Cooper Horvath

Coaches
Head  Scott Ninnis
Assistant  Kevin Brooks

Now I have no idea how this would go under salary cap or points restrictions, this is just an idea of the direction I feel the club should take.
Just my two cents&&.

Topic #10099 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

cLaRkY, re you comments on Horvath "Look to resign him but do not just throw money at him to keep him. Why would you fill an import spot on a player that you think is not good enough to have money thrown at him? I agree, Horvath is not a top quality import, we could do better. Therefore I would free up his spot.

Reply #115558 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

horvath cant be that bad he was a nbl allstar this year...

Reply #115560 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ritz, its not that difficult to be an NBL allstar in the world team as there are not that many imports to choose from to make up your team.

Reply #115561 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Yeah All-Star is a very loose term in the NBL. Owens from Cairns made it hahahahahahahahaha

Reply #115564 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"Personally I think he should go. He was an OK replacement for an injured Wheeler, but overall his body is not able to keep up with the game."

YOU didn't watch the Tigers game.

Reply #115570 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Thats what i mean EC, he has his good games and can be an impact player in a game. But I dont think he is the kind of import the Sixers should have, but if a contract is resigned, i hope large amounts of money aren't wasted on him

Reply #115571 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

EC trying to convince fans to bring back a certain import?

Maybe a very recent one?

Reply #115575 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Maybe with a non ball hogging import Horvath will get the ball more in the 2nd half of games.

Reply #115578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was Dusty Rychart in the All Star Game? Just kidding.

I'm with Clarky a bit - at the right price, get Horvath back (sounds like he should be back, I think), but there's still some work for him on his game and from the team in working him into the offense best.

One reason that favours him being kept is that he's an excellent option to keep the scoreboard ticking over if the shooters dry up.

Reply #115583 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

My 2 cents...

Sutton is a great player, but the next Brett Maher? Your argument is very elastic

If anyone is the next Brett it is probably Brad Hill.

And I'm not sure what games you have been watching re Wheeler, but they're certainly not the same ones I have been. Dude hasn't done much even when on the court, not much at all

Reply #115587 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Gee you guys are slow, I nearly fell asleep waiting for the DR responses. All I can say is that you don't have to be Nostradamus to see that his situation is different in Brisbane. He may be on a good thing being part of a winning team, but his opportunities are far more limited due to the make up of the team. We all know what he is capable of when given the right amount of court time and responsibilities. I doubt I need to argue that one. I also doubt I need to argue his work ethics.

Reply #115588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offence Clarky but that team is not playoff material.

Reply #115589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sutton is not the next anyone but Sutton. More confidence and defense than a Jason Williams. Not going to replace Brett Maher. He'll be more of what we've seen to date - good effort, unselfish, can score some points, plays defense - all without being so good that another team would poach him. That's good for a back-up guard for a few years at least.

Reply #115590 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Maybe we can argue his thriftyness? ;)

Reply #115591 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(I love this joke...)

Kwest, this is for you:

Schueller goes up to Rychart, "Dusty, can I borrow $20?"
Dusty replies, "$10?! What do you need $5 for???"

Reply #115592 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

funny stuff!

Reply #115595 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Horvath wouldn't have tapered off as the season went on, if he got the ball in the post where he doesn't miss! Having said that I would like him to work on his passes out of the post when the defence collapses, instead of taking on the double team...

Reply #115605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That SF spot looks pretty dodgy cLaRkY.

Reply #115608 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Is it about the right time for starting up the Vin Baker rumour again?

Reply #115611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mal is no fool and all indications support that assumption, he knows he needs a 'team and coach' to make money so lets wait and see what he delivers by way of signings for the new season.
A status quo would suggest all sorts of conspiracy theories.

Reply #115616 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

A key indicator for next season should be to finalise their squad as early as possible.

This season is an absolute shambles. The team appeared to be cobbled together at the last minute with predictable pre and early season poor performances. The team (Sic) then progressed to the rabble it currently is.

In relation to imports and coaches - Go to the obvious. The team lacks a consistently effective point guard to run court play. If they get one and develop another (Hill/Sutton) the rest falls into place.

To reiterate, the 36'ers lack on court leadership.

Reply #115617 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree with anon - need better production at the SF spot. How do you compete with Cattalini, Saville, McKinnon (could now be considered a 4), Tucker/Thomas, Newley etc

Reply #115667 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Keep :

Maher
Hill
Sutton
Ng

Keep At Right Price :

Horvath
Cooper
Timmons

Throw On The Trash Pile :

Copeland - Love him, but if want Hill to get a serious and consistent role Copeland has to go.

Majstrovich - There are many players in the league who give you much of what he gives you with less of his serious negatives.

Nash - Buy him out. Has had maybe five good games all season. Is just too limited.

Wheeler - Was a mistake to sign him in the first place.

Smyth & Co. - This is will instantly breath fresh air in to the organization. The gig was great but has got stale. The team needs new players, a new image and a new style. I believe Smyth is incapable of adapting a new style. He does what he does. It worked like a treat for a while, but it's done.

Reply #115686 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You can hear it now Jasmine...

" Stick a fork in me Mal, I'm done!"

Reply #115689 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

How about getting Casey Frank? Every time I see him play, he impresses me more and more. He'd be an upgrade on both Nash and Majstrovich and anyone who saw the Hawks/Crocs game Wednesday night would know how powerful and explosive he is.

Reply #115708 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Alot of people will disagree with me, but...
Ng and Hill both need to do. Ng has absolutely NO defence, none what so ever, I'd do better in D than him and I suck. Also has horrible ball control, and other teams know it.
His 3 point shooting is on 1 game, of the next 4, on again. Highest scorer in our BAD only games when the rest of the team sucked.
Hill doesnt have the composure and you we cant wait 20 years for him to gain it. He cant shoot well enough or control the ball well enough for this level.

Sutton I think will develop into a good player. He has shown LEADERSHIP on the court and for a young fella this is huge. His ball control is alot better than Ng or Hill as is his defence. The only real negative he has against Ng is his 3 point shooting, but Ng so freaking off and on with that its not going to be a big loss.

Reply #115713 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

no... just NO!

Reply #115740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

twenty four, the question over Casey Frank is apparently on his defensive ability. However, I think he'd be worth trying for at the right price too.

Reply #115751 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

I'd like to blame all of my spelling errors in my last post on the fact that it was late and I might have damaged my keyboard from excessive hitting.

Reply #115753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754