Isaac
Years ago

The Gilbert Arenas Vendetta Tour

"The most important game is on Feb. 11 [against Portland]," Arenas wrote. "Well, it's not the most important, but that's the game I'm going to say is my next 50-pointer. ... Tune in. I think ESPN or TNT needs to pick that game up."
He's not so concerned about the Wizards' game against Phoenix:
"No, I already did what I said I was going to do to them," Arenas said. "The next team is Portland. One down, one to go."
So, what's the deal with this Vendetta Tour? Gilbert didn't make the US team for the world champs. The assistant coaches of that team? D'Antoni from the Suns and McMillan from Portland. The team was coached by Krzyzewski of Duke.

Asked about Gilbert's planned revenge, D'Antoni said:
"I can't wait to see what he does against Duke," D'Antoni said. "He's gonna KILL Duke."
Classic stuff.

Topic #10143 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

What did he drop against Phoenix?

Reply #116130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Wizards won 144-139 on the road in OT. Gilbert had 54 points (21 of 37 FG).

Reply #116136 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

It's hard to take a man named Gilbert seriously

Reply #116137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Par for the course in the NBA - Earl, Kwame, Shaquille, Carmelo, LeBron, etc. I only take them seriously because they could kick my butt!

Reply #116138 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Yeah Isaac, Carmelo could bitch slap you & then run away!

Reply #116147 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

But is scoring 50 going to make the USA team coaches select him?

Maybe that's the attitude that got him excluded from the team in the first place.

They are more looking for a team game, I thought.

Reply #116164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well they didnt have much of a team game at the world championships. I believe if USA want gold they need to play somewhat european style basketball. They need clutch players who can make the open shot all the time. I know if i was the USA coach id have Gilbert as my starting PG and Ray Allen at shooting guard, Melo at SF, Dwight howard at PF for a big and dominant prescence and a risky pick but Brad miller at the centre spot. Hits open shots, a gret 3 point shooter and arguably the best and most under rated passer in the NBA.

Reply #116170 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

On Brad Miller,

I got the feeling that Brad Miller didn`t have any friends on the USA BBall squad in Japan...
I went to the semi-final games in Tokyo and after the first game which the USA lost, when the team came out to watch the second semi-final... all of the players had their little cliques Carmelo, Dywade, James for example (they were actually pretty upbeat looking at the animated converstaion they seemed to be having and the laughing they were doing) - and Brad (i swear this is true) was sitting on his lonesome 2-3 seats away from those guys not saying a word to anyone... I wasn`t watching the whole time but it struck me as pretty poor - it seemed to me that he didn`t fit in on that team - or maybe it just says a lot about the esprit de corps on the last USA BBall team...

Reply #116175 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Whoa, anon #116170 opened a whole new can of worms there. Gilbert (who often plays shooting guard) is a shoot first point guard.

I would rather use Dwayne wade who gets everyone into the game. I thought Melo did a good job of dominating inside, but yeah Dwight (love that name) is the force of the future.

Ray Allen will never make the team as they are looking for a younger team. I think the main thing they have to do is adapt to the European game (pick and roll, less one on one, less protection of guards driving). The players that can do that will excell.

Yeah that did suck about Miller. You think they would try to include everyone in the team. At least make an effort to joke around with him a bit.

Reply #116177 | Report this post

Kidd PG
Lebron SG
Melo SF
Amare PF
Dwight C

who would beat this team. America are stupid

Reply #116209 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Well based on recent eveidence... Greece (all five guys on court can shoot threes, and Schortsanitis could neutralize Amare or Howard quite handily - and give some back too), and Spain (Spain's backcourt was as good if not better than the USA's) would beat the above team as well... and the second part of your question yes as a nation the USA (lets not generalize to two whole continents - Canadians are nice as are Mexicans, Argentines, and Brazillians) are dumber than a bag of hammers...

Reply #116243 | Report this post

Rodney carney  
Years ago

First of all USA refers to the country not the continent. Brazil, Mexico etc aren't part of the United States of America. when you say 'was' as good if not better? what do you mean? and whats this recent evidence based on cause from what I've seen recently, Howard and Amare have been unstoppable but i guess in all fairness I haven't seen any of the greek bigs play . Also Do you mean their back court is more talented or better suited to the international game or all of the above and do you think they still will be come 08 considering Kobe's joining the team? And before anyone starts getting defensive I'm just saying, theres obviously a logic as to what you posted otherwise you wouldn't have posted and I'm just trying to follow it

Reply #116260 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Pretty much as Gilbert suggested it would go down, Phoenix thumped the daylights out of Washington in the "return" bout today, 127-105.

More gold from Suns coach D'Antoni about Arenas' motivation:

"I think it's funny," D'Antoni said. "I think he's having fun with it. Whatever it takes to motivate you.

You would think making about $80 million might motivate you, but if it takes something else that's fine, too."

Reply #116363 | Report this post

bob jane  
Years ago

Reply #116422 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

The Portland game was today, and it seems Gilbert didn't get much vendetting done: link.

Summary: 3 from 15 from the field (including 0 for 8 from behind the arc) for 9 points. That would be 41 less than he said he would contribute.

But, according to Arenas, there's a obvious reason for why he failed to deliver:

We have a new philosphy now and that is focusing on defense ... right now we are still adjusting to that.

Wizards' coach Eddie Jordan tactfully agreed to disagree, though:

"That's just plain stupid," Jordan said of Arenas' comments about playing defense.

Reply #119064 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754