Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Sixers v Bullets - the Mackinnon Challenge

After recovering from the shock that the 36ers tipping site didn't allow me to put in a three-digit margin for this game, I got to thinking:

Pick a statistical category, and then name the THREE Sixers that, combined, Sam Mackinnon will outperform by himself in this category in Saturday's game.

Here's my entries (done on gut feel, without the inconvenience of checking players' season stats thus far and so forth):

Assists: Maher, Copeland and Ng
Rebounds: Nash, Timmons and Horvath
Blocks: Cooper, Nash and Horvath
Steals: Maher, Copeland and, um, Sutton
Fouls: Sutton, Maher and Wheeler.

Now some of these are big calls (assists and blocks to name two) but I think three out of six is doable for Sam.

Joey Wright must also rise to the Mackinnon Challenge by playing the man for at least 45 minutes, regardless of scoreline.

The Mackinnon Challenge is officially now on: will he - or the Sixers - rise to meet it?

Topic #10180 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

This is the funniest idea I've seen in a while.

Not sure why you're not picking Timmons, Copeland and Sutton for rebounds though? Trying to make it a challenge for Sam?

Reply #116548 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Absolutely: picking players from the appropriate positions for the statline, ie guards for assists, bigs for blocks/rebounds, and so forth.

Otherwise a) it wouldn't be as much fun and b) I'd have to rename it the Mackinnon Walk-In-The-Park.

Reply #116560 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

The results are in: Mackinnon was indeed not up to the challenge.

Assists: Mackinnon 6, three nominated Sixers (or TNS) 12

Rebounds: Mackinnon 11, TNS 14

Blocks: Mackinnon 2, TNS 4

Steals: Mackinnon 0, TNS 1

Fouls: Mackinnon 6, TNS 7.

My question is: based on all of this, how did the Sixers lose? :)

Reply #116952 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Would have made embarrasing reading if Bo had gone with Isaac's suggested lesser lights, his three rebounders (Timmons, Copeland and Sutton) managed 3 boards between them all night - all of them to Sutton!

If only I'd put the following combinations down last week....

Assists: Copeland, Ng, Sutton (6 total - all guards)

Rebounds: Horvath, Cooper, Timmons (11 total - all big men)

Blocks: Wheeler, Horvath, Sutton (2 total - 2 of 3 big men)

Steals: Maher, Copeland, Mastro (2 total)

Fouls: Maher, Cooper, Sutton (4 total)

Bo, did this analysis answer your question of how the Sixers lost!!

Reply #117074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My girlfriend met Timmons on Saturday night and, being a casual follower of the basketball via me recognised that anyone so attired was likely a player, asked who he played for and did he win, etc. She asked how many points he scored and he said "18". Not quite, Marcus!

Reply #117082 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Don't be so harsh Isaac, he just had the decimal point in the wrong place. He actually got 1.8 points (rounded up to 2).

It does beg the question though: when Timmons has a good game, and scores say 25-30 points, how many points does this become when he meets the ladies post-game?

Lady: So, how many points did you score tonight?
Timmons: Um...(coughs)...a few. If you want me to nail down an exact figure, it was (coughs) 314. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but I was in the zone. Couldn't miss.

Reply #117110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminds me of the NBA Fantasy ad on NBA.com video where the office jockey is interviewing Paul Pierce -

"I can give you 30 points per game..."
"30?"
"OK, 23.5."

Reply #117112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754