how do brisbane get away with there super star squad

Topic #10198 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

because the NBL don't police it.

Reply #116714 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

abc They do so police it, didnt you see Adelaide get investigated a few years back when we were about $10 over.
Brisbane is just such a great team and such a wonderful enviroment some of the top players of the game went fromm $200,000 a year to $50,000. Thats whats been happening at Sydeny for about...well how long have they been in the league??

Reply #116718 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Skudpud are you being sarcastic? That could be the only reason for your post....SURELY!

Reply #116745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think its called creative accounting........

Reply #116755 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Ohh yeh that was sarcasm, I should have put a note underneath, I forget that some people would actually post what I did...but seriously

Reply #116759 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Seriously as if any of the teams declare all player remuneration including 36r's. Just coz one team kicks ass everyone tries to bring em down somehow.

Reply #116780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league has recently admitted that it doesn't police the cap (well) at all.

The Bullets blow the cap because they can. That's all there is to it.

Reply #116792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL doesn't police it..Why don't the 36ers blow the cap then?

Hopefully next season, the 36ers will

Reply #116817 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hopefully Mal & Co have lots of money. We too can cheat the salary cap next season. Woody, how do you think Adelaide have breached the salary cap this year before a private buyer came into the picture and the government had control of the finances?

Reply #116826 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

From bein involved with NBL clubs i know that there definately would have been cash, goods, expenses covered etc etc for players. It might not be to the extent of brisbane but i can almost guarantee you it happens. You would be living in a dream world if you thought that any club including the sixers declared everything.. its just how it is.

Reply #116827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some clubs are abiding by the cap, Adelaide included.

Note that there has been criticism on here of decisions to cheat the cap in the past - e.g., fines.

EC, why would you hope that the team cheats? Wouldn't you want to win honestly? I'm not sure if Damien Ryan put them over, but at the start of the season I would assume that the Wildcats were sticking to the cap and have you seen where they are on the ladder recently?

Reply #116851 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Surely If all the teams are cheating the cap then maybe its time to drastically increase, and then police the cap. The whole reason the cap was reduced (oh that came at a bad time for adelaide) was because some of the clubs were struggling, those clubs have folded anyway and we have moved on.
With the increase in Australian Talent that we are seeing every year I think the caps going to have to gradually increase with the caliber of players.

Reply #116862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All teams aren't cheating the cap.

Reply #116865 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"EC, why would you hope that the team cheats? Wouldn't you want to win honestly?" Isaac, I would want to compete and win on an even playing field. The Bullets thrashed us last night and most of the talk was about how much better they are and how bad we are. When the difference in salary cap determines the team you have, then cheating would seem fair if everyone is doing it. No one comes along and takes away your championship trophy because you cheated the salary cap. If that threat was there, then perhaps all would adhere to the rules. I have never ever suggested that Adelaide should have an unfair advantage, whether it be the salary cap or the quality of officiating.

Reply #116890 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, these are the exact words you posted on another thread. "It's worth looking back through Brisbane's results recently - there are a lot of big 20-40 point wins at home and on the road. That's what happens when you ignore the cap." You asked if I wouldn't want to win honestly. The answer is yes I do want to win honestly and yes I do not want to lose dishonestly.

Reply #116891 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Isaac I was referring to a post earlier that stated all team were cheating the cap, I think its obvious we aren't:)

Reply #116901 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The cap system never works, just like tax those that have money find ways not to pay it.

Whilst there is a cap teams will find "secondary employment" for their stars.

I have been told that good old Mick Corkeron's job for the sixers was to make sure on game day we had enough hot dogs to go into the hot dog buns at games....lets just say that that gig paid above the award wage.

The point system was supposed to be a secondary way to stop breaches but then the league has even been able to show its willingness to bend rules to help teams out.

Reply #116923 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Why have a freaken cap anyway?

Police it or don't have it.

Reply #116926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But cheating the cap isn't the only way to win. Perth are getting it done with a solid team that has gelled and is motivated.

Right now, the NBL doesn't have a level playing field. That needs to be corrected.

But I'd like to see more done to address the maximum we can achieve under the cap before we solve problems with money alone.

Reply #116940 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, Perth is a different argument. I am referring to you saying that's what happens when you ignore the cap. We have teams like Brisbane on top of the ladder and that may be linked to a breach of salary cap competing against a team like Adelaide within the cap. That is well and truly an unfair advantage. As I said, I do not want to lose dishonestly.

Reply #117071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sure, Brisbane would be blatantly disregarding the cap and winning and it's hardly fair, but Perth is proof that you can win honestly, so we can't use the cap as an excuse.

That said, I would like to see the playing field a bit more level.

Are Perth that much better (3rd vs 11th) on paper than us? I don't think so - they have Robbins, Dowdell, Brown and Hunt in their ten-man roster - I would take Copeland, Sutton, Ng and Timmons if I were picking a one-off team.

Reply #117083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are easy ways to get around the cap, usually made easier by sponsors and the like. eg players buying homes or cars off sponsors for tens of thousands of dollars cheaper hen what they would usually cost etc

Reply #117099 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754