Anonymous
Years ago

5AA phil to jump

5aa rumor that phil is going to jump. No name on source but KG said if it came from who he thought that it might be right.

Topic #10207 | Report this topic

Stingray  
Years ago

Should not retire, this is one season. Give him a chance to revive what he let slide this season.
If he goes then s will breahny.

Who does ADELAIDE want as their coach? include current or non current NBL coaches.

Reply #116930 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Stacker will get the gig I think.

Reply #116931 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I've also heard Stacker mentioned.

Reply #116933 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I hope not..

Reply #116934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just run a get ninnis if its true. The SA connention Mal wants and the youth like him.

Reply #116936 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

If Phil Smyth walks (he will not be pushed) the onlyperson for the job is Scott Ninnis.

Hiring Ian Stacker would almost be as bad as Brendon Joyce (almost) because he is just a knob head who didn't do squat at T/ville.

Ninnis or talk Smyth into staying on.

Reply #116938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have found Stacker professional in my dealings with him, for what that's worth.

Ninnis/Arsego is the rumoured alternative.

Reply #116941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil is not going anywhere.

Mal and the rest of the 36ers know that the team that was put together for this year was done on a shoe string budget and had no direction from anyone.

Next year th eteam will keep maybe 3-4 at most of it's current players and open their cheque book (shold I say Eddys) and go on a spending spree.

Reply #116942 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Left field and it wont happen .... Carrie Graf.

Reply #116943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thought isaac has send numerious time it was not a team on a tight budget.

Reply #116944 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends what you classify as a tight budget. For all intents and purposes, they spent the cap, but not more.

Reply #116945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just heard it again, maybe there is truth to this

Reply #116948 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Phil to walk? Sounds plausible. I'd bale. Not a fun job this year. He'll get another gig somewhere soon.
Ninnis/Arsego - sounds good to me.
Graf - pffft. Jan Stirling would be much better (got a better gig tho)

Reply #116954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there was a female coach that could do the job hert and sole then it would be Graf no problems there.

Rumour is that Stacker is alledged to have been talking the job up as his. my dealings with Stack like posted before has been straight up and professional.

Reply #116960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well atleast Graf wouldn't be sleeping with any of the players - thats one positive.

Reply #116963 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I don't think Phil would be sleeping with any of the players either...

Reply #116964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's only counts out Maher, Sutton, Cooper and AJ from saturdays game because the others certainly don't count as player after their performance.

Reply #116966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My vote is for Scott Ninnis, time to rebuild with a plan and a vision. You can't do that with guys 35+.

Reply #116967 | Report this post

brick city  
Years ago

Ninnis for sure. Young, local, 10 years experience as assistant at 3 teams. He is well known and well liked and will pull a lot of young SA talent back to their home state. The 36ers defiantly need a change at the top just to freshen thinks up if nothing else.

Reply #116969 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

The coach is irrelevant, get some f**king talent on the court first

Reply #116971 | Report this post

Years ago

Stacker WAS in Adelaide last week. Dunno if it had anything to do with the sixers.

Reply #116983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach first - then go and recruit the talent the club needs.

Plenty of rumours abound that Stacker has already got the gig, what exactly is being said on 5AAA and the rest of the local media?

Reply #116984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i just heard the rumor that phil is going to walk, that was it.

Reply #116986 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Awesome news! I will admire Smyth if he has the courage to stand down at the end of the season Instead of continuing so he can collect another seasons salary.

We need a rebuild and Ninnis is the man to do it! Signs are looking great for next season.

Reply #116987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am just waiting for the "Full Support of the Board" comment to be made by Mal - then we will know for sure he is gone - jumped or pushed.

Reply #116988 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

WOW, i sorta want Smyth to stay on and hava crack at rebuilding it with Hemmerling, but given he did the same thing with the Boomers i wouldnt be surprised if he just cut his losses and moved on, he hinted he would do it if he felt it was time on his interview with peter walsh on abc.net.au. I just saw a post on ozhoopsboards about a rumour of Stacker, Newley, Cat and Mee coming to Adelaide, anyone else heard this one or think its true???

Reply #116989 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If only there was a board to support him.

Reply #116990 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Phil to go Ninnis to come in

Reply #116991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man it would be so awesome if ninnis became head coach, love that guy.

Reply #116992 | Report this post

Rex Banner  
Years ago

Phil Jackson

Adelaide needs some Zen

Reply #116995 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jonno, yes that rumour is around the place, but then there are loads of them, many at odds with others.

Reply #116996 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

ok yea, we will just have to wait and see, i dont know about Stacker as a coach im not his biggest fan and would personally prefer Ninnis or Smyth but i would love to see Newley, Mee and Cat back in Adelaide, a team like PG Mee, SG Maher, SF Newley, PF Cat, C Horvath with a bench along the lines of Cooper, Majstro, Ng, Sutton, Hill would be a great team in my opinion, some would question the age of the starting 5, but Horvath and Newley are both under 30 and the other 3 can still play and it would still be a younger team than this years so i would have no problem with it. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens!

Reply #117005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Mee still playing as an import?

Reply #117011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, naturalised during this season which is why Cairns are able to suit Owens and Thornton as their imports.

Reply #117012 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

At least the Adelaide - Goorjian rivalry would continue to flourish if Stacker was coaching the Sixers.

Reply #117014 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea thats a good point, and if Stacker is able to bring guys like Newley with him that makes him very attractive to hire, but yea i would still prefer Smyth or Ninnis personally, interesting times ahead it seems, has the Smyth to jump rumour been confirmed yet??

Reply #117015 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Phil is being pushed but will portray it as it was his decision to leave. Stacker will get the gig with Ninny as his assistant plus he will bring Newley with him if Mal opens the cheque book. Good situation for Newls at the moment with Gold Coast also bidding for his services. As it will be a rebuilding phase it is a win-win for both coaches. Stacker has the experience and is just happy to coach again and it brings Ninny home without the pressure of starting a programme from scratch, which is essentially what will need to be done. Not good for Ninny to take charge as there is no harder job than a rebuild plus throw in the pressure of being a new head coach, better to sit as an assistant for another year or two. Top job would be guaranteed after that.If you screw it up you only get one chance. Just ask Richard Orlick or Frank Arsego.

Reply #117016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only the one source reporting it to date - not really all that confirmed at this point.

Reply #117017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smyth will not fall on his sword but would want to walk into another gig or media job (his choice to leave etc etc) so my guess is he's been looking around for a media spot with 5aa or elsewhere and they've caught wind of it all. otherwise where else in the nbl is available? with the gold coast spot taken, theres only the hawks gig that could be a possibility??

Reply #117018 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

what happens to his assistants??? Breheny seems to be a package deal with Smyth, but what happens to KB??? i guess it will depend on if the new coach wants him

Reply #117027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard from someone at the game that KB is not being offered a contract next season. Apparently they were told from an employee of Fox Sports who sits on the bench doing stats.

Reply #117031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Mal then some suggested Eddy but it would seem it's the Fox Sports Stats guy who really owns the 36ers!

How did we ever miss that???

Reply #117037 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Phil should be given another year to see what he can do with a much better team. While this year it appears he has failed, he has had poor tools to work with. He knows how to win championships when he has the right team. While Joey Wright seems to be the coach of the year because of what he has done with his team, he also had a team last season that on paper should have won a championship (and also rumored to be well above the salary cap). They didn't even make the grand finals. A great coach can have his work cut out for him if he doesn't have a great team to work with. Give him the right tools and then leave it up to him to use them right.

Reply #117048 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

EC, Phil was quoted as saying his team had the talent to win the championship. Is he a poor judge of talent or has he failed to get the best out of what he believed to be a very talentd group.You cant have it both ways.

Reply #117050 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Its very easy to re quote Phil from earlier this year lets face it he is not going to say we have no hope. Do not buy your tickets its all doom and gloom. He still has to support the product and instil some confidence for the fans and the club.

Previous seasons when we have a team which I did not rate we have done fairly well. Although I have been very disappointed this season so 1 in 10 geez I feel so hard done by. Imagine being a Hunter fan or Newcastle fan try Townsville whom on paper have had some really good squads and delivered not that much.

Its all about perspective, bringing up what Phil says preseason its a product does everyone here purchase anti wrinkle creams on the hope it will work? try being a coach of side that really is a band aid and tell the fans what you really think who are you kidding.

Reply #117051 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Thats a fair post

Reply #117054 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

couldn't we put this season down as an expirement young v's old.....
last seasons crew holmes, foreman, gower and slambour v's copeland timmons and wheeler.
the young crew made play offs but where knocked out in sudden death,where the old crew are struggling to even make playoffs.

Reply #117056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My choice:

Ninnis head coach
Sapwell and KB as assistants

I wouldn't mind seeing Jan Stirling getting a go either (or Phil Jackson)

Reply #117058 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

With all this talk Stacker vs Ninnis, why cant we have them both? Give Stacker a two year deal with Ninnis as 1st assistant for two years - sappa, kb whoever as second assistant, than after the 2 years stacker gets moved on Ninnis has a team he has had a hand in assembling/rebuilding and is now headcoach with the 2nd assistant moving up as well.

Seems logical to me?

Reply #117060 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

booga - i dont think you could view it that way at all - timmons and copeland both signed during the season.

i still think copeland has been one of the better performers this season, Timmons I think is well and truly past the NBL.

The youngs guns have done a serviceable job this year, but i wouldnt say any of them have had a stellar year.

Reply #117062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of Copeland.. too old!

rather have a younger guy (even if he doesn't contribute as much as Copeland in stats) who will stick around for many years and be part of the future of the club

Reply #117063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil isn't going anywhere.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21138887-5006371,00.html

Reply #117073 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Um Yogee, Copeland was signed before the season started!

Reply #117084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anthony, if you don't have confidence in the roster, pitch them as the underdogs or recruit and development talent for the future benefit of the club (and don't bother with the 'young talent just goes elsewhere' argument - that only happens if you let them come out of contract). You don't need to float an average team as contenders if you don't believe it.

Remember that Boti, too, had high hopes for the roster and he is not in marketing for the club, he reports on what he sees. Everyone can remember Breheny touting Majstrovich as a potential Cattalini, Boti saying Willie was looking like he was in 2002 form and that Nashy would be a contender for the Sixth Man award.

Now, a lot of the year does come down on the player's shoulders but you're suggesting that Smyth would puff up the team to sell tickets - I don't think we were ever going to be favourites, but I think pitching them as an outside chance was fair and that fans hoping for a 6-8 finish were reasonable.

Reply #117087 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

So its pretty clear... you adelaide boys want Joyce as head coach...ha.
The impact of a switch to Ninnis would create a hige amount of Buzz in Hoops in SA. Everyone loves him, he's connected.
Ninni

Reply #117095 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

So its pretty clear... you adelaide boys want Joyce as head coach...ha.
The impact of a switch to Ninnis would create a hige amount of Buzz in Hoops in SA. Everyone loves him, he's connected.
Ninni

Reply #117096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti did pick 6ers to finish 3rd for memory...

Reply #117098 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Simple answer to this

Smyth head coach in 07/08 as per contract, scott ninnis assistant coach in 07/08..with first option on head coach 08/09+ if results dont stack up

Reply #117117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Breheny?

Reply #117119 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Me, why would Ninny want to come back and be an assistant to Smyth again? What is he going to learn now that he maybe didn't in the past? He'd be better off staying where he is if this scenario were to happen.

Reply #117128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smyth and breheny come as a package deal. you cant have one without the other........

Reply #117132 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I assume he (Ninnis) would want to come back, if he were guarenteed a head coach role in 08/09.

If (lol) as the current owner the stats man from fox is correct, KB wont have a role next year..which opens space for Smyth, Ninnis/Breheny

I still believe there is not a better head coach option available to replace Smyth with, maybe with an increased Assistants coach's role, Ninnis will be the option.

Reply #117163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ninnis ain't coming back under the current regime, take it from me.

Reply #117194 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yep, I'll concur with that....

Reply #117206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ninnis wants to be a head coach, not an assistant to Smyth and Breheny. Why would he take a backward step?

Reply #117210 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Its not a backward step..what is his current role? Which by the way lets be honest was one hell of a slap in the face in my opinion.

What evidence does anyone have to suggest that Ninnis will be a better head coach than Smyth. My 'theory" is based on Ninnis taking a very senior role at the 36ers with an assumption of the head coach role in 08/09 (if he has shown to have the right stuff.)

Apart from the typical rantings of the anti Phil brigade. What i have seen this year (and i will be honest, being stuck over here means ive only seen then twice live) Phils coaching has appeared much that same as years in which we won the championship.

Seems clear to me, from everyones comments here as well as what ive seen as to what has been reported.
1) Willie has had a poor year
2) the replacements were not up to the job
3) Maher has had a less than "Maher" standard year.
4) injuries were relevant
5) we had a cr#p squad

Players win games, coaches win championships, we havent won enough games!

Reply #117260 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Me,
Maher has averaged about the same as he has the last 3 seasons, plus carried us a lot more than ever!

I agree with the rest of your comments though...

Reply #117263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me,

What makes you think Phil would stay knowing that he was being replaced for the 08/09 season?

Ninnis went to Dragons to be their 1st Assistant. He would not return to Adelaide to be 2nd Assistant to Phil and Steve when he has already done that.

Reply #117265 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Phil will have to stay regardless of what happens with Ninnis, he is contracted, doesnt have a choice really. (other than to leave, which would save the club cash..and give those of you who want him, Ninnis as head coach)

Ninnis went to dragons be the 1st assistant...is he?

Regarding Maher, i havent checked the stats carefully, my apologies, was just a general feeling i had about his season, I certainly was not suggesting he had not performed...more that injury etc had restricted him. I stand corrected.

Reply #117266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754