M Dizzle
Years ago

All-Star Selection

I think it's time for the league to change its allstar voting system. Yes the fans deserve a say as they are the ones who pay to go watch the games, but you've got to reward the players who show up every night and earn a spot. Shaquille O'neal automatically gets the start at centre after 3 games avg 12 and 6. Dwight Howard the best centre in the east is relegated to the bench where someone like Emeka Okafor avg 15 11 and 3 blocks misses out. Nowitzki and nash not in the wests best 5? I think there are enough informed members of the nba and its media to get an even vote while still incorporating the fans votes too. Your thoughts?

Topic #10222 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

I agree Shaq should not be there. Maybe the NBA should have a required amount of games needed to play in the All-Star Game? Maybe something like 20 games by the time the teams are named. I think that's a fair number, about half of what most teams would have played.

Reply #117135 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

You dont think that Shaq - for example, would be more entertaining to watch than Okafor ?
Okafor is having a good season - but NOT a spectacular one.Plus, i dont think people will be getting excited about watching him play.

People love Shaq because he can do the unexpected (usually runs the point at some stage of an All-Star game and dunks HARD on people on the break) and is the biggest personality in the game - basketball is now an entertainment product remember ?

I do agree that Nash should be starting - and also Nowitski .

Reply #117136 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The All Star game should be about recognising and acknowledging players who are having excellent seasons (Shaq isn't) than recognising popularity contests which the current format is supporting.

I'm guessing most big ticket players have endorsement and contract bonus for playing in the All-Star game, hence why Shaq will take his undeserved starting spot.

Oak deserves to be there more than Shaq, but as Skyhook said, Shaq will put more cans into seats.

Reply #117138 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the all star game is for the fans not anyone else. obviuosly shaq is popular!

Reply #117150 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

What about in the early 90's when Magic retired but was still voted to play the all-star game? Was still a huge favourite an he won the MVP in a swansong final game! (until his comeback in '96)

I guess it can work both ways

Reply #117222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754