The Journo
Years ago

Give Horvath the BALL!!

Horvarth had 8 points before you could refresh the screen, yet he only has 12 at the half?

Give him the ball or he is bricking a lot of shots?

I reckon he needs the ball!

Topic #10240 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is the time when horvath get lazy and stops working hard to get position, so he wont see the ball again

Reply #117379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cause he ain't going to grab a rebound himself.

Reply #117382 | Report this post

Moe's tavern  
Years ago

another foul by horvarth thats 5

Reply #117385 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

OUCH so far Knight 18 rebounds Horvath 3, thats a fair whacking on the boards! If farley is apparantly on the out is Horvath also??? i rekcon Farley has been as good if not better than Horvath this season, both have been a bit incosisitant and down on previous seasons form in my opinion

Reply #117392 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

thats why they call him 1st half horvath

Reply #117413 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

There you all go

HORVATH 6/9 FG and 9/11 FT for 21 pts.

Imagine if he had 15-20 shots????

Reply #117423 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Everyone has been shouting out all season "give Horvath the Ball". Why has nothing changed when even the coaches admit that it has been a problem? Its about time someone suggested that the problem is with Horvath and not the team failing to get him the ball. Why else would he have 8 in the first 2 minutes and only add another 4 for the remaining 22 minutes to half time. He has had a consistent second half problem all season. The Sixers of the past have always recognised a player having a good night and therefore continually look for that player. If someone is hot, you assist him to continue the hot form. This hasn't happened with Horvath. He is a "part-time" import, the team needs a "full-time" import.

Reply #117429 | Report this post

benji  
Years ago

mediocre - of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.

Reply #117434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC is wrong!

"The Sixers of the past have always recognised a player having a good night and therefore continually look for that player. If someone is hot, you assist him to continue the hot form."

Put simply: this has not happened this season with Horvath.. the problem is with the Sixers, not Horvath as an individual

Reply #117437 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

EC, the Sixers may have had a history of getting the ball to the hot man, but when have they ever consistently got the ball into the post??
Horvath, Rogers, Wheeler (when healthy), Garrisson, even back to Trimmingham and Catt( they used the ball more on the wings than in the post)...these guys have never got the ball enough in the low block to be able to dominate. Sure it might happen for a few plays, but then we go back to bombing threes even when a guy gets good position!
We just never seem to have an inside outside game for more than 3 or 4 plays.. it always goes back to transition threes, and off the dribble crap!

Reply #117451 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

EC, what a load of bollocks. If you've ever played in the post you'd know how much energy it requires to constantly present a target for guards to get you the ball.Can you blame him for stopping to present consistently when the perimeter guys
a. first instinct is to jack up a three and
b.don't even understand reading the post 'd' and passsing angles in the first place. You only need to look at Brisbane to see how this is done.
Not hard, basic basketball but then again there is a lot of basic stuff this team doesn't do well.

Reply #117453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A question regarding Horvath not getting the ball often enough:

Is it just that Phil Smyth doesn't run plays for Horvath?
Are the Sixers just not used to having a dominant big man? Can't remember the last time they actually had a dominant big man/centre who they USED AS AN OFFENSIVE THREAT (eg. someone like Anstey, Bradtke, Rogers, Melmeth)

Reply #117476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

476, not sure that "team not used to big man" is a reason. Half the team this year is new. Copeland played a bucketload of years with Bradtke. Sutton played ABA with Dix, Farman, Vasiljevic and Rees. Majstro (unsure) might've played with Rogers in Perth and Pepper in NZ (?). Timmons played with Bradtke too and Wheeler in the SEABL.

I'm happy to defer to experts, but I think the second half lapses could be attributed to opponents concentrating on Horvath more, Horvath tiring or playing with foul trouble, or Smyth changing game plan (potentially due to either of those other two reasons). I don't think that at any stage Smyth purposely decides to stop going to his import. AFAIK, he and the club are big fans of what Horvath brings to the team.

Reply #117478 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

EC and Benji u idiots!

Horvath is one of the best big guys and THE BEST low post player in the league... yet he gets 9 shots in less minutes than copeland.

also, i think darren ng is the first player in the NBL this year to top-score for his team 3 games in a row and then play 21 and 17 minutes the next 2 games. Smyth is dumber than EC!

Reply #117537 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

xztatik, for someone as intelligent as you pride yourself to be, why should a highly paid import be tolerated in a team when he is always in so much foul trouble. Its the foul trouble that limits his usefullnes. The problem starts with him, not the team. We have come to the end of the season and yet he still hasn't learnt what he can get away with and what he can't. Fouls are good if used intelligently, but I rarely see good coming from his. I don't have to sit here and justify my arguments, this is the worst season I've seen. The results speak for themselves. The coach has been the same coach, the team has been different.

Reply #117545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure Horvath does get into foul trouble sometimes but what about the other aspects of his game? eg. his high FG%

An import that doesn't get into foul trouble might play 40+ minutes.. Horvath might get into foul trouble sometimes and play 30 minutes? Big deal.. that's still 30 minutes (and plenty of time) to give him the ball so he can take 20+ shots a game.. that was what the orginal post and whole thread was about

EC, you are wrong if u cant see the value of Horvath... I'm not saying Horvath is the best import around (i think Ballinger is better) but for EC to say the things he has said, it is wrong

Reply #117548 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

She

Reply #117550 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

also, i think darren ng is the first player in the NBL this year to top-score for his team 3 games in a row and then play 21 and 17 minutes the next 2 games. Smyth is dumber than EC!
(1) No personal attacks please.
(2) Crap argument. Ng isn't a big-time scorer in this league. He is talented enough to put points on the board here and there, but isn't big enough to demand 40 MPG every night.

Reply #117552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Smyth is dumber than EC!"

lol

Reply #117561 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

yer sorry EC, but even debating wether Horvath is 'worth keeping' is ridiculous.
And isaac i never said anything about 40mins but even in the current limited minutes he's scoring about a point every 2 minutes or so (e.g. 17mins, 8pts vs. slingers) at least give the guy an extra 10 or so.

Reply #117726 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

xztatik, surely you are not still defending Horvath. As an import he brings no where near enough to the team. He is inconsistent, a heavy fouler and easily distracted by frustration. He proved it again tonight against the Tigers. He didn't even speak very positively after the game tonight about the future of the Sixers. From what I have seen he has brought very little passion to the team. Atleast Maher acknowledged that although they are out of the playoffs and have little left to play for this season, he felt that they should play their last 2 games well for the fans. Horvath would have walked away immediately.

Reply #117811 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

its not frickin hard to keep defending a guy whos putting up 19,9&2 how the hell is that 'not bringing anywhere near enough to the team'??? find a new import big man who can do better and i'll happily wave goodbye to the monsta, but since theres no chance in hell of that happening, im gonna keep defending Nick Horvath until u admit your wrong and shut the hell up!!!

Reply #117825 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

xztatik, hope you have lots of patience. Also what is there no chance in hell of happening, finding a better import? Is there no other import in this league that you would have swapped for Horvath? Has the world developed no other better players? Its come to the end of the season, Horvath has been one of the main new players of the worst team the Sixers have assembled, there is nothing right now that is going to make me admit I was wrong.

Reply #117831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, you wouldnt even consider keeping Horvath?

he's averaging 19 pts, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.2 blocks and shooting at 51%

i'm not saying he's the best available import around.. but for someone who averages those stats, he's worth at least considering keeping (especially if we cant find anyone better)

Horvath is better than u give him credit for.. i think ur love for Dusty (who is also good, and i'm not sayin anythin bad bout Dusty) has got ur judgement clouded on Horvath

Reply #117840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree..anyone with a basketball brain would consider keeping Horvath.. at least consider it

Reply #117841 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'm not convinced an import spot should be used for him. If he was Australian and on a lesser salary, then yes he would be better value. His averages being quoted, up to which game do they include? Its not the whole season average and he has had some average performances lately. I doubt the end of the season will see his stats so high. He also does not rebound anywhere near enough. My comments of him reflect the expectations of an import.

Reply #117852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

according to nbl.com.au, those are his correct stats, up to the latest game (against tigers last night).. check it out urself if u dont believe it

there's 2 more games to go.. i dont think his stats will vary that much from now until end of season

Reply #117891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And he will be naturalised within a season or so. And would be cheaper than Rychart - both of those things go in his favour.

Reply #117942 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

EC - In the same way Dusty could do no wrong for you - Horvath could do no wrong for xztatik. I would have thought you as much as anyone would have understood that.

Reply #117947 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My comments about Horvath have always been Horvath specific. Everyone else is making the comparison with Rychart. For an import spot to be filled in this way, I do not think it was well filled. I have not been very impressed with his performance all season based on expectations of an import. I don't deny I prefer Rychart over him but have not mentioned it in my posts. Isaac, Rychart is also seeking citizenship so your comments mean? Also Horvath was a late pick up for Adelaide, no other team secured him first. Rychart was secured by another club immediately after the last season ended if not before (not sure on timing). Now how many Rychart over Horvath preferences were there? Once again, I don't have to justify myself, the justification is already made for me.

Reply #118048 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754