The Journo
Years ago

Bye Bye 2006-2007 36ers

Finally, the 2006-2007 NBL season is done and dusted for the Adelaide 36ers, going down 105-100 to the Slingers in Singapore on Wednesday night.

Come on Mal, give Adelaide a team that can give this a real shake........

I will put my hand up to help you re-build what should be a powerhouse in the NBL.

OUT: Wheeler, Timmons, Farley, Horvath, Ng.

KEEP: Maher, Hill, Mastrovich, Nash (contract), Cooper.

IN: Import guard (Groves do I hear??), Import Forward/Centre (Some on like Abney or Chris Williams), A decent small forward (Could be import with Aussie F/C), young South Aussie guard like Kersten (back from US), and really go hard after Newley (out of contract and probably won't get picked up in NBA draft after last year, but I hope he does)

Topic #10241 | Report this topic

ITA  
Years ago

Ok didn't you just post "Give Horvath the BALL!!" in the previous topic, and you are saying get rid of him?

mate heads or tails, you can't call "side".

Reply #117415 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i agree with most of that, i personally would probably keep Ng over Nash, but that would require buying out Nashes contract.
I was just thinking is Groves too much like Farley??? in style of play?? do we need a different type of import if we are replacing Farley?? like a pure point Guard or small forward or somethng?? but yea i personally wouldnt mind seeing Groves (or Farley) in a 36ers singlet.
We desperatly need a good starting SF Aussie or import if Saville, Mackinnon, Cattalni are off contract throw everything we can at them. Also need to chase Newley and Schenscher with everything we have, get some of the good SA players back and repair some of our errors of the past in letting many of our locals go, and also make sure we retain Maher.
I reckon a starting 5 of
PG Maher, SG Newley, SF top aussie or import, PF top aussie or import, C Schenscher would be ideal!! I guess if we got a Groves, Newley (Maher,Groves, Newley,import,Schenscher) could play SF, very interesting times ahead i think, hope the 36ers regain top 4 status next season!!

Reply #117417 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Ok, SHORT TERM with the team Adelaide had in Singapore tonight, plus the fact Horvath scored 8 out of the first 10 points, anyone with a basketball brain should give him the ball.

LONG TERM I dont think Horvath is a good fit for Adelaide.

Jonno, Schenscher would be a dream, something to work on but not next season, Luke has bigger fish to fry in US/Europe.

Newley IS out of contract and with what I read regarding Stacker and Ninnis wanting the coaching gig, Newley becomes a GREAT fit.

I personally would give COPELAND another season if he wants to go around again. I know he might look to shoot a bit too much but he is the only one I have seen this year that has shown pride in his performence nght in night out.

My team Mal would be:

GROVES (Import PG)
MAHER
NEWLEY
(Aussie or Import Forward/ Centre)
(Aussie or Import Forward/Centre)

KERSTEN
HILL
NASH
MASTROVICH
COOPER

Development Players
DODMAN
SUTTON
SEEBOHM (SA guard at AIS)

Reply #117422 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Newley will go to the NBA.

Reply #117427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the team at the start of the season, it wasn't THAT bad.. at least we expected them to make the finals

KEEP: Maher, Hill, Majstrovich, Cooper, Ng, Sutton, Horvath

OUT: Nash (pay out his contract), Wheeler, Timmons, Copeland, Farley

Get an exceptional import (a big scorer) and another Australian who can score 15-20 ppg

We need 4 players who are capable (or at least come close to) scoring 20+ ppg each game

Give Hill more court time next year and give Horvath the ball more often

Reply #117428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happans if Horvath becomes a NZ citizn?, that mean we could have him and a cheap import like brooks (perth)

Reply #117432 | Report this post

problem child  
Years ago

Why do people want Nash. I can't understand it? Someone please tell me what else he does apart from stand at the top of the arc... receive a pass and then give it straight back to that player?

For crying out loud. We could replace him with a piece of wood.

Reply #117455 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Now the 'injuries' excuse can be officially rolled out!

Reply #117457 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

People this is my idea:

OUT: Wheeler, Timmons, Farley, Horvath, Ng. Smyth

KEEP: Maher, Hill, Mastrovich, Nash (contract), Cooper.

Obtain:
1. Ninnis
2. Mee
3. Glen Saville is out of contract
4. Ballinger
5. Development player

Reply #117463 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Has anyone heard Kersten wants to come home? Or do we just want him to? Cause he's only in his sophomore year at New Mexico, giving him two more years after this one. So I'd doubt he would come home early, would he?

Journo, what does last years draft have to do with this years one? Newley WILL be drafted, I think you could find him on every mock draft going around.

Reply #117465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DrB, you're on track. Everyone knows that I rate Ballinger. You've left off Copeland - I would keep one of Copeland or Majstrovich as a cheap back-up - which one depends on who else they can get. I would negotiate Nash out of his contract even if it costs, and get a college kid in - couldn't provide less than Nash statistically and gives fans exactly what they want.

Kersten is an option I think.

Reply #117467 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

People please, Gortez is not that answer, if he was that great the hawks would be in the top 4 this season as there roster the goss is that there not perfoming due to bad relationships with the player group. In particular one individual

Reply #117471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Majstrovich over Copeland any day.. Majstrovich will stick around for many more years to come.

I don't mind getting rid of Horvath either if we got Ballinger to replace him.

Reply #117477 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

GONE: Timmons, Wheeler, Smyth, Ng, Farley, Cooper

KEEP: Horvath, AJ, Copes, Maher, Hill, Sutton

Lineup next year.

PG: Maher/Sutton
SG: Hill/Copes
SF: Import/AJ
PF: Horvath/Nash
C: Schensher/???

Reply #117480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chewy316, Cooper is a capable backup centre.. he provides a defensive presence with his blocks as well

Also I'd take Ng over Copeland and get rid of Nash as well

Reply #117481 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

OUT: Wheeler*, Timmons, Copeland, Farley, Horvath, Nash (I would pay his contract out)

KEEP: Maher, Hill, Majstrovich,) Cooper, Ng, Sutton

In:
An Aussie guard (I would love to see the Sixer go after Damien Ryan and then move Brett back to the shooting guard spot or try and lure James Harvey to Adelaide and leave Brett at the point.)

Import Small forward (someone who can guard a Sam Mackinnon or a Martin Cattalinni)

Import Power Forward (Nick Horvath is an ok option but would scout the US for a better option as the import spots are always an easy option to fill and expandable)

A bench big man who can help the new Import and David cooper (Dodman isn't ready but has to be kept for a development role), if someone isn't found then Brett Wheeler could be an option.

PG: Australian recruit / Hill
SG: Maher / Ng / Sutton
SF: Import / Majstrovich
PF: Import (Horvath) / Wheeler
C: Cooper / Dodman (development role)

Reply #117487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree..
Your team and suggestions looks good Jimmy

Reply #117488 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

i think Damien Ryan is suspect on the dribble, he can shoot the ball but i do not see him as a point guard. Better off trying to get Mee back to Adelaide.

Reply #117491 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

My 6 ers team next year would be:

Coach: Ninnis

1. Mee (point guard)
2. Maher
3. Glen Saville
4. Ballinger
5. Horvath

6. Cooper
7. Sutton
8. Mastrovich
9. Hill
10.Copeland
11 Development Player
12.Development Player

Reply #117493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twenty four,

I haven't heard it straight from the source, but have heard many a time from people close this his family that Ryan may be looking to come home, so safe to say he is an option.

Reply #117496 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

DrB

By signing D Mee (who is almost 36 years old), doesn't that defeat every single argument about trying to get younger players into the club?

If Ryan is suspect of the dribble like you have intimated then Brett Maher can just stay at the point and Ryan plays the 2 spot.

By signing Mee at 36 year of age you are basically saying age is irrelevant because it is more important to sign players who have talent.

A back court combination of Maher (33) and Ryan (27) would be far more effective than a Maher (33) and Mee (36). Signing Mee would only have the Sixer in the same predicament as they are now.

**** Is Ryan an Adelaide boy?

No - he is a Victorian Junior Association: Dandenong (VIC)

Reply #117498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy,

I thought Kersten was a North Adelaide junior?

Reply #117501 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Sorry, I though you were talking about Damien Ryan.

Ryan Kersten on the other hand is an Adelaide boy but only a sophomore at NM. So why would he want to leave only after 2 years?

Reply #117502 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Correct Ryan is a dandy boy, born in melbourne, spend a lot of time at Parramatta wildcates in NSW with his dad running the program, then they moved back to Victoria.

I think his sister is Catlin Ryan from the WNBL ?

Reply #117503 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Would Ryan Kersten want to come home to Adelaide or would he be looking at settling in the states. A little bit of interesting information was on the bottom of his New Mexico player bio page stated that he got engaged to Kylette Jaramillo over the summer.

Is she an Adelaide (or Australian) girls, if she is not the likelihood of him moving back to Australia has just come very slim. She may not want to move and the female in most relationships always wins

http://golobos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kersten_ryan00.html

Reply #117504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why keep Majstrovich? It can't be too hard to find a SF who can shoot better than 35% from the field and grab more than 5 rebounds a game in about 25 minutes of playing time.

Keep Maher, Sutton, Ng, Hill, Cooper & Nash just because you have to but he better be sittin' on the end of ye olde bench.

Lose the rest.

Reply #117506 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Jimmy i think Mee would be great as he is an amazing point guard, this would allow sutton to learn and develope.

Fair enough he is old, however his skills and knowledge of the point would be indeed assisting the future development of players. He is not passed his use by date as of yet.

Reply #117507 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea. along with the obvious prime targets of Newley and Schenscher i would love for us to target and hopefully get guys like Saville, Mee, Damien Ryan, Derek Moore, Bradtke???, Boodnikoff, Dave Thomas and Tucker, Mottram, Melmeth, Knight, Abney, Rush, Harvey, Groves, Ballinger, obviously there is no way we can get them all, but i think we need another starting guard along side Maher, i dont mind if its a PG or SG, and atleast a starting SF, and a PF aswell if we dont retain Horvath and i think we need a starting C as Cooper is better as a back up, but id rather have Cooper starting C than Nash or Majstrovich starting in the Forward spot so i think the Guard and Forward spots should be the priority and what ever cap space we have left we give to another big. I think we should also go after one of the many college kids, especially if they are from SA like Kirsten but Matt Knight, Stefan Blascynski are another 2 guys i think would be worth a look, along wiht many guys listed on aussiehoopsamerica.com, so yea i think the 36ers need 4 new starters if we dont retain our imports and my priorities would be Newley, Saville, Abney or Dave Thomas (both would be even better) and Schenscher to join Maher in the starting 5, but i would be happy if we got any of the players i listed above.

Reply #117525 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I was just watching some of the 98 Grand final series and was thinking if there is a way of building a team in that mould, if Phils going to be the coach id say that would be the best bet. All going wel recruiting wise i think a team like this would compare ok
98 team 07-08 team
C Rees C Schenscher or Moore woud be ideal, id settle for Cooper in that role if they have to

PF Brooks PF Import (NBL guys id chase for this spot would be Dave Thomas, Jayson Wells, Ballinger,Abney, or get another ex NBA guy like KB

SF Cattalini SF Newley or Saville (if Cat or Mackinnin was available go after them, Boodnikoff could be a option if we cant get any of those guys)

SG Maher SG Maher

PG Mee PG wouldnt mind getting Mee himself back, but this spot can be used on a import i wouldnt mind guys like Kavossy Franklin, Wayne Turner or Cortez Groves getting a look at this spot, if we get Mee we could use the 2nd import spot on the C position and maybe retain Horvath, also if we did get Newley we could go a Newley-Maher backcourt and have 2 import forwards

Bench
6 Rillie (back up combo guard) - Hill

7 Davis (back up big guy) - Cooper (aslong as we get a decent starting C if not go for the best Centre available for the money left to fill this spot or go for a college guy)

8 Sapwell(back up combo fwd) - Majstrovich

9 Brogan (young fwd) - maybe Dodman or a ABA fwd like Hambour or someone but wouldnt mind us giving a college guy this spot like a Matt Knight or Stefan Blascynski or Josh Wood or one of the many others over there)

10 Ninnis - Darren Ng

11 Bauer - Matt Sutton

12 Williams - Another young guy like a Ryan Kirsten if he wants to come back from college or another young ABA/College guard)

I think that gives us a good 8 deep team somewhat in the mould of the 98 team with the last 4 spots used on younger players who can fight it out for the 9 and 10 spots on the main roster.

What do people thing???

Reply #117535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what to thing..

Reply #117536 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

lol oops meant think, i cant type!!

Reply #117539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerstan is a North Adelaide junior and will be playing ABL for North this season, he is coming home in pursuit of an NBL career.

Reply #117541 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

if kerstan came back would he be worthy of a higher spot on the team than a development player

Reply #117554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

journo mention seebohm before as a development player... that would be a massive boost for future playing if they could sign shannon,he is an absolute star and i could imagine him possilby having a joe ingles impact in his first esason.

Reply #117555 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I have never seen either play but would Kirsten and Seehbohn be worth a spot in the 10 next season??? if so i say sign them up instead of either Ng, Majstro or Sutton as yes im sure the SA public dont want to see any other great local talent getting away. Is there any news on wether Hill is intending on sticking around??

Reply #117562 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

You cant expect an AIS player that has had a decent year, and I'm sure one or two more probably better than last, to come back to an NBL team's development position.
They would go College/Europe or even stay at the AIS until they got a real position (ie Joe Ingles, was offered development spot here, and where did he end up... in a playoff expansion team)

Reply #117564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

based on phils history no aussie kid who attended college will get alook in

Reply #117570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

based on phils history no aussie kid who attended college will get alook in

Reply #117580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also based on Phil's history, a kid who is plays college ball is not old enough for the Sixers

Reply #117586 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Would still like to see the Sixers make a run at Matthew Knight (Loyola Marymount) He is from Tassie, so no home team to come back to.
I think he is a Senior this year, is 6' 8", so should be able to fill both Forward Roles.
I haven't seen his name mentioned as a potential NBA player. I know he's been mentioned on this forum before (can't be bothered looking it up), but a Big young guy like this would surely fill our gaping hole without having to get an import

Reply #117623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep: AJ, Sutton, NG, Copeland, Cooper Hill. I think Brad Hill should have another year and show us wat hes really made of unlike this year been out on injury. OUT: Phill Smyth.

Reply #117753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id go out with AJ or Matt Sutton anyday.For the following Reasons: They can play Basketball and there hot.hahaha

Reply #117754 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754