Mal needs Balls
Years ago

Time for Mal to show if he is strong or weak

It's time for Mal Hemmerling to show if he has enough nuts to run this team or if he will be the weak sort of management which has dropped our club from a power house to a mere joke in the league.

In my opinion and from reading on this forum and speaking to a lot of basketball brains, a lot of other people agree, if Mal doesn't make changes now the club is doomed in the near future.

The club is in such a rut we need a complete over haul of the team, this needs to start with the coaching staff. He has to be strong enough to get rid of them, not at the end of the year but now. Phil and Steve have seemed to be disinterested all year long with poor decision-making and poor game coaching which alone can be said cost us at least 4 games (4 games which would see us in the playoffs.) It has gotten to the point where people in the league no longer see Adelaide as an attractive place because of these two people. No youngster will come to Adelaide because they know they wont get any better, that development isn't part of the plan here and the promotion of old has-beens solidifies this.

The next part is the playing group, and the only one's I would look to keep is Maher, Cooper and Hill. Some may argue Horvath but lets be real he has looked good in a mediocre team and isn't the sort of import that will help bring a championship (every team he has been with in Australia has had losing seasons). We could go to the USA and find some new exciting imports that compliment what you can recruit in Australia, much the way with what happened with KB.
It is rumoured that Ryan Kerstan will be available soon, so he is another priority cos I have seen this kid play and he would sure up our point guard spot for many years to come, especially once Maher is retired. Make REAL offers to Newley and a Neilson to sure up your OZ talent and fill in the pieces behind that. Mee should be one of those pieces! If there were a coaching change, recruitment would be much easier, especially if 1 of the 2 names being bandied around gets the job, both have proven they can recruit talent.

I see it this way, if Mal doesn't sack the coaching staff now and keeps it the way it is he will be putting the team up for sale again in a couple of years because he wont be able to get young Adelaide talent and Adelaidian's want to watch our own, therefore crowds will drop and I cant see with Phil still being there us being able to recruit a team that will push for a championship.

The other thing I see is if he doesn't get rid of them right now and sacks them at the end of the season, its going to be too late, because its evident players agents are already talking to clubs so we will miss out the chance to snare/grab/poach talent that is around. If the change was made right now, Adelaide would again become an attractive place to play and maybe we would be able to have a good squad next year and make Mal some money.

Mal has been quoted in saying "it's a business now" well right now he needs to show its just that and have the balls to make the decision for the future, otherwise its going to be a few sad years at the bottom of the ladder.

Come on Mal show us what your worth, make the call

Topic #10242 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Yawn*

Reply #117433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MNB - let's say that Horvath naturalises within the next season or the one after - knowing that, would you keep him?

Reply #117435 | Report this post

Mal needs Balls  
Years ago

possibly but still after pursuing a new import pair first, as a last option....yes. we need an import though that can defend the paint as well, thats my biggest gripe with him

Reply #117436 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The problem is, if Mal sacks Phil now it's going to cost him.

Hopefully Phil does the right thing and jumps to a media position.

Also agree re: Ryan K.

Reply #117438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^a lot of words but not much said.....

so i summary you think he should sack the coaches. that would not achieve anything at this late stage in the season. i am sure there are some changes being looked at for next season with respect to the players.

good to see everyone thinks they could do a better job.....

Reply #117439 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

(#117439)

truth is blind freddie and many others could have done a better job this year

Reply #117442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

117439, the point was that a change now would be timely given that agents are talking to clubs and players now. When Adelaide were gearing up last season to sign players, the options were few.

Mal won't change coaches now, but they should be getting out there hunting players.

The "people think they could do better" line as a response to criticism is poor. Always trotted out in the absence of a real argument. This is a forum - discuss the point.

Reply #117443 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think these points have been discussed ad nauseum this season.

Wollongong changed coaches mid season - hasnt really changed anything there.

New Zealand did the same with Arsego a couple of seasons ago - no real change occurred.

You can use South Dragons as an example of where a coaching change did change results, but lets face it, the talent they had on court, they were never going to remain winless.

Cant we have some original threads, with some original thoughts instead of re-hashing the same crap after every loss????

Reply #117446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you know they arent hunting players?????? they are.......

Reply #117447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said yogee.

Reply #117448 | Report this post

problem child  
Years ago

The problem I've had all season with the coaching staff is their lack of game coaching. Their reaction to what is happening out on the court is dismal. They have their set changes and perform these whether the team is on a roll or not.

They don't play the young guys. (even if it's during junk time) If the young ones aren't good enough to play... they shouldn't be there.

Reply #117450 | Report this post

Mal needs Balls  
Years ago

I just honestly believe if a change isnt made, Mal will end up having to sell the team with in the next 3 years because things will not be able to improve in the current environment and this is a concern to me as a fan. i wanted the take over to sure up the clubs future and while it has to this point, if a business man continues to lose money they get out, and i see this continuing to happen if he doesnt act quick and make the change. A lot of people already talking about not re newing season tickets if phil is the coach and after this season it is hard to stay motivated when the owner comes out and supports mediocrity.

Reply #117452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, team performances haven't really changed, that's why the criticism hasn't. Sure, it's same ol', same ol', but what fresh ideas do you have in mind?

The original point wasn't that the club was going to suddenly finish the season 3-0, just that it could provide a fresh base from which to recruit (not offering a comment on that itself, just clarifying the point).

And I'm well aware that they're hunting players and talking to coaches.

Reply #117454 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great post Mal needs Balls, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I don't know how many games you think is left Yogee but his point was to get a coach ASAP so he can get started planning for next season! So therefore it was an original thread. but please if you have something original to add we would love to hear it?

Reply #117458 | Report this post

DAVOICE  
Years ago

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who make comments about the team and what should be done. Everyone knows that the sixers have had a really crappy year which will probably end up the worst in the history of the club. This happens in all sports and teams bounce back. Sure everyone has an opinion, BUT NONE OF US (and I don't care what some anon says about knowing someone close to the team) really know what will happen next year, until next year. Mal Hemmerling has been involved in basketball for longer than some people have been basketball supporters and is passionate about the sport. He has also been involved in successful business ventures, including the F1 Grand Prix, and is a very astute businessman. If you think that writing Mal needs to do this and that (as if Mal even reads what you write) will be part of his decision making process then you need professional help. Mal will make decisions based on reality and not some knee jerk reaction to what the fans?? think is the problem. Hopefully those decisions will be correct and put the 36ers back at the top of the league - where we all want them to be. Constantly heaping crap on the coaches and players achieves nothing. Give it a rest and let's wait and see what happens.

Reply #117460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal's too PC. All talk, no action. The fans don't crave improvements to the stadium. The fans want a young and exciting team to watch featuring the best SA talent eg. Newley, Ingles, Kersten, Holmes, Forman and Rogers etc

The fans don't want to celebrate Lenard Copeland's 500th game followed by a 30 point blowout lead by a former Sixers import.

The logic isn't hard to work out.

Come on Mal, show some balls!

Reply #117461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err Davoice. Interesting rational post. Lets through another few slants on it.

Did Adelaide loose the Grand Prix? Why isn't Mal still working as CEO of the council?

A key consideration someone in Mal's position would have, as I see it, this season is culmination of a sliding performances and slipping performance over a sustained number of years with different groups of players. Forgetting about costs of contracts for coaches for one minute. Ask yourself; after this season, can you see Phil bringing a premiership to Adelaide within 3 yrs? If not, why would you retain him? The 6ers have hit rock bottom and realistically the only way is up. This is a perfect time to bring in a new coach with a greater chance to increase the rate the 6ers will climb back to the top.

Reply #117462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure how much criticism is due to Mal here at all - he's inherited these contracts, including those of the coaches, right?

And he is aiming to regain SA talent where possible in the future.

Reply #117464 | Report this post

Mal needs Balls  
Years ago

I agree no criticism deserving yet, i just hope it wont be needed in the future. If he makes the right decision for the future now, he will be seen as a hero, if not complaints and more loss of money will naturally follow

Reply #117466 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

My understanding is that Mal was heavily involved in getting the Grand Prix here, not losing it to the Vics, and he resigned from his position at the Council and by all accounts is sorely missed.

After this season, the best thing he could do is give the team afreash look with Ninnis involved in the coaching and aggressively pursue Newley and other young SA bred players.

DAVOICE, why can't fans on a forum discuss anything and everything about the Sixers? These comments are not letters to the owners, coaches or players - just people voicing opinion, frustration, support - whatever!

Reply #117468 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Davoice, if Mal doesn't listen to the fans, there will not be any to listen to.

Reply #117469 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I find it interesting that Mal's policy of recruiting SA talent is at loggerheads with Phil's statements on this point in the past. Somehow I think that Phil may have a different opinion on this now!

Reply #117470 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As I am not an NBL CEO or owner, nor an NBL coach (or even a div 23 under 4's coach for that mtter) I dont portray to have any suggestions as to what can be done. I leave that to the people with the educationals and business qualifications to make the decisions on how their business is run.

My wholoe point is changing coaches mid or even towards the end of the season has proven in MANY sports not to acheive much at all.

Assuming a new coach comes in next season. I would say if this is whats going to happen, it is already planned. This coach would know they are going to be taking over Adelaide, and as he would have already put forward a proposal to Mal (as has been discussed in other threads), he would already be talking on the down-low to the players he would like to sign. I do not see what sacking a coach (or "resigning" the coach) would acheive, apart from even more negative publicity to the general joe who is not a passionate basketball supporter like most who post on here.

I'm not trying to protect anyone, as IMO now we are definitely out of the playoffs, this season is a failure, and the coaching staff has to accept some of that responsibility. I just dont think bringing in someone for the remmainder of the season would acheive anything meaningful. My two cents....

Reply #117473 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Good post DAVOICE.
*ducking for cover*

Reply #117474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I thought I heard Mal say he will try to RETAIN SA Talent, not REGAIN SA Talent. I believe I heard him say he is not going to "throw his chequebook at local talent playing elsewhere". Is this correct, or did I hear incorrectly?

Reply #117475 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have received the impression from various sources that 'retain' and 'regain' will both apply. Of course, that's subject to funds, team make-up, etc.

Reply #117479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anonymous post (#117448) quote:

"well said yogee"

was posted by yogee himself

Reply #117482 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt it was.

Reply #117483 | Report this post

Fosbury  
Years ago

I think we all realise that right now there are no easy answers or quick fixes.

We have a coach who seems tired and does not appear to be over enthused to rebuild thru youth thus the bringing in of Wheeler, Copeland etc. He went for an stop gap solution and tried and get one last good year out of these guys - who knows if we stayed healthy and got our chemistry right we could have done something with Hill, Ng, Mastro being the youth injection off the bench. We now all know it didn't work.

So now we are back to the drawing board - we could lose Maher and so be it - maybe he can get more money else where on a winning team; good luck to him - he needs to look after his own intrests now - he has done enough for us.

The only way the sixers can turn this around quickly is 2 awesome imports next year and that is always a lottery.

So they need to recruit well, keep the SA youth, see if Phil is keen to rebuild, try to hold on to Maher and our decent youngsters - I'm sure Mal and the sixers realise it is gonna be a few years till we get back. Sure we made some mistakes(Newley, Inglses) but lets face it we have had a good run.

Reply #117484 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

If you are looking for next years import take a look in Tas. NW Thunder have signed Troy DeVries a former University of New Mexico graduate. The Kings tried to sign him but he had already signed with NW. He is one of the best shooters to come to this country and a great team man. Has some impressive college stats.

Reply #117492 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Maybe Mal does need to listen to the fans, Cuban does and has built the best team in the NBA on and off the court by giving the fans what they want.

Reply #117494 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Maybe Mal does listen to fans. Paul Bauer said as Ops Mgr, he gets heaps of emails from fans.
Maybe some of you who have concerns that you are not being 'listened to' could try that approach as well as posting on here. Surely that couldn't hurt.

Reply #117495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say that they're well aware of all of these issues and concerns.

Heard that the other day someone actually rang them to suggest a roster for next year!

Reply #117497 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Was it EC?

Pg - Dusty
Sg - D. Rychart
SF - D-Rych
PF - Rychart
C - Dusty Rychart

Reply #117499 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Surely there's room in the cap for Tight Arse on the bench?

Reply #117508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want Ronaldson off the bench?

Ohhh you said tight arese not big.

Reply #117521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do fans really want to see a team filled with SA talent that might not do so well or a talented team that does really well? There is a big difference.

Reply #117524 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

You are a dead set f**kwit.

I make my point, and argue my point, always with my name to it. Unlike you.

Making slanderous comments like that is NOT a good move!

Isaac would be able to confirm the IP address used does not match any that I have ever posted from.

Reply #117526 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Slander on a forum...well I never!

Reply #117527 | Report this post

Brick Tamlin  
Years ago

Yogee

Ease up on the "S" word. Lets all play nice now.

Reply #117529 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

I hate to say it but people have attacked the guy that saved out club.
Mal has had more accomplishments than alot of us will have, if we combine them. This is the guy that ran the HUGELY successful Sydney Olympics, the council craves him, and it wasnt his fault john olsen lost the grand prix, it was mrs olsen.

This season was screwed form the start, we had to appraoch players and say "Hey come play for us, we cant offer you anything more than a 1yr contract because we dont know if we will exist after that"
So they went out and got the best they could, people that might not have played this season if we werent in such a bad position.
How about instead of looking at what has happened in previous seasons and just give Mal a friggin chance. I Guarentee he would have sat down with Phil and asked him what he plans for next year, hes not going to accept a half assed answer. He probaly even went to other coaches to see what they thought, then compared it with Phil's to see if Phil might still have it.

Noone here knows what goes on, and we dont have previos seasons to compare to. Try to support the club and new owner instead of hassling them constantly.

Reply #117530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just wanted to pick you up on that notion of Mal "saving" the club. If I go to auction and beat some other bidders for a house, have I saved the house?

I'm all for defending Mal from unwarranted criticism, but let's keep it realistic!

Reply #117531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club would of been in better hands if Mal didn't win the "auction" for the team.

Reply #117532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add to the last comment, how can an NBL club be successful when the only one in the front office with basketball knowledge is Paul Bauer

Reply #117533 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

How would the club have been better off? What possible factual basis can you have for that statement?

Reply #117534 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Sorry #117533.
Paul's not the only one in the front office with basketball knowledge. I don't know all of the people who work there, but Mal was umpiring back in the 70's, he was on the NBL board, etc. (or doesn't that count as 'basketball knowledge')

Reply #117538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont want to open the stuff that has ben thrashed to death on previous topics but

#117532....sounds like sour grapes to me...wouldnt happen to be one of the losing bidders would you????

Reply #117544 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

the doctor, all 5 of them would be scoring 31 points and 10 rebounds. A total of 155 points and 50 rebounds per game plus anyone else's score. Now what team could beat that. Isn't it incredible how nonsense is so catchy.

Reply #117549 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

I know Paul Baur has a list of at least 8 US players and their bio's. He has his feelers out and is active in the market.

They range from a lightning quick point guard to a 7'1" 270 lbs monster who played the NBA draft camps before going to Europe.

The pick of the litter is a 6'9" guy runs the floor as well as Farley and shoots equally as good left and right handed (Lamar Odem type player).

Don't worry the front office is working.

Reply #117556 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

WOW awesome, i wouldnt actually mind seeing 2 new imports 2 the league and if they have NBA experience even better!!! ala KB and Darnell. Does anyone know the names of who they are looking at??

Reply #117563 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

shaq and lebron,

Reply #117565 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

lol we wish!!

Reply #117567 | Report this post

hoopla  
Years ago

Gee, there are definitely some sour grapes in this post. Everyone loves to assume that they think it could be run better, but personally, I think Mal and Eddy Groves were head and shoulders above the other bidders. They both have exceptional business backgrounds - which is what BASA lacked previously! It lacks class that other bidders would get on here and make accussations.

Reply #117602 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think this thread has got a little off-topic. "Mal need's balls" didn't start it as an attack on Mal, more so highlighting the opportunity he has given the current state of the Sixers.

Perhaps a return to the Super Sixers would help - here's why:

1. Being sponsored by beer rather than milk would make the players feel more "manly" therefore instilling a greater level of aggression.

2. Post championship celebrations will involve beer being sprayed/drunk rather than milk. I know which one I'd rather. Extra motivation for players to win.

3. Having "Super" written on your chest will provide a sub-concious boost to all player's confidence, and at the same time intimidate opposition players.

4. Red is a fast colour - everyone knows this (see Isaac's Ferrari) Clearly we would be a quicker team up and down the floor than we are now in our slow blue uniforms.

Now that we are back on topic....

Reply #117608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The involvement of beer hasn't helped the Redbacks - too many younger players following Boof's lead!

Reply #117610 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

re the doctors suggestions...more benefits.

1) we will all start drinking more beer, makes forgetting 40 point thrashings easier.

2)given the unlikely requirment of post championship clebrations doesnt matter.

3)Based on this year, i dont think many of our players got infront of any opposition long enough to have them read "super"

4)the red would also help blend the red faces of all concerned at our next embarrasing defeat.

roll on 2007/08
go the 36ers

Reply #117621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what annoys me is when people are scoring consistently and are on a roll. ie HORVATH in the early stages of the game!!! He is subbed out, i cant comprehend this, at least ride his hot hand until he begins to miss, but he takes him out after scoring 10 points in the first quarter.

Reply #117677 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Isnt their a post just below this one on JUST THAT TOPIC, Go there, this was about Mal.
Now its all about the beer!! Helps me get through Winning games aswell, ahh that extra buzz just kicks me into high gear

Reply #117693 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Paul Baeur isnt the only one with basketball knowledge in the office.

As pointed out Mal has a long history with basketball, Bert Bargeus has been successfully running Country for some time now, and Paul Arnott isn't exactly a basketball newb either.

Reply #117699 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Yogee neither Bert Bargeus nor Paul Arnott work for the sixers

front office BSA or country but they are not front office 36ers

Reply #117706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Paul Baur has a list of at least 8 US players and their bio's. He has his feelers out and is active in the market.

They range from a lightning quick point guard to a 7'1" 270 lbs monster who played the NBA draft camps before going to Europe.

The pick of the litter is a 6'9" guy runs the floor as well as Farley and shoots equally as good left and right handed (Lamar Odem type player).

- Geez, i hope Smyth doesn't think that the 36ers qualify for the NBA lottery. Someone better tell him that Oden and Durant aren't options for next season.

Reply #117848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754