Isaac
Years ago

Sports fan psychology

Was reflecting on the old fanatic vs 'fair weather fan' dramas that strike every now and again (OK, every day) and wondered how much research had been done into the thinking of sports fans.

Came across this quote and thought that some might find this interesting. Doesn't look like anything that many of us wouldn't have assumed anyway, but still - see what you think.

The different levels of commitment that a fan might have towards a team dictate the degree to which he or she can distance him or herself from that team when failure occurs.

If a fan is strongly allied, the social identity theory states that it will be hard for them to distance themselves, and therefore, to not threaten their self esteem, the fans must attribute the loss to external cues of the situation but not the team itself.
Any forum readers ever done much study in the area and have more to share?

Topic #10245 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

So..... you're saying Dana is the only real fan?

Reply #117569 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think defining the qualities of a "real" fan would be a strong topic on its own! e.g., unconditional fandom vs measured analysis, etc.

Reply #117572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a book on this. Its related to English soccer. The name escapes me. Apparantly its a fascinating read. It involves the science etc. around sports fans. Personally, unless Im involved in it I cant see why people fuss so much about it.

Reply #117578 | Report this post

Ron Jeremy  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac,
Spent many hours studying the effects of Sport Psychology on individual athletes. The course revolved around being able to differenciate between 'performance' and 'peak performance' and then being able to recognise what was required to attain this 'peak performance' Unfortunately, none of it involved sports fans themselves - interesting nonetheless.

Reply #117579 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Interesting topic. I think a lot of it comes down to personality types.

Reply #117581 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Anon 117578, I don't think this is the book you're thinking of but Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is an interesting read, it's essentially his autobiography focussing on his fanatical support of Arsenal FC, helps you to understand what goes on inside the head of a grown man who would cry (literally) when his team lost a big match.

There was a section I found particularly interesting where he said that he couldn't enjoy a great passage of play or a stunning goal unless it was his team that did it, he could appreciate that it was brilliant but could get no enjoyment from watching it.

The equivalent would be a basketball fan not wanting to see Kobe's 81 point game because they were such a die hard Celtics fan they wouldn't get any enjoyment from it. Most of us would thoroughly enjoy it even if we didn't like Kobe, just because it's incredible to witness, but some people are wired a bit differently.

Reply #117582 | Report this post

Years ago

Billo, thanks mate.

THat is actually the one.

Reply #117589 | Report this post

kat  
Years ago

there has been heaps of research done on sports fan psychology and there are alot of books relating to it

i have a book right next to me called "SPORT FANS the psychology and social impact od spectators" and studied alot about sport fans at uni last year

its really interesting how much sense it all makes when you get into it

Reply #117593 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Firstly I'm guessing that Ron Jeremy knows a fair bit about performance pressure. Now back to the topic.

Fan(atic) will likely behave as Kwest suggests according to personality type and depending upon the personality type theory (astrology, Enneagram etc)one espouses to; the physical response may be different and varied even though the passion level is roughly the same.

This means that regardless of an individuals desire for a team to succeed, some will be quiet, some will be always critical of the team, some will behave as the quote suggests, some will swing between or have elements of all three. We see that constantly on this forum.

Suggest as a life skill, its not only important to recognise that there is variation in the manner that people will react to a given situation but also understand that there will be some variation in an individuals reaction to two events of similar circumstance. This makes the forum and life interesting.

Reply #117596 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Gee thanks Billo #117569.
Does that mean I get a prize?
*LOL*

Reply #117620 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"This means that regardless of an individuals desire for a team to succeed, some will be quiet, some will be always critical of the team, some will behave as the quote suggests, some will swing between or have elements of all three. We see that constantly on this forum."

I'm critical of the team when I can clearly see our deficiences which are extremely apparent this seasons, not always critical. I want to see the team improve and am constantly thinking and talking about ways to do this.

But I'm also an extremely fanatical Sixer fan as well. You'll never catch me leaving a game early, or not going to the last few games of the season if we can't make the finals. Our section of the crowd is often shown on fox (about 8 rows behind the court announcer) as we always stand up for big plays, or Sixer runs etc.

I don't know whether the fanatic and
the 'fair-weather' fan are necessarily mutually exclusive. I think I'm fanatical but also analytical as well.

Reply #117629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only people who can appreciate any sporting contest are those with no allegiances to either combatants. Once 'fandom' raises its head, objectivity dies. I have never met a truly objective follower of any sporting contest, myself included.

Reply #117634 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rat10, I think a fanatic will put aside measured reasoning in their judgements and claims, which you don't. I think you can be a supporter without being a fanatic.

Fanatic
Supporter
Analyst

Perhaps it's a case of picking two of the above. We're all supporters, but some are fanatics and some analysts.

---

Anon - I don't know about true "appreciation" - people get a lot from fanaticism. And I know quite a few people who are strong supporters of this team but are still very reasonable in their judgement. Surely everyone's yelled or booed at a call and then turned to their friend and "Actually, the ref was right, I just wanted to get involved!"

Reply #117635 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Maybe you have a different definition of fanatic to me, but many of my friends would consider me to be a fanatical Sixer (and basketball) fan. I've barely missed a game in almost 9 seasons I've been a season ticket holder, and always make a point of watching away games when shown. I'll boo a call against the Sixers even if it may be the right call because I want to do everything I can to help my team get the win. And without the benefit of replays etc it can be hard to tell what the 'right' call is given how many 50-50 calls exist in basketball.

Perhaps I fall towards more of the analytical spectrum however.

Reply #117638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would class that as being a strong supporter. If pressed after booing the call, you would probably recognise your bias on the call - I'm not sure that a fanatic would.

Reply #117643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ron Jeremy, one would have thought you would have been busy making X-Rated films? not reading up on sports fanatics and Psychology!

Reply #117644 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Yeah Isaac I would recognise my bias no question. Hard not to when you're wearing various Sixer paraphernalia.

Very interesting discussion nevertheless.

Reply #117649 | Report this post

Ron Jeremy  
Years ago

(#117644) - I read the forum during my smoko breaks - but I was actually serious when talking about sports pschology and peak performances.

Reply #117720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754