Defence wins Games
Years ago

Smyth statement in Advertiser

"Honestly, the guys played really well (in Singapore)," Smyth said.

"There were some really positive signs in terms of passion and energy.

"We played the way we want to be playing."

----------------------------------

I guess as a coach Smyth has to find the positive side to everything even if it difficult but with the above statements I wonder if he and I went to see the same match .

Wheeler , Nash, Cooper and Majstrovich all had no real impact on the game. Coopers 7 defensive rebounds were nothing to write back home about as most times he was not challenged.

You have got to wonder about Timmons lack of rebounds and lack of accurate 3 point shooting . Looked so slow and no agression.

Maher worked hard as usual but few gave him much support and frankly he looked like he was not enjoying the match.

Copeland showed he can still shoot very well and be a challenge , Horvath had short moments of greatness but then seem to go to the bench again, Ng took some good initiative and Sutton was ok for the short time he was given.

None of the forwards/centres were providing any kind of leadership and all should go next year .

If only Dusty had been there , then at least some honest hard work would have been done upfront and maybe Smyth could correctly have talked about team passion and energy and not just the good effort by a few .

Having watched the sixers for many years it was sad to see how the team's great positive " can do " attitude and fast entertaining playing style seems to have gone.

Topic #10247 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the same article, he writes that the Sixers still have a mathematical chance of making the finals.

A lot of people would say, "who cares if we make the finals? We'd just lose in the first round anyway"... probably true but myself and I'm sure many other fans would still like to see them in the finals and make it another consecutive finals appearance

Let's pray for a miracle that the Sixers will win all remaining 3 games (you never know!) starting with the Tigers this Saturday.

See you there!

Reply #117584 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With Farley on board it may still be a remote possibility.

Reply #117587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DWG - thanks for the eyewitness account.

Boti, meanwhile, gets thoroughly stuck into the team:

You know they're dead. I know they're dead.
So while I hate to rain on the 36ers' wake, truth is they remain alive in the race for mediocrity.
Bottom line though is the 36ers still lost and for the sixth time in a row.

Adelaide has not lost six consecutive games since a streak of seven losses extended between April and May, 1992.

They also made more unwanted history as the first NBL franchise to travel twice to Singapore and twice to New Zealand and return winless from each encounter. Zip.
There may be life in the old corpse yet.

Reply #117588 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Have to say I agree with Boti once again. I'de prefer they don't get into the finals as this would be just another stat on Phil's resume and not a true reflection of the past years performance both from the team and from the coach.
Still I'de like to see them at least try to be competetive in the last few games and not give the half hearted performances we've been seeing a lot of the year.

Reply #117595 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that if they can win three tough games and make it, they deserve it. But it would make them a bit of a token inclusion in the finals.

Reply #117598 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I think winning the next three games on current performances is wishful thinking, but one can always hope...

Reply #117600 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"I think that if they can win three tough games and make it, they deserve it. But it would make them a bit of a token inclusion in the finals"

Perhaps, but wouldn't it be sweet if we finished 8th and took out say the Kings (perhaps more likely to be Townsville) who finished 5th in a superb long range shooting display or we beat them on a last second shot. I want a little payback for being on the wrong end of the stupid finals knock-out system in the past 2 seasons.

Reply #117624 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

It might be sweet, but I think having 12 teams in the comp and 8 in the finals is pretty stupid anyway

Reply #117633 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

totally agree, the final 8 is a joke for the amount of teams. I really think it should be just final 4. With best of 3 games , then best of 5 grand final.

Its a joke u only have to finish with 12 wins for a season and still qualify for the finals!

Reply #117646 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

DrB have to agree totally

Reply #117668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely final six is the best compromise?

Reply #117670 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Any team that cannot win 51% of regular season games does not deserve to play finals

Reply #117682 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

I just really want to read the posts on here if by some chance they got into the grand finals and were atleast competitive, every person here that has bagged the team would suddenly say how right they were to sign these people up. All of a sudden they'd be sucking up to phil and telling everyone how loyal they were to the club, while everyone else gave up on them.

I dont think I'll see this though.

Reply #117691 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dribbler, don't be so harsh. How many years have the Sixers won more than 51%, won most of their home games, ranked well on the ladder, only to be eliminated in the 1st playoff game. That is also unfair. Let them have a taste of both pies. For the last 3 games of the season, all I want to see is the Sixers that beat Sydney in Sydney, Melbourne in Melbourne and Perth at home. 3 great games won, one each to represent the remaining 3. Its much better to have atleast made the playoffs and lose the next game than not make it at all.

Reply #117695 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

I would like to see, next year when there is 13 teams, a final 13 and the 13th team has a play in game with the Uppercumbuctor West Mixed A grade team. Should be close as they will be playing West Sydney.

Reply #117700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754