Isaac
Years ago

Slingers wins, Powell gone from NZ

Was surprised to see no talk of the Slingers on here after the weekend. They won in Wollongong and then against the Dragons (both road wins) without Marquin Chandler and, in doing so, secured themselves a play-off berth.

Oh, and they went 3-0 for the week, beating Adelaide on Wednesday night, the Hawks on Friday and the Dragons on Saturday. Now, THAT is why I don't like Smyth talking about losing by almost 30 at home and bringing up travel as an excuse.

Meanwhile, in NZ, the Breakers offered Carlos Powell the NBL maximum salary and his agent rejected it.

Coach Andrej Lemanis says their star scorer is all but gone, after informally offering the maximum salary allowable under league's salary cap.

Lemanis says it would be hard to swallow if he turned up at another NBL team. He says Powell's agent was not prepared to sign him at that amount, so if he goes somewhere else he is getting more than what is legally allowable.
Of course, that's not really something that can be proven ("Oh, they offered me the same, but I like the, err, weather here better."). As I said on OzHoops, the Breakers and other teams need to join the cap-busting party at which many other clubs are already dancing.

Topic #10279 | Report this topic

The Slingers results last week showed clearly that motivation and team spirit can carry a team .

Aaron Trahair was outstanding in all of the matches and deserves to be the NBL player of the week.

I think enough has been said about the spin Smyth puts on. Maybe better if he just shared the facts of life and accepted sometimes that the other team was better on the night .

Maybe one of the main differences between the Slingers and the 36ers this year has been the open direct communication style of the Slingers coaches.

Reply #118023 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

Totally agree DWT. With Chandler out injured for 2 and a bit games as well, it made Trahair show that his best bball is yet to come and that three pointers that go in are really useful as well as crowd pleasing..... it will be good to see how it all pans out now the new kids on the block have made the 8.

Reply #118024 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With all clubs knowing he has been offered the legal max, they now know that he won't play for less. Does not mean to say he won't go somewhere else for the same amount. He may give preference to a more successful club so he can combine salary with success or he may have a preference for living in Australia. If money is the only object here, Gerry Harvey may be interested in using his services to promote his furniture and electrical goods.

Reply #118028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of "may"s in there EC. If he stays in the NBL, he will be getting more than the max and joining a growing number of players who do.

Reply #118033 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Kings did the same with Williams and made a public announcement saying that they offered max and wanted the NBL to investigate any team that signed him as he had to be over the allowance.

Sad to see him leave the league as he was a real highlight machine

Reply #118034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is the max salary? and is there anywhere on the net to find out what players are getting paid?

Reply #118037 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

is there anywhere on the net i can find how much you are getting paid ?

Reply #118039 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I don't think he's going to tell you, thomo. He's a member of:

I don't care how much money he wants, or who gets annoyed if we sign him. Offer him the full quid and something extra, and sign the kid. He's the best player in the league, bar none.

Reply #118045 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Forgot to add that the best news of the weekend was that I needed a cheap roughie to round out my fantasy squad, and at the last minute chose A.Trahair over D.Ng. Wahoo! What a weekend!

Reply #118046 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You are not allowed to say that Isaac. I guess you must be the paymaster if you know for sure what players are being paid.

Reply #118051 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

my point is it would be pretty rude to post a persons wage on the public forum,

Reply #118052 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Should the Sixers ignore the salary cap like many other teams allegedly have?

What happens if we were to get busted?

Reply #118063 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC, why can't Isaac say that? Look at Brisbane's roster, the Tigers roster, Cairns etc etc - it's just putting two and two together. Obviously teams and players are bending the rules.

EC, I think it's time you realised that things don't have to be reported by Boti Nagy in the Advertiser for them to be happening. If you look at these situations you can at least make an educated guess as to what some of the top players are being paid. I assume Isaac has done this in saying players are getting more than the max.

Just look at what Wheeler was paid this year, and then see where he fits in on the pecking order in terms of salaries. If Wheeler got over $100K, then guys like Mackinnon, Powell, Groves, CJ, Anstey, Thomas, Cat etc should be on more than double.

Reply #118066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sometimes it's an educated guess, sometimes people just talk and listening to the right people helps.

EC, you might like Southern Joe from OzHoops who refuses to believe that any team is breaking the cap!

Trust me, they are.

Reply #118073 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Isacc i recall starting a topic sometime ago in refence to cheaters in the nbl of the cap and points.

Brisbane and Melbourne definately i would suggest they are. Also melbourne with the points how they got a european player return and not get the maximum point is a joke.

Reply #118109 | Report this post

James Cook  
Years ago

How do the rules applying to the salary cap get around the currency differences for NZ and Singapore?
Do the players get paid in Australian dollars and have it convert to the appropriate currency? Or is it the other way around?

Reply #118112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think contracts are in Australian dollars.

Some imports are paid in US dollars, but I think that may depend on their personal arrangements.

Reply #118113 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I make educated guesses and I keep coming up with a number that is in the vicinity of double the cap for the Brisbane team. I myself am pretty convinced they are well over the cap but wouldn't go making a statement about it on a public forum. What if Brisbane had some pretty creative and convincing accountants that could argue this point with you. They may very well sue you for making false statements. I would only go as far as saying I suspect something, not make a statement about it. Save your energy if you are trying to convince me that some teams are over the cap. I won't argue there.

Reply #118182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think double would be on the money, at least. Doesn't seem very fair when you divide $1.5m by 10 players, huh?

Reply #118185 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No it doesn't especially when it seems we have had to pay our players half that amount and as a result got half the players and a fraction of the results.

Reply #118189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754