master?
Years ago

Dome upgrade - what's happening?

Isaac, i have heard you and Mal both say that the Distinctive Dome will have some major improvements done to it for next season, but you have not said what will be done? I was told the other day that they are only changing the carpets and some new paint,i would not call this a major change.

Topic #10289 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Scoreboards, replays screens, sound system are all only some of the things that are happening from what i have heard.

All sounds very promising to ensure that the dome is the best basketabll venue in the country

Reply #118145 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

thank god! those scoreboards piss me off

Reply #118147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that it's my place to say anything further, but I think it's fair to say that the target is a lot more than carpets and painting.

Reply #118151 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

xztatik, go watch a game at the State Netball and Hockey Centre in Melbourne, and then you'll love our scoreborards in comparison.

Kev.

Reply #118154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Brisbane's are a bit average too. Just player number and fouls maybe?

Damrob might be able to share their opinion here - they would have seen the screens in a few venues?

Reply #118155 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

Touch ups are needed.Maybe they can be more organised for the opening game this time.No tap beer, Half of the fast food joints were not open.scoreboard constantly playing up.If they cant fill the empty seats they shold at least give hand fulls of tickets to the ball clubs.At least i will see were my three hundred plus goes for my ticket when they "upgrade".go sixers 1 last win for the season.

Reply #118156 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

They must be putting a red carpet in for Hughesy and then painting his portrait on the wall...

Reply #118171 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

And as per previous topics, what about upgrading the court announcer?!

Reply #118172 | Report this post

to the left  
Years ago

jumbotron - yeah !

Reply #118173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They must not be doing too much - Woodville's home games are programmed there this season.
I do not know why anyone would believe what Daniel Hughes says!!

Reply #118175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but with replays screens that would mean a camera crew has to be at every single home game and have a set up room so i doubt that is the case. Issac why hasn't the current screenbeen used to advertise products or sponsors?

Reply #118176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It has been, but only occasionally. The screen was basically an affordable option, but has limitations such as limited viewing angle for most people. I originally suggested two screens at that end, both on angles, but still not sure that would help enough.

As for its use, it requires a fair bit of effort to put stuff together. Some pre-made (e.g., from TV) ads have been played in the past, but could have limited appeal unless fans are used to looking at the screen for other things - replays, fan close-ups, other stats, etc.

I know that in my usual seats, I only look at it for Fox replays, maybe twice a game, and even then the angle makes it tough to see any detail.

Ideally, would be used for replays (budget option I suggested was having a baseline camera hooked up to a consumer-type harddrive recorder, and have someone operate that), alternative view (e.g., overhead camera), advanced stats (e.g., full stats for one player, cycle through each; or live team stats), feed from a camera that zooms in on the crowd - people cheering, doing silly things, etc.

But all of those things need operators to do properly. Plus the more things that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Reply #118179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Mark Sloacombe (NBL and FOX stats guru) telling Commisioner Rick Burton at the Brisbane game that there will be new video screens / video scoreboards.

Reply #118183 | Report this post

to the left  
Years ago

Dome upgrade - what's happening?

players or facility ???

Reply #118191 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i wouldn't mind having a camera so we can have "fan cam". so i can check out the hot ladies there for the night, show the visiting team talking smack and the crap calls of the night.

Reply #118193 | Report this post

damrob  
Years ago

None of the other venues we've been to in the last few seasons (Brisbane, Sydney Olympic Park - Razorbacks, Hunter, Melbourne Aquatic Centre  Giants, SNHC Tigers, Vodafone  Dragons, Perth) have anything that is significantly better than what's at the Dome.
The only exception is Singapore which has a pretty good setup, but it's really just 4 big multipurpose screens that can display replays, stats, scores, advertising e.t.c.
The main difference is the scoreboards at the other venues actually work throughout the duration of the game&&. although the Singapore one did shut down for a few minutes during the game when we were there back in round 1. Think that might have been due to human error more than anything else though.
Would probably prefer Adelaide put more resources into improving the team rather than the facility, although I wouldn't be upset if they did something about the dodgy lighting.  I'm sure the fox and ABC guys would agree it needs some work.

Reply #118197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New ABC learning centre for the players grandchildren

Reply #118201 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I heard they are making little 36ers jerseys for the rats.....

(Mod: Oh yes, the rat jokes are back!)

Reply #118219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

went to state netball center and was really dissapointed with their stat screen. Only had name and fouls, they should cut the size of the name down and display point and fouls. As for the stadium, any improvement would be welcomed.

Reply #118221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've always wanted to see fouls, points, rebounds and assists.

Neil should read out key stats in the main breaks - would be an easy and appreciated addition IMO.

Reply #118247 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

"New ABC learning centre for the players grandchildren"

.. Wouldn't put it past 'em to incoporate an ABC Child 'Care' Centre into the site ;-)

ShaneD

Reply #118261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they have a nice feild/oval the kids could use.

Reply #118307 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

The stats screen above the main entrance is a bit of a waste,considering the size of it.It only shows team line ups,points,fouls and advertising during breaks.Surley it would be able to show more stats or is it too old? Im a big fan of the old style red coloured font the scoreboards use ,please keep it!
A replay screen at either end of the stadium would be fine also.

Maybe they are going to build real offices and get rid of those shabby looking ATCO huts at the side and front of the dome.

Reply #118308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Sydney Kings can have their big screen tv showing the game aswell as replays why can't we?

Reply #118341 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

maybe they need more camera angles as well so phil can see brisbane's trap from a diffrent spot.

Reply #118454 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Hopeully they put together a decent lighting setup, going to a game in the states is a show in itself, the players running out under a big spot light while the rest of the stadium is darkened is a simply yet effective way to build up anticipation.
The dome is a very good base building setup to add additional features to. With the ceiling design the way it is it would be relatively easy to setup remote controlled cameras that could be played over big screens set around the stadium.
Placing animated Advertising boards around the coorporate boxes, that also try to get the crowd into the game would also be a great idea, and the advertising offsets the overall cost...I explained that shit but hopefully you understand.

Theres so much potential for the dome I just hope they really do look into it properly and go all out instead of just a patch up job. If they do this properly they might also bring in other events such as small concerts.

Reply #118646 | Report this post

deafened  
Years ago

As long as 2 things are fixed... 1) The sound system needs a major overhaul so that it doesn't distort and deafen everyone, and 2) The announcer on the bench needs to be replaced.

Reply #118718 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

i believe daniel hughes even if others dont,surprises coming for all

Reply #118822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754