thedoctor
Years ago

Former NBA player first to "come out"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2757105

Former NBA journeyman John Amaechi announced that he is gay. Check the interview on ESPN.com

Surprised me that he is the first to officially confirm his sexuality, given that statistically speaking there have probably been many players, past and present, in the NBA who are gay.

Was a little disappointed with LeBron's comments that someone who had not revealed their sexuality to teammates was "untrustworthy". Shows a complete lack of understanding of the difficulties faced by players like Amaechi.

Good on him, I say.

I'm sure there are a few current gay NBA players, I just hope that it's not Shaq, Yao or Scott Pollard. That's just scary!

Topic #10314 | Report this topic

Kwest  
Years ago

Sounds like he wants to sell a book.

Reply #118545 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

I say well done to him too! I notice his worst season was at Utah in the Mormon capital of the world. Really could see a gay gay enjoying that!

Reply #118550 | Report this post

TytsMagee  
Years ago

you know how i know your gay? Coz you once made a spinach dip and a loaf of sour dough bread.

Reply #118552 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah I don't think Lebron will be taking him out clubbing any time soon.

Reply #118556 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

See the article on the same site by LZ Granderson (also gay - a sports writer)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/070207&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

He wonders why no ACTIVE players have come out - and is not impressed that the few high profile stars have chosen to come out AFTER they retired.

Interesting debate.

Reply #118559 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Why should any person (gay or straight) have to come out and say what their preference is?

Personally, I dont care, and dont want to know.

What they do in their personal lives has nothing to do with anyone.

Reply #118563 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yep, Kwest makes the right point it is none of our business what they do in their personal life.

Reply #118566 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Kwest I agree good luck to him - but the point is that in that environment you would have to play your cards so close to your chest (if you wanted to partake in that lifestyle) that it would be an absolute hell... watching every single move he makes lest rumors start swirling...

Reply #118568 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

thedoctor, I have to agree re Lebrons comments. For someone who could be the face of the NBA in the years to come it seems like a very stupid argument to put forward.

He is the great hype, and supposed to be the closest thing to MJ, but I think the last couple of years have exposed him as not being close in many respects on and off the court. Sure he is still very young, I'll grant that, but he's been around for a while now.

Reply #118574 | Report this post

mine  
Years ago

Good on Lebron for telling it as he see's it. If he dosent trust homos, then thats cool, he shouldnt have to go all 'Politically Corect' because its the 'in' thing. Being a homo or not dosent matter, but dont shoot a guy down for not trusting them - and openly stating the fact. I mean, do we HAVE to trust gay people that maybe eyeing Lebron off in the showers? :)

Reply #118578 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Perhaps Amaechi is looking for a gig on Dancing With the Stars

Reply #118581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The post by mine is exactly why professional athletes need to come out while still playing; and also exactly why they don't.

Reply #118582 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I think the whole homophobia rife in male sports in general is why they don't come out. It's unfortunately a product of our patriarchal society.
The sheer arrogance of 'some' heterosexual elite sportsmen thinking that gay men will make passes at them is a joke.
What makes these guys think everyone wants them? Just 'cos there are so many sports hero chasers of the feminine heterosexual variety throwing themselves at these people (only because they're famous) doesn't mean that gay players are gonna do the same thing.
I say to people like LeBron:
"GET OVER YOURSELF!"

Reply #118583 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not that there is anything wrong with it.....

Reply #118585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

mine, IMO that's not what LeBron is saying at all. He's saying that trust is about honesty and he'd rather these things were out in the open and honest. At least, that's my take.

Reply #118587 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I thought it was quite funny how all the players interviewed for the article began their comments with "as long as he doesn't bring his gayness on me" or "as long as he doesn't make a pass at me" or similar. Shows a fair bit if insecurity, and perhaps reflects just how much pressure there is to fit in to the macho, team mould. It's to the point where those players are making damn sure evryone knows they are not gay, even though they think it's OK to be a gay NBA player.

Is gayness even a word?? If it is, that's so gay.

Reply #118588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Issac.

LeBron was saying that if a homosexual player doesn't 'come out' he wouldn't trust them.

But how would he know. Seems a little silly.

Reply #118591 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's also easy for him to say that from his position as one of the majority.

Reply #118592 | Report this post

mine  
Years ago

Isaac, your probably right. My take on it was Lebron wouldnt trust them because if they hadnt come out, he would be worried about walking nude around the changerooms - or in the showers, which as anon above just pointed out, seems silly.... very silly if he dosent know if his teammates are homo or not.

Reply #118595 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Let me clarify a bit - I don't think LeBron is saying he flat out can't trust a gay person - that is just ridiculous.

"With teammates you have to be trustworthy, and if you're gay and you're not admitting that you are, then you are not trustworthy," James said

But, by saying the above, he has no understanding of the pressures that led to a teammate not telling everyone he was gay. Pressures that extend well beyond the NBA and basketball and that are more important than playing a game.

What are they supposed to do? Announce it at training camp? I suppose if the player was asked a direct question, and denied it then trust issues may be relevant. Perhaps LeBron is looking at it the wrong way - maybe there are defficiencies in the team and teammate relationships if the player didn't feel they could be open about it (being gay). I still think LeBron's comments lack maturity and understanding.

Reply #118597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Coming out' is a very very brave step to take. If just to your parents, not to mention the world. Even a recently retired superstar swimmer couldnt do it. It's people like 'mine' who seem to think if you are gay you instatly like every male or female you come across, is it that way for 'straight' people? Do you want to pounce on every member of the opposite sex?

I say good on him for having the balls (pardon the pun) to come out.

Reply #118601 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Of course his comments lack maturity and understanding. Sure he may have experienced a lot in his young life - but he is still only 22.

How many 22 year old guys do we know who are full of maturity and understanding?

Reply #118602 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"..is it that way for 'straight' people? Do you want to pounce on every member of the opposite sex?"

No comment!!

Reply #118603 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there a burden on straight players to reveal their sexuality in the locker room?

Doc, as you said, the pressures are significant - look at Amaechi here - he reveals it post-career and we're talking about it on a forum, it's got an ESPN article, it's selling a book. For some reason, it's a big deal.

Reply #118605 | Report this post

Aliens Exist  
Years ago

How many people wondered about Don Ameche (actor of Cocoon fame) when they read the article ?

Go on be honest ... lol

Isaac is right - look at the fuss it has caused . Imagine what the american forums would be buzzing with right now.

Reply #118607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason its a big deal is because he is gay. He is 'different, dirty, poverted,un-manly, in the eyes of the close minded and arrogant.
He is not harming anybody and the fact that he didnt tell his team mates prob shows the maturity level and ego status of them. If he did he may have got bashed and sent to straight conselling.No matter what people say Homosexuality is not a choice and people need to live with the fact that there are millions of people out there living this life style. and they are some of the best people you will meet.

Reply #118608 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

K-west - not saying LeBron should be any more mature at his age, just making an observation re: his comments.

Isaac's question about whether straight players should be compelled to reveal their sexuality - exactly my point. Should all players at training camp have to stand up and say

"Hi, my name is _______

I play shooting guard, I went to UConn. I like hip hop, pizza and a bit of man-love every now and then."

I think trust amongst teammates does not extend to knowing every detail about someone. What if LeBron found out his teammate liked the Backstreet Boys after discovering a CD inside a Mos Def album cover. Would he say that person is untrustworthy for hiding their musical tastes?

Reply #118609 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

^^^^
" different, dirty, poverted..."

So he is broke and gay??
Must be a book being released, as said earlier..

Reply #118610 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I agree with most of what you're saying #118608, and this may be politically incorrect - but why would it be so bad if it WAS a choice and not something they were born with? I think the whole 'its not their choice' arguement goes against the very thing they are trying to argue for.

Why couldnt they be free to make the choice of sexual preference, and even change that choice as many times as they want?

Reply #118611 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

doctor - no problems.
btw - its kwest as in quest. Im not Kanye sorry.

Reply #118612 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Kwest turn the arguement around. When did you choose to be straight?

Reply #118616 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Youre missing my point completely. Im not saying its a choice. Read what i said again.

Reply #118622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kwest, if that being the case, then one would choose to be Bi-sexual. being gay is not a choice as said earlier, its a whole different life style. Sometimes living in fear of being 'gay bashed'harrassed etc.

Reply #118637 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Once again - missed the point. Im NOT saying it is a choice.

Im against the arguement that says 'Its not their choice' - as if to say, the only reason their homosexuality is acceptable is because they were born that way, otherwise it would be an abomination that they are living such a lifestyle.

Does anyone get where I'm coming from?

Reply #118645 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

well at least dennis rodman has a dance partner now. he would be shattered thinking he was the only one out there

Reply #118648 | Report this post

Bent Kenson  
Years ago

Now they're going to have to update his profile on basketball-reference.com

John Amaechi

Position: C/F
Height: 6' 10"
Sexuality: Gay
Relationship status: Available

Reply #118652 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Kwest I don't think anyone is using the orentation v preference arguement in that way.

The reason for the arguement is because a lot of straight people do believe someone is gay because they have chosen to be gay and could be simply 'cured' by choosing to be straight again.

I do now understand your point but as I assume you are a straight male (and never gone through the process of coming out yourself or seeing someone close to you go through it,)I think you've missed the point of the arguement when the gay community bring up orentation vs preference.

Not having a go at you mate just trying to explain the reason for the arguement.

Reply #118654 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Fair point Clark - and you're right, I am straight and have not had someone close to me go through it.

I still think the 'its not their choice' argument is a bit lame though. If Im gay, Im gay. I dont need to explain that to Bob, Bill or Bruce by saying that I couldnt help it I was born that way.

Reply #118662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kwest, I also see where you are coming from. But as you said, you are straight, and havent had someone close to you come out. Saying the argument is a bit lame, is your opinion. You would have no idea what its like being gay. Do you think that if it was a choice, people would choose to live a life, without the freedom the straight people have. Not being able to show your affection in public, most of the time hiding your true self, living with guilt etc, feeling alone. Do you think anyone would want to live like that if it was a choice. Esp. with the mentality of egotistical people. Think people need to worry more about the environment and less about someones sexuality. IMO. Who cares, as long as you're not hurting anyone.

Reply #118675 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"Think people need to worry more about the environment and less about someones sexuality. IMO. Who cares, as long as you're not hurting anyone."

Totally agree.

Reply #118682 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

anon, you have missed what Kwest is saying completely. Kwest is saying whether or not it is a choice or not is irrelevant. People should not have to justify their preference regardless. Kwest is saying it is disappointing and wrong that anyone should have to justify their preference by saying "being gay is not a choice".

Reply #118688 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Bingo..

Reply #118690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aahh okay! I totally agree with that!, thank you.

Reply #118698 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Couldn't his teammates have just picked up that he was not gay when he wasn't bringing 10,000 women back to his hotel room over his career??

Reply #118701 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Great to see an intellectual debate raging here on the forum,

The following quote is (IMO) why many people have chosen not to "come out" and why we have a world that condones the unfair and unjust treatment of a segment of our society.

"Good on Lebron for telling it as he see's it. If he dosent trust homos, then thats cool, he shouldnt have to go all 'Politically Corect' because its the 'in' thing. Being a homo or not dosent matter, but dont shoot a guy down for not trusting them - and openly stating the fact. I mean, do we HAVE to trust gay people that maybe eyeing Lebron off in the showers? :) "

yes!! we should shoot a guy down for not trusting someone because they are gay..is it ok for him to not trust people coz they are white/black/short/fat/bald/redhead/ have size 12 shoes...anything?

All people are, and should be treated as equals...distrusting someone based on their colour, sexuality, disability..OR ANYTHING is wrong!

dont worry about whether it is PC, just be a decent human being and treat everyone fairly.

Reply #118722 | Report this post

Ron Jeremy  
Years ago

Amaechi is NOT gay, but I hear his boyfriend is.

Reply #118765 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

damm an import that would of enjoyed having boy goorj. showering with them.

Reply #118767 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

If you consider or believe the facts that around 8-10% of the worlds population are gay and this is discounting bi curious , same sex flings etc then there are a lot of macho ass clowns running the hardwood all over the world and you know what who gives a rats fat .
As for lebron i am the one no man can touch me or look at my bum i see him givin more rear taps than most .
Maybe this is why he is scared to win a ring .
To me who posted above , you are spot on and if more people carried the consideration and compassion that you show then we would not have to discuss this topic , end of story .

Reply #118823 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754