Dennis Traeger
Years ago

Whats with the nets at Wayville?

Our under 12 team would have lost at least 5 minutes playing time on Saturday whist height challenged referees tried to retrieve the ball from the nets on every score.

Also penalises the team that likes to move the ball in quickly after a score.

Topic #10380 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this serious - lost at least 5 minutes playing time? We are talking under 12's aren't we?

Reply #119215 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if it is Under 12's sounds like they need new nets - seeing as they are hosting finals over the next two weeks for older age groups as well as younger - would be great if they could be replaced

Reply #119217 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

I played at forrestville last night on court 2 and the nets were a real pain in the arse. They continually stop the ball dropping through and stopped many opportunities for fast breaks. We had to continually jump up and tap the ball out. Aparently in speaking with a ref and the manager a couple of weeks ago they were fine until the really hot and humid weather, they all think that they shrunk in the humidity. They have been like that for a couple of weeks at least.

Reply #119219 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Can some tell me the scientific reason as to why a net would shrink in the heat???

Reply #119232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The fibres could broaden in the heat and close the gaps, but it might be that humidity had dried and stiffened?

Reply #119234 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

same as the courts at the dome. time to bring back the chain link nets

Reply #119236 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll have to pay that Isaac cause I have no idea... Like your idea booga, nothing like ripping a finger off on a chain net.

Reply #119239 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

TR who are you kidding? you can't get up that high!

Reply #119245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it has been doing it for a while obviously, during the baptist carnival it was doing it, i thought it was just new nets

Reply #119249 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I used to love the old nets at St Bernards - nothing like thick rope nets - instead of a swish one would "thug" a jumper

Reply #119250 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Try grabbing the ball out of the net and then laying it up whilst still in the air :P Probably not a game time trick but more of a silly trick while mucking around having a few shots. If you get your finger stuck in the net or something don't blame me.

Reply #119267 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nutwork, talking about the net not the ring..

KingJames, the question I ask you is where else could someone get their finger stuck bar in the net whilst trying to tap the ball out???

Reply #119268 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

.... Is this a trick question?

Reply #119273 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

TR, so was I!

Reply #119276 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

www.phys.unsw.edu.au/COURSES/FIRST_YEAR/pdf%20files/iv.%20Thermal%20Expansion.pdf

Explains heat expansion - net and to a lesser degree, the ball.

Reply #119279 | Report this post

bill russell  
Years ago

their hand get caught in the net most of the time

Reply #119329 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

It could be because it is a new net...

Reply #119349 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

And yes it is a pain in the arse.

Reply #119350 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I wonder if they put in some air conditioning at Wayville if the nets wouldn't do this? Could alleviate a few problems eg kids playing in 40 degrees this weekend with nets that choke the balls

Reply #119358 | Report this post

the nets at the dome are just as thick. have nets like court 3 at port. the swish nets.

Reply #119386 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Could someone please phone Port Adelaide and find out where they got their swish nets from and install them a Wayville and the Dome

Thanks

Reply #119392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To snag new players!

Reply #119405 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nice... really nice Nutwork... One swift kick to the nuts next time.

Reply #119446 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

too easy ; )

Reply #119514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nets always stick at wayville in ABA because the eagles players pull on them during warmups to aid their defence transition

Reply #119620 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

This net thingy at Wayville was happening last season as well. During one of the last ABA games there, the net on court 1 next to the bar was finally cut with scissors at 3qtr time to let the ball fall through without getting stuck on every play!

Get out the scissors again I say

Reply #119838 | Report this post

Moi!  
Years ago

Or the AXE!

Reply #119856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754