The comedian
Years ago

The most over used gag on hoops

Why is it when someone compliments a player, does hilarious funny man write, (lets pretend it's about Nash)
"Is that you Nash's Mum" or "thanks for that Mark". Come on that gag has got long, long whiskers on it. Find something new to say. Lets try something totally "new" we just post some non-fictional information on this forum and resist the temptation to regurgitate some spoon-fed, heard-it-all-before humour.

Topic #10383 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that you Seinfeld?

(I, personally, think it's a classic, efficient one liner. The tedious jokes are about the age of the 36ers, unless they're very clever. PS. Rat jokes will never get tedious.)

Reply #119231 | Report this post

Uncle Leo  
Years ago

Either will Ferrari gags Isaac:)

Reply #119241 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Is that you Oscar?

Reply #119242 | Report this post

Brian Fantanna  
Years ago

Is that you fun-police

Reply #119243 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think the most overused joke in basketball is when someone shoots an airball and one of offense team grab it and put it in and everyone says "nice pass".

Reply #119246 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The funniest "is that you" ever belongs in this thread:

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/2873/

Second post, had me in stitches.

Reply #119253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Reply #119254 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Libertine - I have to own up to that anonymous one. Sorry Wilkey!

Reply #119258 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I like the direction SVD has sent this thread - other things I find funny in basketball (although not necessarily overused):

- players tripping over lines, particularly in the backcourt, and having to do the 'run of shame' downfloor with everyone looking at them.

- players saving loose balls on their defensive baseline, only to fling it into the hands of an opponent who lays it in: if it's a junior game, you can bet the coach immediately turns to the bench and says "you should NEVER do that! Don't you guys ever listen?" etc. Hilarious.

- When balls get stuck on the rim, and then dislodged, someone - be it spectator or player - inevitably mock claps or cheers if the ball goes through the basket.

- Players miming moves to umpires who've just whistled them for an infraction like a travel. For some reason I find this funny: "See, umpire? I caught the ball in the air, this was my pivot foot - no way is it a travel!" etc

What else is funny in basketball?

Reply #119261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty Ryan reffing was always pretty funny

Reply #119264 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

You Bo, you are one of the funniest!

Reply #119265 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

I was in the Fruit and Veg shop the other day and they had a 36ers Lettuce I ask the guy what is a 36ers lettuce and he said "its got no heart"

I was in court and the defence lawyer is using the Phil Smyth defence, that where you blame it on everyone and everything but yourself.

Reply #119269 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Bo, not sure how funny these are but I'll give it my best shot:

- players fouling out and taking their shirt out of their shorts in "disgust".

- players defending under the basket with their hands up and getting called for a foul. Everyone knows that they hacked someone, or brought their arms down on the player, but they just stand there in bewilderment with their hands straight up, like, "who me??".

- getting blocked by the ring.

- players who trash talk with the word "baby" thrown in

Reply #119281 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

refs giving each other high fives after they THINK they made a great call.

Reply #119287 | Report this post

torn acl  
Years ago

Medical Distinctions

We've all heard about people having guts or balls. But do you really know the difference between them? In an effort to keep you informed, the definition for each is listed below...

GUTS - is arriving home late after a night out with the guys, being met by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to ask: "Are you still cleaning, or are you flying somewhere?"

BALLS - is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling Of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: "You're next."

I hope this clears up any confusion on the definitions. Medically speaking, there is no difference in the outcome, since both ultimately result in death.

Reply #119294 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

that is pure gold torn acl
some one give that post a ball or two

Reply #119302 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Good call on the shorts and the "baby", Lockstock.

Here's another funny situation that occurs at least once a game: Teammate X drives, attempts to pass to Teammate Y in better position, but either a) throws ball out of court or b) pass is deflected out of court.

Now invariably what happens is that Teammate Y will point and/or nod in the direction of Teammate X, and on the odd occasion Teammate X will do the same back. This only lasts a split second, but encapsulates the following non-verbal conversation:

Teammate Y: Man, that was so going to be a great pass.
Teammate X: Man, you were so open.
Teammate Y: If it weren't for the fickle hand of basketball fate...
Teammate X: You'd done such a great job of cutting to the basket.
Teammate Y: You'd done such a great job of blowing past your defender and drawing mine.
Teammate X: You're such a great player.
Teammate Y: And YOU'RE such a great player too.
Teammate X: I love you.
Teammate Y: No, I love YOU.
*they embrace*

Now none of this is actually said, but it's all contained in the point or nod which is designed to take attention away from the more pressing matter that their team should have, in fact, scored.

Reply #119304 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

This thread is developing nicely...

I think the title of this thread has been misconstrued - but i`ll take this... as an improvement...

Reply #119308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Patto you are so wise, your like a miniture budda all coverred in hair."

Ron Burgandy, Anchorman

Seriously though you are correct, I think it is funny and annoying at the same time

Reply #119311 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

LOL Bo, way to let your imagination do the talking. A similar situation occurs when the great pass is actually made to Teammate Y, who wasn't expecting to be found by Teammate X because of his lack of faith in teammate X's passing ability, and he then does the "point and nod":

Teammate Y: Man, great pass.
Teammate X: Bet you weren't expecting it, but I knew you were there.
Teammate Y: You are such a better passer than I thought.
Teammate X: Oh, and great finish, thanks for the stat.
Teammate Y: We just work so well together.
Teammate X: Like peas and carrots.
Teammate Y: Of X, lets be together.
Teammate X: Forever?
Teammate Y: Yes, oh YES!
*they embrace*

And all is forgotten during the game in a competitive form of amnesia.

Have I taken it too far?

Reply #119315 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Now i REALLY want to know who Bo is !!

Thanks for the laugh.

Anything with Wilkey in it is always good value.

Also i liked...

The Reesy references to :

a) being a tight wad

b) being SLOW

c) fan club

Reply #119326 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminds me, surely everyone remembers the Pump Room at the Dome (door since rebadged unfortunately) and the posters from Keeper of the Pump Room on past forums (Sixers forum and Sixers Lounge)?

Reply #119331 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm gonna take credit for it JohnnySacks - I am Phil Jackson to Bo's Kobe

Reply #119335 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The thing that i find funny is that most threads where people are serious and try not to have jokes posted usually get them and alot of them aswell.

And the john lawrence ones were good too.

You aren't a real champion until you win the championship for court announcing.

It's an interesting sport too.

Reply #119342 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

so old its got whiskers on it...like the rats at the dome?? :)

Reply #119406 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Funniest "is that you" moment was from Isaac (again). Talking about guy worked at a petrol station who sold a bottle of water to Brett Maher claiming he could take credit for a championship and Isaac wrote

"Is that you Jason Williams?"

Hilarious.

Reply #119609 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Who is Wilkey?

Reply #119675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Justin Wilkey. A fiery guard (maybe GF in the ABL), not sure if you'd call him 'streaky'? Can put up some quality games, sometimes gets into foul trouble. Had moved clubs a couple of times at that point, thus the little joke. Was with Sturt at one point and then Centrals more recently.

At one point, he was in the 36ers squad.

In 2006, he averaged 9.9 PPG and 4.6 RPG, may have had injury problems - can't remember.

In 2005, he averaged 18.2 PPG, 3.9 RPG and 2.9 APG.

Reply #119680 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"re: The most over used gag on hoops (#119264)
Matty Ryan reffing was always pretty funny"

I would like to know how I am funny.
Comments? Style? Flair? Selling calls? Or just me in general?

Gags on Hoops:
* Me and blonde North girls.
* Isaac and Ferraris
* Isaac and Oscar jokes
* "Is that you?"
* Double Clutch and Mike "Cheapshot" McKay

Reply #119809 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

"Finally, I would like to thank the man, the myth, the legend. The man of the hour, the man with the power, the man too sweet to be sour. Every man's regret, every lady's pet, the man with the voice, the people's choice! The Master of MATT-isfaction&. ME!"

The end of Matt Ryan's farewell speech.
No not most used gags, but full of sh*t to be frank. Slight dry reaching...

Ps- Good to hear from you Matty.
Hows things up Peterborough way?

Reply #119865 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Things are great up in PBuzz!

Who are you Neptuneboy?

Reply #120017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 'Nice Stat Padding' gag for a doulbe posting

Reply #120025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 'Nice Stat Padding' gag for a doulbe posting

Reply #120026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* double

Reply #806347 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's with all these old threads randomly getting bumped?

Reply #806351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754