Anonymous
Years ago

Where are they now? McKinnon and Blakemore

Does anyone know the whereabouts or what's happened post-NBL with these 2 ex-36er cult figures of the mid-90s?

Regards,
Ron Moore.

Topic #10384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't exactly call Brad McKinnon a cult figure? Probably find him watching Dazed and Confused somewhere.

Reply #119227 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Playing for West this season along side there hero "Mark Nash"

Reply #119229 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Chirs Blakemore was just 19 when he joined the Sixers, he was a young kid with plenty of bulk and immense potential. Blakemore was named the Rookie of the year in 1993 and in 1994 was named the NBL's most improved player. His agility for his size was rare, his upperbody strength almost unseen in the NBL. Blakemore played three season's with the Sixers (1993 to 1995), before being cut when coach Mike Dunlap underwent a major overhaul of the team.

Blakemore showed plenty of potential and went on to sign a deal with the Canberra Cannons for season 1996, however it wasnt to be as Blakemore went down injured with a knee injury and saw only 5 minutes court time in 3 games. Blakemore underwent the knife and returned to the NBL in season 1998 for the Brisbane Bullets, but once again it wasnt to be as his knee gave him troubles again and he failed to get on court for the Bullets.

In 2000/01 Blakemore played in the Australia Basketball Association (ABA) with the Albury/Woodonga Bandits. The Bandits won their conference in that year and Blakemore averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Blakemore than went on to working as an instructor for the Defence Force in Albury Woodonga.

Reply #119251 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Thanks DJ the last couple of years I dindn't know about, so I assume his knee is bad enough that he has retired from hoops?

Reply #119256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey DJ, nice Blakemore pic. Brings back some memories. Where did you find that pic, or any others like it?

Reply #119262 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

thats cool to know i use to here other things involving drugs so it's good to hear some positive things for once

Reply #119271 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Got a few pics from back when I was running Sixers Lounge.

Chris Blakemore Player Profile (includes more pics).

Reply #119354 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't know much about Brad but here is his stats Brad McKinnon Player Profile

Reply #119355 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

How do i post (or up load) a picture?

Reply #119362 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Brad Mckinnon was an absolute star in the making and anyone who witnessed his skill , and super competitive nature would have fond memories of these .
Hope all is going ok for him now .
I think it is fair to say both these lads slipped off the rails more than most but hey that is a big part of learning while growing up .

Reply #119380 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Brad had plenty of potential and 2 great memories was a half court hail marry that never looked like missing on at least 2 occasions!
The other was the U23 Gold medal game, instrumental in the last play that won the game!

Youtube anyone?

Reply #119412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad mckinnon was a champion he had all the potential and all the ability a young guy could ask for, he was a boomer in the making, but it never happened. maybe had issues with PHIL, wouldnt be the first 36ers.
brisbane wanted him a few years back, but they couldnt find him, they went lookin when one of there players got injured but he either never replied, or they never found him.
he works now, and is doin ok.

Reply #119482 | Report this post

seanboy  
Years ago

Played junior U/18 div 1 against Brad McKinnon and he was far and away the best player in the comp.When he left for the AIS,West went from grand finals against North to the bottom four or five teams(Us included)

Reply #119826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi,Brad McKinnon did go off the rails but has just started getting back to normal...He is still residing in Adelaide. He has suffered alot in the last 10 years and misses Basketball but due to his illness will never pick a ball up again... I never did see him play but was told by many people that he was a pretty wicked player...

Reply #179297 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Hey anon get a life Phil wasnt even around when McKinnon was here and when he left.Perhaps you could list the 36ers players that wereent happy cos i think your agenda just came through

Reply #179301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754