WTF
Years ago

Grand Final Appointment to South Aussie

The officials for this Saturday's defencejobs WNBL Grand Final between the Sydney Uni Flames and the Canberra Capitals at the Penrith Sports Stadium have been announced.

"Congratulations to the following referees:

Damien Theisz
Raoul Kirsten
Philip Haines

Topic #10385 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Gee....Sharon Arnold has fallen from grace

Reply #119255 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Well deserved by all following an excellent performance in the pre final.

More surprising is that there was a long standing unwritten practice of where possible, using female refs in "gold medal" games. Going to a three man system, the appointments panel couldn't find room for one female ref.

Not knowing Sharon's evaluation from the semi nor her availability for the pre or grand final, its a bit harsh to call "fall from grace", but Arnonld CT aside (materity) the female ref fraternity are thin on the ground at this standard.

Reply #119266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you obviously werent at the semi at the dome, she looked lost and unfit on the court - i reckon that is probably why she isn't on the game

Reply #119272 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Biased opinion? Arnold has never looked fit. Has never looked lost. Wont find it in her resume.

Reply #119280 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Sween,
I believe that the grand final referees were selected on performance. I agree that Sharon has never looked fit, but she was noticeably slow and out of position in Adelaide. It appears that her evaluation on the semi was average otherwise she would have gone further on the roster. Let's face it Sharon is no spring chicken and maybe her age is catching up with her. She hasn't been on the NBL panel for a long time, only does the occasional WNBL game so maybe it's time to call it a day. It's also a shame that there don't appear to be any female officials on the horizon that are going to take the next step.

Reply #119284 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Why does there need to be female officials? I don't see why sex should make a difference to umpiring??

Sounds like discrimination

Haines has missed out for a few years on the grand final due to it being an all girls club

I think they would pick the best candidates each time round regardless of male or female

Reply #119371 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Reply #119372 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Well said Clark Kent :-)

Reply #119394 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

WTF. Historically reffing was a bit of a boys club so emphasis to develop female refs had links to equal opportunity.

There is no written anything that females will ref women's finals but history shows clearly that they have been regularly appointed. History also show's that they (the appointees) have done a good job. The WNBL has awarded Sharon Arnold(25th Aniversary of WNBL) the best ref in their history to 2005 (also reffed WNBL GF 2006).

For point of discussion - when you have a number of refs who are have displayed that they are more than capable of controlling a final (inc. Haines) who do you select? Is that discrimination?

There has also been a fast tracking system for ex players. Doesn't seem to work that well but is that discrimation?

Back to the original post - Having seen the televised Pre final, the three officials assisted a competitive high standard game with low error rate and fully deserve their grand final appointments.

Reply #119456 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

imo I have noticed some female officials fast tracked to there detriment because they were moved to the top too fast.

I can think of at least one situation in SA and also one in NSW were they were clearly out of there depth and have now fallen from grace. there may be more that I don't know of around Australia.

In answer to your question I think it is discrimination to push someone because they are male or female.

If there is six people who can control a final and only 3 spot's surly you would pick those with most experience if you can't choose between them.

In this case I believe the powers to be would have been able to pick between these three guys and Sharon based on them being at the same standard but fitter and younger.

Otherwise it should always be the best of the best.

Reply #119497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed WTF.
You go to nationals and they say it doesn't matter about sex. But the 1/2 and 3/4 games at the end there is at least one female regardless.

Reply #119870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754