Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers need to get 07/08 right

Everyone knew this season wasn't going to be mega successful as with the sale of the team there were a lot of disruptions and certain measures were needed to be made in order just to get a team on the court, eg. only being able to offer players a one year deal and sticking to the cap.

Fast forward to next year, everyone expects success, if Mal doesn't provide the right coach, players, etc, then NBL basketball in this state may never recover.

Everyone will have different views on the above, but I think 07/08 is a make or break year for the 36ers franchise.

Topic #10415 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's that gloomy, but 07/08 is a good opportunity.

The fanbase of the team is too strong for them to collapse on a couple of bad seasons.

(Cut)

Reply #119691 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

That leaves the following:

Maher
Ng
Sutton
Hill
Dodman
Hovarth

There should be plenty of money now to sign a good import point guard plus a quality australian plus some roll players.

Reply #119701 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

But we will still need to pay Nash, that eats into the spending money..

Reply #119715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paying a player out of his contract does not effect the salary cap!

Reply #119718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, not an issue if there's a lot of spending money.

WTF, other than Maher, those other players are not yet signed, so some may not be retained - hard to say.

I'm not convinced that cutting Copeland, if it's true, is the right move. Say he gets cut, someone like the GC swoops and grabs him straight away, then you've got a couple of spots left, no rookies worth putting in there and you could really do with a veteran spark off the bench?

Reply #119719 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Does Mark Nash's salary count in the 07/08 salary cap if he retires and takes a front office job?

In the AFL if a player voluntarily retires the remanning amount of money is not counted as part of salary cap.

Reply #119723 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac, and I agree re Copes..
He shouldn't be cut, he was one of the few to show heart and dedication this season...even if he was a bit trigger happy.
Could be worse players than Mastro as well.

Reply #119729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The originally posted rumour may prove to be just that so I've removed it.

Reply #119742 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Isaac, re your point about the fan base - it's interesting you mention that. No doubt these supporters will continue to support the club, but will they continue to put their bums on seats?

I was speaking to one of the most dedicated and long-standing supporters of the club today, who has also had some significant dealings with the club.. I asked him if he will be buying his regular "Gold" season tickets for next year (with his wife and 2 children), and he wasn't so sure. Was leaning towards no actually.

How many people are like that? More than just him I'd say. Plus you have Adelaide in the soccer finals this weekend, people are getting into that. I'd say they need to do some serious marketing for next season if they want crowd numbers.

Reply #119757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On a really average night, the 36ers still get a crowd that many clubs would sell their firstborn to get even a few times in a season. At that comes on the back of a very challenging season - I think some new faces in the squad and changes at the Dome could only bring people to the games.

Remember the Bullets game - 5,000 people. That's pretty solid.

Reply #119778 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Also, paul bauer said they are definitely looking at something to reward season ticket holders for 10 years etc.

Reply #119793 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

On the last game of the season I asked many people around me if I would see them next season. They all replied yes. Fans who have been going for many years do not just give up after 1 bad season. Especially if there were many reasons that contributed to that bad season and actions taken to correct it for the next. The people who are fed up and say they won't renew next season are a minority. I have been sitting with the same people around me for 5 years. Some of them have been there 10 years plus. This coming season will be the first season that the team is not only privately owned, but the owner will have full control. I think its an exciting time to see how many changes are made and how much success comes from these changes. To anyone contemplating on not renewing their tickets for next year, I would say delay it for another year and see what happens. Don't miss out on all the changes happening now for the next season. Be a part of it and if you don't like it then stop coming. The odds of the next season being more successful are great just in the odds alone. We finished 11th out of 12. To have a poorer season next season, we only have 1 position to move down. To have a better season, we have the option of 10 positions to move up.

Reply #119889 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

EC - two positions to move down next season, with the addition of the GC and Razors staying on.

Reply #120075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the season a disaster because of playing personel or becases of coaching flaws or a combination of both?
Top coaches get the best out of average teams and win championships with great teams. We know Phil couldn't achieve anything with the last crop of players so does he need world beaters to be successful? If he does then hell will freeze over before he's successful again.
If he's retained because to pay him out is not an option forget 2007/8. If he's retained because the B'Ball brains trust think he's the man, buy a new brains trust and watch the girls. Stale can never be fresh even when microwaved Stateside with liberal doses of new ideas.

Reply #120089 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#120089, we'll only know the answer to your questions if the entire 36ers of this season just finished stay together for another season but coached by Joey Wright or Brian Goorjian.

Reply #120106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754