cLaRkY
Years ago

Mackinnon named Best Defensive Player

Sam Mackinnon has been named the Best Defensive Player of the 2006/07 NBL season.
Mackinnon polled a total of 91 votes to finish ahead of Dave Thomas (33 votes) and Darnell Mee (22 votes).

Mackinnon averaged 1.4 blocks (4th in league), 1.8 steals (4th in league) and 6.9 defensive rebounds (3rd in league) over the regular season.

Article on NBL site
http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4720

Topic #10462 | Report this topic

bballer  
Years ago

I really do struggle to understand how Phil Smyth has won 4 NBL defensive player awards yet coaches a team with some of the worst defense ever seen by an NBL team. You would think someone with his knowledge of the game could translate into the players. He prided himself on his d how come he doesnt get the best out of his players defensively?

Reply #120354 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

MMM MAybe beacuse we dont have the players that want to play D, i mean copeland, mastrovich, farley, even horvath they r not strong defenders. Back in 98 99 we had a great team, and a team that cud play great solid team defence

Reply #120356 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Gee whiz it gets a bit rich when someone starts a thread and the very first post hijacks it as an anti Phil thread. Get on topic!

Sam Mac is going to be a multiple winner this year his defecive game just seems to get better as the years go by.

Reply #120368 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Bloody Phil highjacking again!!!!!
How did Mee stack up against Mac? The Kings Brigade?

Reply #120384 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I'm still convinced most people don't know how to judge the best defensive player award. It is simply an area that is so hard to judge ig you go on the meagre stats that are recorded.....
Mackinnon averaged 1.4 blocks (4th in league), 1.8 steals (4th in league) and 6.9 defensive rebounds (3rd in league) over the regular season.
Certainly wouldn't judge it on blocks. How many swats didn't he get and allowed an easy bucket or fouled for a 3 point play? Players that constantly go for the block give up more than what that one spectacular block gives to the team. Defensive boards certainly would weigh favourably to the fwd\centre positions disadvantaging the guards.
So I guess that only leaves steals and when your talking 2.1 to 1.8 that .3 of a steal I don't think you could say is a determining factor between player A and B.
Maybe the categories should be how many times a player denies his man the ball, how many times he pulls up penetration, how many times a player makes the correct defensive rotation, how many times contact is made on a block out, how much pressure is put on the ball. I think that's how a coach would rate a players defensive effort.
I'm sorry but I see players out there working a lot lot harder than Sammy which is benefiting there team more than what Sammy's effort does.

Reply #120391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Izzy, your top three?

Reply #120394 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Isaac
In no particular order....
1. Brad Davidson
2. Dillon Boucher
3. Mark Worthington

Reply #120399 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Izzy
Agree with you on the Dillon Boucher choice. He's one of those guys who moves so well to deny his man the ball and how often do you see him get a fingure to the ball and knock it out of bounds.

His a thought what would be your defensive playing team of the year by position?
PG Davidson
2G Mee
SF Machinnon
PF Boucher (probably out of position)
C Ellis (a favorite of mine)

Reply #120424 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

TK

1.Brad Davidson
2.Jason Smith
3.Mark Worthington
4.Dillon Boucher
5.Chris Anstey

Honourable mention to Paul Henare at the point and Aaron Grabau at the 2/3 spots. Didn't pick Mee as when he wants to 'D' it up there is no one better, however he doesn't do it nearly consistent enough these days.

Reply #120436 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Izzy
My team against your team. Scores locked a 0 - 0 at full time! Shoot free throws to to who wins.

Reply #120441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Izzy,
Forget the stats, MacKinnon is the best defender in the League bar none.
His versatility in being able to defend most positions on the court sets him apart from the others.
Nearly every game this year has kept his opponent well locked up.
Grabau would be my other pick, Darnell picks and chooses his moments these days but grab-hold brings it every single night and is rarely beaten.

Reply #120444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

drew williamson is a gun defender and as his game improves and he gets more court time i think his name may be on that award in a couple of years

Reply #120447 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Apols for lack of knowledge but who votes?

Reply #120607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754