Isaac
Years ago

Hoare Best Sixth Man, Watkins to GC

Stephen Hoare from the Tigers has been named best sixth man, beating Joe Ingles and Dillon Boucher.

Meanwhile, Mark Watkins has joined Brendan Joyce and the new Gold Coast franchise as assistant coach.

In NZ at their awards night, Carlos Powell was named MVP while Brent Charleton was Players' Player and Pauli Henare was named best Club Man.

Topic #10466 | Report this topic

DrB  
Years ago

smart move at the GC getting Mark, he has great experince and good contacts with junior associations around the country from his time at the AIS.

Speaking of GC - Issac have you heard any news in reference to the team name?

Reply #120389 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, haven't really been following it too closely.

Reply #120392 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

The new name was supposed to be announced last week but nothing has been said at all. Not even anything on their website saying a decision is pending etc etc.

Reply #120395 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Just had a look at the GC bulletin , they have qouted due to be advised today however waiting clearance on trade mark of name?
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/02/20/3381_sports.html

Reply #120401 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

IMO. Gold Coast Heat
waiting for a clearance gives me more reason to believe Heat will be the name.

Reply #120416 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

surmdog i think you could be correct there, i am going with the goldcoast heat!

Reply #120437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't find anything in a trademark or ABN/ACN search that confirms Heat.

Reply #120438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I believe the NBA has in the past attempted to restrict basketball clubs internationally using the same names as NBA teams. I read somewhere that Townsville changed their name because of NBA pressure. The name "Heat" might have a US based international trademark?

Reply #120439 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, that's the story as far as I'm aware.

Reply #120445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754