Anonymous
Years ago

20 Nationals in Ballarat

Vics beat WA by 12 and keep them to 60 .

Once again, the Vics are still hanging around.

Not a mention in the polls prior to the Champs beginning .

Topic #10475 | Report this topic

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I posted in another thread SA beaten 61 v Qld 94 with Dodman only playing 14 mins, any word of an injury?

Reply #120502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No injury mate, he fouled out in 14 mins.

Reply #120507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any link to stats

Reply #120521 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

how did the boys play any stand outs in the game.

Reply #120530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will take you to the Nationals webpage, then just follow the links. (Very straight forward from there).

Reply #120532 | Report this post

Big Bob  
Years ago

How about Patrick Mills? 35.7 a game, 4.3 Assists, and 4.7 Steals (next closest player has 2.7 steals). 52 points (3 from 18 3 pt) against NSW!

Reply #120538 | Report this post

Big Bob  
Years ago

I meant 13-18 from 3pt.

Reply #120539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm adding something to the header of the site so people can easily track this tournament. If I miss a game, please drop me an email.

Reply #120549 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Pat Mills, the next big thing?

Reply #120557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what college is mills going to?

Reply #120593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are QLD the team to beat? Looks like we struggled against them - only 2pts in the 3rd quarter! Also Dodman AND Wernham both fouling out in less than 20 mins wouldn't help.

Reply #120594 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Mills is going to St Marys .

Should do well over there, has all the tools to be a great point guard in the college system.

Reply #120596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am going to get shot for this but...
Is Phil or Steve there?????

Reply #120606 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

looks like pat is left with a crap team in nationals again, and has to score 90% of the points for the team, and take on 80& of the work load... would be interesting to see how he went with a decent team to his side

Reply #120644 | Report this post

Yeti  
Years ago

No, I've seen Mark Cowan, Shane Heal and Scott Ninnis from the Dragons. Bruce Palmer as well, don't know who he's working for, I think Ian Stacker.

Reply #120646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what?

Reply #120657 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Go the Fishlick! (Ref in both SA girls games)

Reply #120658 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Big Bob, what do you mean 52 points against NSW? He scored 40 against them and shot 5/13 from the arc. What are you on about?

Reply #120689 | Report this post

Big Bob  
Years ago

I was just reading OZHoops here....

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=10931

Reply #120693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When we pick the best available team we will do better.

Reply #120735 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Just checking the stats leaders for these comps, I have the following dumb question: what is a defensive assist? Why is everyone in the top 10 averaging 0.0 DAs? If everyone is averaging 0.0 (as it appears), how do they select the top 10? Why bother keeping this stat if it's meaningless?

(Yep - that was actually four dumb questions.)

Reply #120940 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Luckily for you Bo, I am able to answer your question(s).

Defensive assists are no longer an officially recorded stat, however, whoever is processing the combined stats, has obviously left it on there, despite them not being recorded in the games played.

A defensive assist is (was) recorded when a player takes a charge, and various other things that directly created a turnover, without being an actual steal. There has been a change recently in the interpretation of a steal, which has encompassed some defensive plays that were previously rewarded with a defensive assist. Now you are credited with a steal if it's deemed that your actions led directly to a turnover, regardless of whether the ball is kept in play. Taking a charge, however, gets no credit anywhere on a box score these days.

I have no idea how the top 10 are picked, though. The program must assign it somehow?

I can tell you one small tid bit on defensive assists though. Andrew Vlahov, in his first season of NBL after a stint at Stanford, led the league in defensive assists in 1991. I hope this allows you to sleep a little better tonight, Bo.

Reply #120964 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Thanks for that, HA - but there'll be no sleep for me tonight.

I'll be up from dusk to dawn pondering what other inane statistical categories have either crashed and burned (like defensive assists) or that I could invent.

Here are some starters:

1) Ring tap ratio: you know those athletic players, who aren't really very good, but can leap out of the gym? They're the guys who continually jump up and stick their hands near the rim after the ball goes through the basket just to show, you know, that they were so supremely positioned that had the initial shot missed, they would have been RIGHT THERE to spectacularly tip-jam the ball home in a feat of such breathtaking power and athleticism that spectators would have instantaneously leapt out of their seats to high-five the nearest spectactor, irrespective of whether they knew each other.

The RTR would keep track of how often these players did this. It's important stuff to know.

2) High-fiveometer. How good a teammate is Player X? Track his high-fives to find out. Does he only do it as his teammates head into a timeout? Is he skilled enough to high-five a teammate while running back on defense? Can he use both hands? Does he value-add by occasionally going a high-ten, or a ruffle of the hair, or a butt-slap? Crank the high-fiveometer up to find out.

3) Pre-game layup percentage. Underrated stat: you might think that guys using the pre-game warm up to attempt ridiculous dunks or that really cool reverse layup they've been working on after practice has no bearing on the game to follow. Wrong.

A NCAA team, South Western Central Alaska State, worked out that if their pre-game % fell below 90%, they'd lose the game 8 out of 9 times. They started charting it, and now they only lose 7 out of 9 if it goes below 90.

(OK, I made that bit up about the NCAA team - but man, pre-game layup stats ARE IMPORTANT.)

Reply #121004 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bo, I hate to repeat myself, but time and time again you get me in stitches....lol.

Reply #121007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any maths people out there care to do some Regression Analysis on Bo's theories. Bo all jokes aside it would be interesting to see if statistically those stats you jokingly put up have an impact. They may well do!?!!??!

Reply #121008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754