Anonymous
Years ago

Heal sacks Franklin at airport

Word around the camp fire is that after the final against Cairns Heal approached Kavosy Franklin at the airport and told him he wont be coming back next year.

Your all class Shane

Topic #10520 | Report this topic

6er turned DRAGON  
Years ago

i seriously doubt even Shane would stoop that low considering he's a team captain.....

Shane holds him in too high regard to give him such treatment

who's your source...

Reply #121130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHASE KAVOSSY FRANKLIN! Get him in a Sixer uniform.....PLEASE!

Reply #121131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree... could do a lot worse than Kavossy.

Reply #121135 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Not sure about Franklin. Just had a look at a comparison between stats for Farley and Franklin and found these numbers:

NAME PPG RPG APG FG% 3PT%
Farley 21 4 3 42 34
Franklin 20 4 4 47 39

Interesting to see that Franklin probably gets his points more efficiently, since he has a higher FG%. Very similar otherwise.
Farley came under a lot of scrutiny for his D, but compared to Franklin he does pretty good.

NAME SPG BPG
Farley 1.7 .27
Franklin 0.98 .06

All stats taken from nbl.com.au
What are Hoopsters thoughts?

Reply #121141 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think both Franklin and Farley are great players, obviously both have there strengths and weeknesses, if the 36ers signed him i think it wouldnt be a bad move, as he could share the PG with Maher quite easily as he does with Heal, and is very intnense and hard working on Defence, but on the otherside he isnt as big as Farley, would a Maher/Franklin be to short, i say no since Heal/Franklin seems to work reasonably well and Maher is a similar size to Heal, but a bigger guard like a Darnell Mee obviously has its advantages

Reply #121146 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I'd prefer Farley. If he got back into a little bit of form then he would be better then Kavossy and willie is an Adelaide favourite too.

Reply #121162 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Farley isn't a favourite anymore! Dont bother comparing stats. Franklins stats will be a non factor for a couple of reasons. There is no stat for timing of a tough shot, having to change your style, because you are literally taking the coaches points, and attitude and toughness brought to a team. One of the best, and due to Heal's presence, underated guards in the country. Simply wants to win, and doesnt look for individual glory to do so!

Remebering he has been a winner in Sydney, got Hunter to the playoffs (alongside a different to recent form Brian Weathers), and now the expansion Dragons.

Reply #121171 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

franklin is a great player who got better as the season went on,remember you had a new team finding its feet ,then sacking its coach after five games,once things settled down i bet you will find his stats read far more impressively

Reply #121173 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Valid point fess, but i took both Farleys and Franklins career NBL stats, which includes championship seasons for both!

Reply #121176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats can lie. CURRENTLY, you would be an idiot to not sign Franklin over Farley, on attitude alone. Yet in there championship seasons, you would probably be an idiot to not Farley.

Reply #121183 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

gotta have new blood with imports i think farley and franklin are great - but have been scouted to death - the teams that do well - often find a new mix of established players and a gun import or two that nobody knows much about - ie look at how carlos powell exploded this season.

Reply #121202 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And look where the Breakers were on the ladder, while Brisbane (Rychart and Ere) and Melbourne (Thomas and Tucker) succeeded with proven imports.

As for new blood, there was:

Andersen (Dragons dumped him before the season)
Fuller (canned after five games)
Rowland (Kings dumped him, Crocs got more from him)
Powell (statistically a success, a challenge for the team)
Scott (OK)
Wooten (below average)
Beasley (bust)
Brooks (pretty decent)
Gardner (dumped by Crocs)
Owens (OK)
Chandler (decent)
Bailey (average)
Elliott (average, dumped)

New blood gives you the chance of unearthing something special, but it also gives you the opportunity to harm your season - witness Sydney this year and their import troubles.

And for teams who went with a known quantity, new to them this season:

Franklin (very good)
Ellis (very good)
Horvath (decent, 20 PPG)
Ere (very good)
Rychart (very good)
Wethers (decent, 20 PPG)
Ya Ya Dia (basically same as before)
Helms (good)

Reply #121203 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Took the words out of my mouth Isaac, agree totally.

Also found that Carlos Powell really never showed that he understands the game of 'team' basketball. That Breakers team should have made the top 4 with the talent they had. Think Powell's lack of passing may have affected Brian Weathers game. Weathers a proven scorer probably felt the pressure to score every time he touched it, which wasn't often, hence he took poor shots from game one and never recovered.

Mind you, Carlos Powell would do very good in one of those '1 on 1' tournaments Footlocker put together in the States.

Reply #121204 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

Reply #121207 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Just found it interested that people critcise Farleys D when he still avgs a decent 1.7spg! I guess a lot of those would be from gambling in the lane so his direct player would probably get some easy baskets during the course of the game, and his attitude isnt up where it needs to be. Since midseason I have thought that we need a new direction for imports. I agree with 'been around' though, new blood could help the 6ers. Isaac makes a fair point about provend talent, but all of these players were new to the L at some point, a may not have been effective immediatley. Take Rhycart at the Giants/Titans for example.

Reply #121218 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Hustle, it doesn't matter that he averages 1.7 steals, he plays no denial, no D at all. He get's steals when he cheats on a pass.

Farley's man could always break him down and get an open look from him because he plays lazy D.

Reply #121219 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Since when do steals equate to being a good defensive player .
That has been the perception in the states for a while and it seems that when most get to the big league that is what they chase to the detriment of team .
One would think that keeping your mans points tally below yours , playing good help defense with in teams principles , working your man over , playing the lanes and then a well timed steal here or there would noted as good defence .
Comparing steal and block stats between players to make judgement on defensive prowess shows total lack of understanding for the intangible nuance of the game .

Reply #121233 | Report this post

kc4mvp  
Years ago

Hawks would love a Franklin

Reply #121271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is he sacked from the dragons or not?

Reply #121370 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

1.7 steals is all well and good, but its the times the player gambles for the steal and is not successfull either giving up easy layups, or getting horribly out of position that makes them a poor defender.

Reply #121440 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

He wouldnt have sacked him... if he had it would have been reported by the Herald sun down here.

Reply #121526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754