Isaac
Years ago

U20 Nationals - expected results?

The girls got bronze and the boys came fifth. What does everyone think about the placings of the teams? Expected?

Topic #10523 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

I dont know much about this age group, but I thought the girls had a very strong team. Couple of WNBL players and squad members, as well as some ABL level players. But I dont have much to compare to as only follow the Lightning in WNBL. Did other state teams have WNBL talent?

Reply #121220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the boys team over-acheived. Not many people (myself included) thought they'd finish top 5 after the loss of their starting AIS guard. Credit to the boys!

On the girls side of things, i think 3rd is also a reasonable result. Sure they've got plenty of talent, but the majority of this team (6 by my count) are still bottom ager's.

Reply #121222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls should have done better. Having said that a bronze is great.Boys did well for the team picked.

Reply #121223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hustle - same, which is why I put it out there for others. The girls looked to have a pretty strong team.

What can people tell me about Fildes? Seemed to do well during the tournament?

Reply #121225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fildes is a great kid. He has potential and confidence. He has broken into the ABA scene in a big way and will do well. His old man has sent lots of DVDs to colleges in the States and I think it is only a matter of time before he gets an offer.

Reply #121229 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Girls - 4 AIS players + 1 WNBL (previously AIS player) plus some local support crew.
Is bronze really good enough for team like this?
However congrats anyway.

Reply #121248 | Report this post

zzzzz  
Years ago

Benn "I love myself" McDonald did the Men's Grand Final.

At least he did what he said he was going to do!!

(Mod: Please use a sensible alias.)

Reply #121249 | Report this post

Pro  
Years ago

Another SA umpire achieving at a national level. There have been quite a few lately.

Well done to Benn, He has come back from a serious injury

I would also add that most athletes have a certain level of confidence which is not a bad thing imo

Reply #121250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on paper the girls were the best team there on my opinion.

Reply #121255 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

The girls were EASILY the best team on paper..........

But obviously the lead up to the tournament was a MAJOR issue.

If the girls team/squad did the yards the guys did, Gold would have been a formality.

The guys did great without Seebohm, he was going to be a major scorer for them and to get 5th with only 2 bad quarters for the week is a great effort.

Only lost to the gold medalists by 6!

Reply #121259 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Just looking at the women's results the SA team had 5 crushing victories and 1 small loss, unforunately that loss came in the semi final to the eventual champion (who ended up absolutely pumping Qld in the final). Seems as though the bronze result wasn't a fair represenation of their tournament as a whole and that they were unlucky not to come back with at least silver.

Reply #121261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the SA girls should of won no question. I have no idea how they lost to Victoria. shoud not of happened. the sa boys choked there game against WA. terrible defensively. they got lucky by playing nsw first game as the nsw boys came out rusty and didn't play well at all. if they played later in the week NSW would of crushed them. Also no excuse to lose to qld by 40.

Reply #121317 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Isaac. I played against Fildes late last year. For a kid his age he seems remarkably composed and confident on court. He had a couple of 30+ point games in div 1 mens and lots more 20+ games.
A long 1/2 man with shooting range who can get to the hole. I see a big future for him.

Reply #121359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL material? Undersized for his position?

For the NBL fans out there, what NBL player(s) would he be most similar to?

Reply #121362 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Hasn't he already got a deal with a college? Seeing as he doesn't want to play ABL in case it hurts his chances to play college, what will he mostly be doing over the next few months, under 20's and just trainings with the ABL team?

Reply #121364 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Isaac
He is undersized at the moment.
He really stepped up a gear last week and played with real intensity, something that will see him at NBL level I think.
His body will fill out in the next couple of years, so I would say an exciting prospect!
Plus he is a terrific person, quality all the way.

Reply #121369 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Isaac, I haven't seen him enough to be too authoritative on this, but maybe a David Barlow?

Reply #121371 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

He reminds me of a toothpick actually.

Reply #121372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nowhere near the athleticism barlow has. also not as big. offensive game is strating to develop but defensively he isn't good. has work to do but possibly could develop to an nbl player

Reply #121505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the girls side of things they underperformed like you wouldnt believe, they were easily the best team on paper and should have smashed every team there. Maybe they weren't coached right, the coach hardly played Bishop and Francis together at the same time, even when behind in the semi-final.

Reply #121634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no way mate iv seen fildes play and have played against him, he is a pretty tough defender, with his work ethic there is no doubt he will be NBL and div 1 college potential.

Reply #121635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaah, the old "blame the coach" line.....

Reply #121646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how the coach gets blamed - this age group has underachieved at Nationals every time - with a different coach each time.

Perhaps its something that's been common to these teams.

Reply #121648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stats actually show that Bishop played 36 mins in the SF and Francis 25. Therefore they were on together for at least 21 minutes, which is over half the game. Maybe the fact that they did not have an ideal preparation may have more to do with it than the coaching.

Reply #121652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps its something that's been common to these teams."
(#121648) What do you mean by that.

Reply #121787 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Despite this team underachieving as people have stated, I think its wonderful to see how much talent SA has in this age group, for people on here to say that we clearly should have won is just a testament to the fact that we arent always behind the eastern states and should be proud of our athletes.

Reply #121926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im just wondering how many more SA girls will now be pulled into the AIS program, obviously the coach needs to get a couple more in there now, 5 not enough to develop them to win a national.

Reply #122038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should leave politics out of it and pick the best team available. Coach doesn't' recognise talent or is dictated to by others

Reply #122115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#122115)
Which coach AIS or state??
Not many state ones to choose from I hear.

Reply #122127 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

The biggest problem with this team is unhealthy rivalry that plagued it for quite a while. 2 big girls played together for SA country and never done anything great as they always tried to outdo each other to the detriment of the team  this is a well known fact. Add to it one more (not mention names) that has the same attitude and the team spirit is basically gone. Individually they are brilliant but unfortunately great players not always make great teams.

Reply #122132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

realist

i agree to some extent, it would have been a tough gig as a coach, all the expectations plus the management of egos you outlined.
Still bronze was not good enuff with that list IMO

Reply #122145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when did talent assure a gold?
They underperformed for sure, will they learn from it for next year?
Lots of first years in that group.

Reply #122152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realist- no team spirit, unhealthy rivarly, bad attitude,these accusations all semed to be directed to a certain player a few years ago. She wasn't there this time but the problems still exist.
"Brilliant" players don't only need basketball training. They need proper guidance, understanding and help in developing their talent and minds as they get older ie People that genuinly care about them. The other states handle this very well hence develop "brilliant" older players that seem to go further with their basketball than our "brilliant" players and win championships.

Is gold the most important thing to certain coaches above everything else ??

Reply #122155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#122155)
Isnt that the aim of the exercise?

Reply #122158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few egos in the boys team as well.

Reply #122159 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

(#122155)
Newley & Ingles probably fall into the brilliant category.

Reply #122163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can assure you Newley's brilliance was not developed here. Some one did decide to take him under their wing and it wasn't in Adealide.

Reply #122165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither played in this u20 team!!WTF

Reply #122168 | Report this post

Nose Nuggets  
Years ago

to old

Reply #122169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too say they have talent is generous, they under achieved claiming a multitide of excuses for why it wasnt their tournament.
Forget the coaches as the reason, to take away some of the players was a large mistake given the attitide to both their team mates and the game in general. One only has to cast their mind back to the 18's nationals in Adelaide and the behaviour of one particular player to understand why the chemistry was all wrong.
Time after time we here the credentials needed to be selected espoused and ignored. lesser talented players around the core group of 'team players' would have produced better results. Poor, damm poor selections.

Reply #122217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#122217)
I assume you mean the blokes??
There was only 10 try out for the girls!

Reply #122224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selected team was not up to scratch in boys. Selection process or politics reason for failure.

Reply #122230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh, good to hear the Woodville U20 boys are still around....

Reply #122239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls team was a team in name only and I did witness the foul mouth and attitude of a particular player at Wayvile.

Reply #122245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give the girls a break. They lost one game to Vic by 5 points and they went on to win Gold by heaps. The Game against the Vic things were not happening for them. Yes they might have been a bit soft but that is the problem with MOST of the SA players that go through our SASI program, people/coaches are TOO worried about players been letter correct and take their drive away from them - squash them instead of encouraging them. Player are too scared of doing the wrong thing. The Girls ONLY lost one game.

Reply #122259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Lost....

Reply #122266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ahhh, good to hear the Woodville U20 boys are still around...."
What is this about?

Reply #122271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All players selected but in the work and deserved to be there, i cant think of any player in the boys or girls that didnt make it that deserved to, even if they did, what players would they push out.

Reply #123113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#259 I couldn't agree more with your summary .... "Yes they might have been a bit soft but that is the problem with MOST of the SA players that go through our SASI program, people/coaches are TOO worried about players been letter correct and take their drive away from them - squash them instead of encouraging them. Player are too scared of doing the wrong thing."
I have seen it time and time again where players are crucified for stepping outside the drill training but then are absolutely battered for not making the most of an opportunity. Yes - skills are essential and the ability to be a team player is a given but every player out there that has any talent and has gone on to play at a higher has not let anyone take anyway their natural drive and flair and the ability to use it at the right moment.

Reply #123130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754