warthog
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell

i know you read this site rupert

how about writing a book on your basketball career?

Topic #1053 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Maybe he could have a chapter on favourite hats. The one on Saturday night was a beauty!! :)

Reply #11763 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

And perhaps he could also explain why his NBL career has come to a sudden end. Age is no reason - look at the big dinosaur still banging bodies for the Sixers.

Is Sap playing ABL next year as well as coaching?

Reply #11823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sap could certainly do better than Rigby for the Hawks this year...

Reply #11826 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

You are so dirty on Rigby since you signed him in SAHFBL hoping he would have a good season, and he hasn't fired!! :)

Reply #11828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeh, he's been a dud. Probably the worst pick of that whole draft!

And Chappell, don't get me started on him!

Reply #11832 | Report this post

rupert  
Years ago

Of course I read this site warthog. My life lacks humour at times, and I find this an excellent remedy. Most of the players read fan forums like this, but generally only after they've played well.
For me, I like the ideas some of the posts generate with regards to the district clubs. As for the Sixers, I hope management read this also. After all, they are attempting to provide a service for you guys, and some of the ideas deserve serious consideration.

As for my career, I'm not that full of myself that I think anyone would care about a book!

The sudden stop was part circumstance, part opportunity. Circumstance: I was released really late in the free agency period and most of the teams were full. There were a couple of nibbles, but nothing serious enough to warrant dragging my family to yet another part of the country. Also bear in mind the Taipans are obligated to honour my contract, so it was never a financial issue. I would've liked to have kept playing, the body is still able, but I've had a good run.
Opportunity: I have wanted to coach for a number of years now, and the oppotunity arose back here in my home town to take on my own team. I expect to be back in the NBL as a coach within three years, but in order to do that I had to start filling my resume. So given the relatively short term nature of my playing career versus the (hopefully) long term coaching prospect, the decision was pretty simple. I am not one to drag out something that has no future.

Playing with Norwood? While that would help in the short term, it doesn't do the club any favours in the long run. In order for sustained good results at the club, those minutes need to go younger players who are the future of the club, and hopefully the 6ers.

So there you have it - a long-winded but sincere response to many of your queries. (I refuse to answer questions about my beloved grey hat!) Now, if I could turn this forum's attention to more important issues, I feel it relevant to start topics like:
game night ideas to jazz up the product.
what are the appropriate ticket prices?
Revenue raising avenues for district clubs
what merchandise would you like to see at the games.

These are all things that management can actually act upon. The more useful and relevant information that appears here, the more likely there are to read it. And the more likely this forum is to have a real positive impact on basketball in South Australia.

Happy hooping

Sap

Reply #12187 | Report this post

Slothby  
Years ago

Rupert, It is I your beloved college roomate from the states. Lost your e-mail, please give me a call. Are you still wearing funny hats? Sorry, for interuppting the forum.

Kelley Slothby

Reply #30636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754