nothappyjan
Years ago

No support from the Stag

I am just wondering if the Stag is supposed to be backing the ABL this season. I know of several ABL players who went there on Saturday night and who were not let upstairs, when it was well under capacity. I think it's a pretty poor effort when so many ABL players have been loyal to that place for the past 12 months. I'm curious to know if there will be an alternative venue this year post ABL games (??)

Topic #10538 | Report this topic

notprettyenough  
Years ago

I'm disappointed in the effort from the Stag in recent times too! It was all well and good when the place was trying to get its status back up to take our money but now that all the pretty blondes in the short shorts want to go there incase a fotballer or McLeods Daughters star is there we're not needed.

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty i play basketball the Stag owes me something and i am prepared to wait for 80 people to come down stairs if thats the deal for everyone. I waited while people came down stairs and the beautiful people kissed the bouncers and went up stairs. Are they supporting us all the time, or only when no one else will pay the ridiculous prices for drinks?

Reply #121374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its fair to say the Stag will lose a fair bit of revenue if it loses the support of ABL players. during main season last year it seemed like half the place consisted of ABL players. looks as if they need to lift their game!

Reply #121377 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

I told you that place was a joke!

Reply #121378 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The ABL should adopt The Astor. Reasonable prices, good food ($10 meals), no line ups.

Reply #121379 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Try the Stig instead. He may not be able to provide drinks - but some say the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring.

Reply #121382 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Kwest - that is gold!

Reply #121383 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Isaac - I agree

Reply #121384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Stag blows chunks

Reply #121418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

notprettyenough I agree. I could think of many better places than the stag. Have management been made aware that the ABL people aren't happy because as a group they spend a lot of money there? Does it happen every week or was it a once off? PS: What Mcleods Daughter's star goes there??

Reply #121506 | Report this post

Ladies man  
Years ago

I heard Manute that you are planning to venture outside your usual VIP apperances in the nightclubs of little Sudan to bust a few flashdance moves at HQ on Wednesday nights?

Reply #121543 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

New place would be good. I agree with the Astor! Lets Lock it in.
Do it

Reply #121544 | Report this post

notprettyenough  
Years ago

Anon 121506, this isn't an isolated incident, although this is the worst i have personally been treated. Like i said i dont expect to have the red carpet rolled out for me, if the deal with the Stag is off, i'd just go somewhere else as i have never seen the point in lining up to get in anywhere. I dont envy the guys that work there, and i know they have a tough job dealing with drunk people and all that, however their job is still customer service and as a loyal customer i expcet better than the treatment i have been receiving lately, but i guess my skirt wasn't short enough! I guess the management doesn't care to lose money from the ABL group now that other people go there, they will make money either way however when another venue gets popular and everyone starts steering away from the Stag they will realise why being loyal to those who pump money into you when you aren't popular is important.

The McLeods gang is often at the Stag when they come to town, i don't know names sorry, but the whole gang has been there on more than one occasion.

Reply #121566 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Yes, the rumours are true ladies man. I plan to reactive the yellow suit and tear up the dance floor at HQ doing my famous rendition of the moon walk to Billie Jean.

At the end of the song I'll scream "Woooo" do a full spin, pause then hold my crutch with painful look on my face.

Reply #121606 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

For those of you who haven't seen the suit.....

Reply #121609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where is the Astor?

Reply #121715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Astor is on the corner of Gilles and Pulteney. A block south of Hurtle Sq. It's usually easy to get a park on Gilles St either West or East of Pulteney.

Changed hands a short while ago (a friend of my girlfriend is the primary owner which is why we started going) and it's just a good honest pub. Reasonable prices, good, honest food ($10 meals, every day of the week), no pokies (can't be said of all pubs these days).

I will go there most weeks and have introduced many people who keep going back. Give it a shot for a meal on a weeknight and see what you think.

I generally go for the chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce (common, I know), but there are some other good options on the menu worth trying too.

Reply #121718 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Highly recommend the Chicken Schnitzel Burger myself

Reply #121721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds good, what musc do they have?

Reply #121754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's more of a pub than a club, so you're reliant on live music or a jukebox.

Reply #121769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not try HQ? yea i know its abit woggy, but the management there is fairly involved in sports one way or another, so dont see why they wouldnt jump on the abl band wagon... theres always mansions aswell, anywhere but stag would be awesome

Reply #121776 | Report this post

David Bowley  
Years ago

I am currently in talks with "First" upstairts at Hotel Richmond to come on board this year and provide a quality venue with good drinks, music & a central location (Rundle Mall). Details will follow via this Forum once i return from OS.

DB

Reply #121780 | Report this post

PROMO OFFER  
Years ago

doesn't everyone see each other enough to maybe venture away from the oh so stimulating bball hoopsters crowd , yeah ! NO obviously not so lets all have a special venue where we can spread our sweat and stories on who scored the most (Mod: And that's the end.)

Reply #121946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People from opposition teams dont really see each other all that often so it is a good idea to have a central pub. If you dont like the idea then go somewhere else.

Reply #122100 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Stuff the stag! unfair treatment! pricey drinks! they call i drink specials i call it a extra 20cents in my pocket!! its time to ditch that crab shack and all move on to cheap drinks and massive nights out after games!!

Reply #122561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754