Anonymous
Years ago

Are there too many district clubs?

The standard of district has been a talking point for some time with many suggestions on the remedy but does BSA possess the power to withdraw a member club's right to exist?
Mavericks is a whole other issue I know but do the lower ranked district clubs who are struggling with junior team numbers and the ability to compete enhance or diminish district standing.
Apart from the 'hard work', 'pay a full time JDO' etc etc lines we hear from time to time what can be done to raise the level of competition weekly?
Are there too many district clubs for the market place to carry?

Topic #10547 | Report this topic

Tragic  
Years ago

Can we bag Western Magic on this thread?

Reply #121607 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

yes its always fun.

and yes there are too many district clubs just like there are too many afl clubs but good luck in getting clubs to agree to mergers and disolve

Reply #121621 | Report this post

Hahahaha very good Tragic. FACT: I was going to say the same thing!

Reply #121622 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

FACT: you guys are "morons"

Reply #121640 | Report this post

SA Great  
Years ago

No, I do not think that there are too many district clubs.
I think one needs to get away from the idea that only member clubs have a right to play in Div 1.
If a "social team" is good enough to compete with the best, then they should.

All these member clubs are too rigid in the rules that are there to protect their "little empires", in stead of doing what is best for local basketball.

We try hard to compete against our Victorian conterparts, but there is no competition. Clubs there have 10 courts at one venue. They promote the game there, and what do we do here in good old South Australia, worry about old fashioned rules, like only allowing member teams to have a Div 1 team, and making member clubs have a Div 1 team, when they are clearly not up to standard.

Growth is good, evan in small SA.

Reply #121644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1st of all the "non member" clubs that do not field div 1 teams need to be asked to look at other options other than the district comp.

Next there should be a minimum requirement to play in the district comp, like fielding a div 1 team in at least half the age groups with u10's & 12's being non negotiable.

If a club cannot come up with these basic requirements, then they make way for a social based club that is willing to field div 1 teams in the age groups required.

Over to you Spadge!

Reply #121654 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i think also we should start competeing in local carnivals instead of sayin "we are not supporting that club" for example the woodville carival that was on the oct long weekend and the centrals carnival australia day long weekend . not enough junior teams go to these. support local and the compitition will grow.if other clubs try and set up there own carnival we need to change our attitude for it to stay strong

Reply #121658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

121654, I think the problem with that theory is that the fastest growing markets size of population age (youthfullness) of population are in outer areas. Try explaining to an U10/U12 parent at trials at Mt Barker that their kid will play at places like SOuthern or Elizabeth or Pt Adelaide. Some kind of regional competition is needed for the younger age groups. otherwise you will kill off the clubs in area that represent the best opportunities to grow basketball.

What is the downside with having a club with teams in Div 3 only? as long as they are competitive at that level what is the problem with this?

I agree with SA great, open up the competition! If you are good enough to compete then why not?

Reply #121667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u want to scrap some lower district member clubs liek mavs and central haha look somewere else why dont we scrap western magic or torrens valey for example just pointing out if you want to scrap a team dont get rid of member clubs

Reply #121678 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think the "member clubs" idea is a unfortunate concept. If no other clubs can compete at division 1, the competition will remain stagnant and will not evolve. How many clubs have been accepted as a new member club in the last 20 years? Or even 30 years?

Sure, give the clubs like Torrens Valley, Western Magic no "member" status until they have built a sufficient level of competitiveness and professionalism. However, once they demonstrate that, give them membership status and allow them to build their reputation and standing.

Without these clubs being able to obtain "member" status, they will not be taken as seriously as others, will not be able to recruit top tier players, and won't be able to develop a number of metropolitan areas because the kids won't be playing against the best, and especially from a young age.

Just my opinion

Reply #121683 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Totally agreed Lockstock.

Reply #121720 | Report this post

dog  
Years ago

I think basketball s.a. should more we pay a lot of money into basketball.Lots of kid are to netball or soccer.

Reply #121725 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

You make no sense 'dog'
Are you an under 10?

Reply #121733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer to question. Yes. Who? magic that's who.

Reply #121778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock,

Adding more clubs would further dilute the competiton in juniors which is already suffereing from too many extremely one-sided results in most grades.

Reply #121793 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Which brings me to my next point - big name players, even big ABL players that kids look at and go "whoa, he's hige" getting out to schools and promoting the game. Clearly AFL and Soccer are taking over at the moment.

We need to get kids interested from an early age.

Reply #121805 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

answer: not enough district clubs and nine too many member clubs

Reply #121821 | Report this post

SA Great  
Years ago

The more clubs the better.
reducing the number of clubs does not guarantee that there will not be one sided games.

Strength vs strength, otherwise suffer the consequances.

How you get strength vs strength, that is the million dollar question.

Limiting the number of clubs does not guarantee strength vs strength. History has proved that.

We all know what the answer is, but as soon as you mention the word, you get shot down.
Lets continue in our old ways, change is too difficult to come to terms with, and maybe by doing nothing new, it will all improve by itself.

Reply #121853 | Report this post

larry  
Years ago

limiting the number of legitimate clubs guarantees imbalance of the competition. the answers are simple, there isnt one and are not found when dominated by fear,people instinctively want to improve and will change paths when they can see the benefits and are motivated

Reply #121863 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

re: Are there too many district clubs? (#121658)
i think also we should start competeing in local carnivals instead of sayin "we are not supporting that club" for example the woodville carival that was on the oct long weekend and the centrals carnival australia day long weekend . not enough junior teams go to these. support local and the compitition will grow.if other clubs try and set up there own carnival we need to change our attitude for it to stay strong

booga, 27/02/07

i never thought i would agre with u booga but here it is

Reply #121891 | Report this post

dog  
Years ago

aba should be on ace TV.
Indoor cricket comes on ace TV and Aba in bigger ?

Reply #121896 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

aba should be on ace TV.
Indoor cricket comes on ace TV and Aba in bigger ?

dog, 28/02/07

um ok yeah

Reply #121923 | Report this post

larry  
Years ago

Reply #121929 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i sugest we need to grow the sport to the outer edges of the city to improve numbers in the long run maybe like:
NORTHERN
woodville west north centrals barossa and a country assoc. runiing out of clare(just an idea)
SOUTHERN
sturt forrestville south southern mavs victor/goolwa norwood

i would also run it by alowing clubs to place a team in the other confrence if they have a team strong enough to play at the top level only but are willing to travel.
i would make it a 24 game season allowing us to get rid of summer. over the years u may add murray bridge and yorke penisular. make it club v club so if 1 team only has three divs. in one age group and another has 4 then the 4th has a bye
i would play all games on a saturday so they lead up to abl, so no u20 comp(they should be playing seniors if they are good enough).
i think adelaide is growing as a town and we should grow with it as a sport by changing our mentality that "oh it's to far".
your thoughts or any ideas to improve may be helpful.
and it's not a typo by not having magic or cougers we have enough local teams

Reply #122048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely centrals and Woodville are two clubs lucky to be in the comp and should look at mergers to provide better competition?

Reply #122062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

booga,

I agree totally, but not for the elite level.

The vic's have just moved to a 2 x 10 team Championship grade and all the elite level coaches hate it. The best 2 teams in Vic may never play until VC finals.

They consider this to be the main reason why they are not as dominant in Nationals.

If you had a 3 x 8 team elite level with qualifying over summer.

For the rest of the competition the North and South would be great.

Reply #122070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754