Jonno
Years ago

Talking Hoops??

Does anyone know if Talking Hoops is on tonight?? or will be on again in the future??

Topic #10555 | Report this topic

Interested  
Years ago

I believe it will no longer be on due to lack of sponsorship.

I believe they need $6,000 a year to run it, why wouldn't the lightning and 36ers put $3,000 in each and have their players host it?

Com'on Mal and Vince, get the players out there!

Reply #121706 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i reckon it would be money well spent for the 36ers and/or lightning to pay the bill and get some extra weekly media exposure. Pity if it is no longer on, it was a great show!

Reply #121707 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

"I believe it will no longer be on due to lack of sponsorship." - Your probably right but I'll believe it when I hear something official.

I get the idea hardly anyone tunes in. I reckon that's because hardly anyone knows it exists. The only way to find out about it if you visit this site. There would be heaps of people that would listen to Talking Hoops but just don't know about it. And the thing is how many listeners you get determines how much money you get from adds and sponsors so I they have bugger all listeners they get bugger all money.

Reply #121719 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I just noticed on coastfm.com.au that is says Talking Hoops is suspended. So it might not be totally gone.

Reply #121724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking with Paul Bel he confirmed that it is offuntil they find sponsors.

Reply #121729 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Oh doh, heres hoping they find some sponsors!!

Reply #121735 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

is the figure of $6k a year correct to run it?

if it is that low, maybe we should could start a fighting fund for it,

Reply #121745 | Report this post

I think they need to find more ways to distribute the program. i find it hard to pick up coastfm at home and i live at brompton. maybe doing an mp3 right from the word go. maybe they need other ways of getting the message out say through the clubs.

i have some ideas for the program but getting it out there and consequently the sponsors jumping on board is a different matter. it least i can now hear the program with Jonno doing the mp3s'.

Jonno are there any records of how many times the mp3s are downloaded???? might help with listener numbers. by doing mp3s' that opens up people in the country and interstate even overseas

would be sad to see it go after only just finding out i can download it.

Reply #121758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

couldn't they apply for a grant from the state goverment under local sports of somthing?

Reply #121762 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

heyy, yea umm not sure on the records of numbers of ppl downloading, ill have to check, but it did go over my limit so there must of been a heap of downloads.
Yea maybe doing a mp3 prgoram and just posting it on the net and discuss like they always do, but i guess then that cuts out opportunities for callers, but yea maybe something like 'the bolt'could be done, that way no need for sponsors. I also like thomos idea of us maybe getting together some money and sponsoring the show, would many people be prepared to put some money in?? i would be!! anyway i love the show and hope its able to return in some form in the near future!

Reply #121763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cut out the radio station and broadcast it over the net. Take questions the week before by email. Even do it as a series of email/written interviews - I will always read Jonno's recap but never listen to an MP3 and rarely listen to the show - just prefer to skim the text version.

Reply #121770 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, don't you find listening to the program entertaining? Paul Bell's humour cracks me up every time. I will miss that if the show doesn't come back on. If you lack one and a half hours of time to listen to it, do what I do and that is to walk for the duration of the program. I'm sure you would fit some excercise in your life somewhere. This is a good time to do it. The only problem I found is the poor reception. I am forced to walk in directions that will give me the best coverage. The funny thing is that I discovered the best location for a crystal clear reception about a month ago. That was Ardrossan on the Yorke Peninsula. Just straight across uninterrupted waters.

Reply #121777 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Talking Hoops is clear in Ardrossan? Maybe this place could be the new sponsor:

http://www.ardacad.co.uk/home.html

Reply #121790 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather read the transcript in two minutes than listen to the full show. It is funny and good to hear the interviews, but I am impatient.

Reply #121791 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I got an email yesterday from a friend who is on an exchange to Calgary Canada & he writes: "So as I can hear what is happening in Adelaide I have set up the computer to pick up the radio stations and over here we can listen to Coast FM all day in the house and hear the news on the hour."
So I guess if you can get it in Canada via the computer, I would think you could do the same here?
Nick at the atation last night said they're 'having a break' but it sounds like they will be back.

Reply #121801 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just who will you randomly call on a Tuesday night now Dana...

: )

Reply #121806 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I know....life isn't the same... ;)

Reply #121816 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Wouldn't they be stopping soon anyway as it's nearly the end of the season?

Reply #121900 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Was the end of our season 3 months ago Nick...

Reply #121984 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Obviously Paul Bell is busy doing his 'real job' as player agent, so I guess the radio show needs to take a back seat.

Reply #122044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More to the point, the radio show is taking a back seat until it gets some $ from sponsors.

Reply #122052 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The show continued last year throughout the winter. It talkes about ABA games and gives reports and predictions. Also talked about 36er's players in other states and overseas in the off season.

Reply #122108 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754