Isaac
Years ago

Funny GF Series: Tigers @ Bullets, Game 1

Excellent game last night in Brisbane. A real step up from the regular season to have the two most superior teams giving 100% for 48 minutes.

Bullets came back to win Game 1 98-95 on their home court after Melbourne had led at half-time.

44-31 in the second half from Brisbane wrapped it up.

Rychart took a big knock to the head in the first but somehow was back in the game by the second quarter and soldiered on.

Black led all scorers with 24 while Mackinnon had 18 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists.

Anstey's 21 points topped the Tigers lines while Thomas managed 19 and Tucker had an 18 and 10 double-double.

Game 2 is in Melbourne on Sunday, a sell-out (not hard!) at The Cage.

Topic #10594 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having it at the cage is horrible, i'd bet they would sell 4000-5000 tickets if it was played at the phone box.

Reply #122305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree about playing at Vodafone, but I assume the contract with the Cage was based around playing ALL finals games there too.

Reply #122313 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Rodlaver Arena should be where the Tigers play the Grandfinal.

Don't the Tigers have a 5 year deal with the State Netball & Hockey Centre?

Reply #122315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers will win this series 3-1.

Buttlets luck to get out of it last night.

Melbourne was up for 46 minutes of the game.

Reply #122330 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

You talk about moving it to Vodafone or RLA but the cost of renting those places out means you need to pull 5,000 BEFORE making a profit. And they would probably charge even more for a once off rental.

Whereas at the Cage they are charging a very nice sum for tickets and will sell it out - just over 3,000 and from memory anything over 1,000 is profit!

Tigers cheapest ticket is $32.00 (limited seating approx 100 seats)

$38.00 approx 500 seats

$47 - majority of stadium

$77 - front 2 rows

$110 - Gaze lounge

I'm sure they are quite happy playing there ;-)

Reply #122362 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Listen for John Casey tonight,count how many times he says;
"In game 1, 48 hours ago"

He drove me nuts the amount of times he said it during the semi's!

Reply #122364 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Rod Laver is a swimming pool. From what I've heard the owner is a bit of a tightwad.

Reply #122365 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DJ they are not doing the fans justice by not having enough room to cater for everyone that wants to go. Brisbane moved venues to cater for more people, the Tigers should as well.

Reply #122373 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Let's not be fooled here EC - Brisbane moved to make more $$ not to make some 'extra - finals only fans happy'.

I agree the bigger the venue the better, but if it means any club would be sacrificing $$ than really there is no point.

And the Tigers have clearly shown in the past and present that they are only about servicing the 2,000 regular and 1,000 casual fans and nothing more.

Should be noted they are actually considering moving the 'Derby' next season as they believe with the right marketing (see Dragons) that they could sell 10,000 tickets for that game.

Reply #122375 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

EC that's all well and good but offer an alternative.

NBL rules clearly stipulate that the Tigers can not play at Vodafone Arena as it is the home of the Dragons. The NBL does not allow two NBL teams to share a venue.

Rod Laver Arena (as has already been posted) is currently a swimming pool in preperation for the Swimming World Championships.

So what would you suggest?

Adelaide fans such as yourself do not understand the luxury that we have here in Adelaide due to the ownership arrangements of the Dome. Even now the 36ers (and Lightning) get to have every training session on the same court as their home games, something I believe no other NBL team does.

I realise living in Adelaide this issue is difficult to understand but for business reasons there simply isn't another alternative for the Tigers home finals; as disappointing as that is.

Reply #122376 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Added to that would you be happy if the Sixers were to move a GF game to say the Entertainment centre, giving up the venue that they are so familiar with?

It's all very good to say sure more people more people, but there would be a fair few people that would have something to say about it.

Reply #122378 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DJ regardless of what the Tiger's servicing intention is they are only half of the championship competition. There are fans of the opposition that have every right to see the game in Melbourne to watch their own team. I stand by my belief that they act selfishly. If Melbourne are happy with the money they make servicing this many people, then its Melbourne that are guilty of being interested in making money only. Atleast Brisbane spent some money chartering a flight to fly 50 fans to Melbourne free of charge to support the Bullets. There is always additional demand for finals tickets and that is also because the opposition team's fans are interested in travelling for those games. I am in Brisbane at the moment and attended last Friday's game. I can tell you that the level of entertainment and the show they put up for their fans is the best I have seen anywhere in Australia, or New Zealand for that matter. The Bullets are interested in their fans and give something back to them for showing their support. They want as many people as possible to show their support.

Reply #122518 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Clark Kent, don't give me "living in Adelaide" blindness to what happens elsewhere. I challenge anyone on this forum who attends more games interstate than I do. The only venues I haven't attended are Townsville and West Sydney. I have seen it nearly everywhere.

Reply #122520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, how was the skipping at half-time of Game 1? I hope that wasn't the primary entertainment for a Grand Final series half-time!

Reply #122521 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

EC,

Your missing my point.

In relation to the Tigers offer an alternative venue before blindly having a go at one of the best run and most supportive owners in the league.

Reply #122526 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The skippers were very highly skilled, nothing like the skipping I did as a kid. It involved somersaults and cartwheels at the same time as getting over the rope. When you combine it with 10 or so skippers, it becomes an artistic routine which is most entertaining to watch. The crowd cheered furiously, so I assume they enjoyed it as much as I did. On top of that they had the Scream Team. While they would get a bit monotonous watching them every game, when you see them occassionaly, you would have to agree that they add some entertainment value. A bit better than watching people shooting for prizes or making sandwiches.

Reply #122595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754