Isaac
Years ago

Breakers release Pepper, Dorge

The New Zealand Breakers are releasing Ben Pepper after three years with the club, retaining his back-up Tim Behrendorff. Coach Andrej Lemanis believes the move will usher in a new style of play:

"The top-ranking Brisbane Bullets only had one genuine big man," he said.

"Other play-off teams, like the Sydney Kings and the South Dragons, didn't suffer from a lack of truly tall timber because they used speed to unlock defences and create intense pressure when the opposition had the ball.

"We will be looking to change our style of play a little bit and go slightly smaller, but a whole heap quicker."
Looks like back-up point Adam Darragh is to be released while the Breakers negotiate with captain Paul Henare.

In addition, it seems that assistant John Dorge will be moving on and the Breakers will have an opening to replace him. Dorge coaches the Harbour Heat in the NZ NBL.

» Full story: Breakers pace change will reshuffle roster

Topic #10642 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Sixers anyone??
He has had a good last two years..
16 points @ 60%, 8 rebs and 1 blk per game this year..
We need size, what would he rate in points?

Reply #122903 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Pepper would be a great addition to the squad...plus first training with Davidson would be very interesting to watch.

Frees the sixers to getting quality 4 spot and rotate coop through the middle

Reply #122905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be rated about a nine. Dragons seem to be chasing him.

Reply #122907 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

If I was Rick I'd be putting in my application for the Breakers assistant role.

Reply #122911 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Jump on Pepper (he is like a more skilled Big Sexy),

Cooper, Pepper and Ballinger would be a great big man roataion.

Reply #122914 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Would be a good pickup, but would have to question his heart. Had some shockers for the Breakers in key games.

Reply #122917 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

You've got to be joking grabbing Pepper, he is as dumb as dog s##t! Cant play defence, had no idea of defence rotation. If we obtain him and Ballinger - we will be destroyed in the paint defensively. I say NO to Pepper.

Reply #122918 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Would be a good pickup for the sixers. DrB - don`t confuse looking like a dumb s##t with actually being one... cause he`s got a better head on his shoulders than probably 8/10 of the guys running around in the NBL right now... It would alleviate our size issues in one fell swoop - somehow though i can`t see us nabbing him tho... A genuine Aussie big man that can play - not many of those around anymore...

Reply #122920 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I've always thought as pepper as an underrated player and he would be very useful in a sixers jersey. Personally i would love to see it happen

Reply #122921 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Interesting comments by Lemanis about the changing nature of the game. But I think he is totally wrong.

He mentioned Brisbane as his ideal team, with only one big man. But that is fine if you can put together a team full of 10 players who are all stars. But Brisbane's lack of height is their only achilles heel, and it has shown in the games against Melbourne.

I think the Bullets are more talented than the Tiges player for player, but Melbourne are just bigger, at every position. Height counts in basketball. Anstey has been walking all over Rychart.

I understand that a slow big man brigade can be a negative in defence rather than a positive, but look at Perth to see how it can work very very well.

Reply #122941 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

How many clubs has Pepper played at? I think that answers all the questions. He is not worth getting, he is a very dumb basketballer!

Reply #122946 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

I can confirm from very good source, ie former coach, he is dumb! Its just not his looks!

Reply #122948 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So if the coach is looking to model his team on Brisbane I guess we can expect NZ to be way over the cap next season!

Reply #122956 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Clicking through to the link and cruising around the other basketball stories, I found that there's a team in the NZBL with one of the better nicknames I've seen for a while, the Taranaki Mountain Airs.

Further Googling in a desperate bid to find a player in the world - anywhere - with the last name Salt, for an oh-so hilarious post about the Sixers possibly recruiting both Salt and Pepper, revealed a league I - and probably Tim Hardaway - had never heard of as well.

Anyone else got an obscure league or weird team nickname?

Reply #122959 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i always thought the Oregon Ducks was weird, i mean a duck as a logo? not exactly a fierce animal or characteristics that you would like to see in a sports environment.

Reply #122961 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

The Terrapins
The Knickerbockers

Reply #122969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are a bucketload of bizarro team names in US colleges.

Reply #122976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers will probably look to sign Dorge.. he is the older one out of the two

Reply #123134 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah, heaps of wierd college names:

Connecticut College Camels
Purdue University Boilermakers

Listed here:
http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

What about the Denver Nuggets? That's a rediculous name. Imagine telling people that don't follow bball: "Yeah, I'm a nugget"

Reply #123194 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I quite liked the Western Illinois University 'Leathernecks'.

I searched for 'Rednecks' but came up short. That's my life story.

Reply #123209 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Pepper was a 10 this year but 9 to NZ as he was in a second year deal.

That is why Maher can't leave,he's a 5 to Adelaide and a 10 to another club if he leaves.

Reply #123235 | Report this post

Reign  
Years ago

Sixers getting Pepper is almost as good as saying Sixers should get Humphrey Bear to come and play for them.

I think the sixers are looking for alot more talent, not being nasty he does have abit of game but really come on is he good enough for the rebuilding sixers ?

I think not

Reply #124150 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754