Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Is basketball only interesting in last 2 mins?

It's Friday, and time for a discussion if others are up for it: one of the knocks on basketball is that it's supposedly only interesting in the last 2 minutes of a game (assuming the game is close).

The argument, I'm guessing, that supports this theory goes along the lines of: basketball is so up-and-down the floor, and the scoring so frequent and regular, that nothing of consequence occurs until late in the game.

Does this argument have some validity? Could we even be talking about a paradox: are the last 2 minutes, while supposedly the most interesting, also the dullest due to the stop-start nature (ie timeouts, deliberate fouling, lots of foul shots, etc)? How can this stop-start stuff be eradicated/improved?

Discuss, in 25 personal insults or less.

Topic #10663 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Whoever says that doesnt understand the game!

Reply #123364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brisbane v Melbourne has shown that to be untrue, Bo, IMO - the lead has swung dramatically during the game and the full games in each case have been very interesting to watch.

I think it's just a knee-jerk whinge from people who don't follow or understand the sport.

Reply #123365 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Its the same old argument. If you are not a fan of the game, then it might be the case you find it boring til the last 2 mins.

It's like people who don't understand the game of soccer think a 1-1 draw is boring. To a fan it may be an inthralling game.

If its a sport you don't understand, you probaly will look for the only excitement you do understand, which is a close game.

Reply #123367 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Basketball to people who love basketball (like me) think the whole thing is interesting but one does watch the 1st qtr a lot differently than the 4th. If you are down 6 - 8 in the 1st you don't care coz you know you can get that back - but with time running out in the 4th every possession counts.

People who like basketball (like me)love to watch the whole game evolve and fold out ... if you watch as many games as I'm sure we all have we can see the subtle nuances and moves that could change a game.

People who only like the last 2 minutes probably like 20/20 Cricket over a test - 20/20 is fun - bash and crash but it is not what the game is abouut. Test cricket can probably be even more engaging and enthralling it just takes a longer time to play out.

Tell ya a way to make basketball fun for the whole game - you and a mate pick 3 guys each - make a $20 bet and whose ever 3 collective guys score more you win. Tell ya I have never been riding 1st qtr jumpers from Smush Parker harder in my life.

Reply #123368 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

SVD great last paragraph.

Bo has some valid points that have also been identified by the world body. Hence rule changes over the past few years, like stopping the clock on baskets in the last 2 minutes. Position of the ball at half way after an offensive timeout in the back court.

Yes, we the lovers of the game might enjoy everything including the warm-up, however our audience is wider than that.

Reply #123384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount of timeouts in the last 2 mins. of an NBA game are ridiculous.

Reply #123388 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I watched some Razorbacks games this season and was pretty bored. But on the whole i think the product is pretty good.
Aussie athletes are much better than they ever have been and most teams try and play an entertaining style (except Kings) .

Reply #123404 | Report this post

The me gen.  
Years ago

I think the "last 2 mins is best" mainly comes from supporters of AFL who have little or no idea about our game. They quite often refer to Bball as being an up & down game (what that makes AFL then, I dont know?)

(#123368) SVD is on track regarding his comments about the 1st quarters. This way of thinking can be transfered to most other codes, except (IMO) soccer.

Reply #123430 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Last two minutes is when the girls are at their sweatiest...

Reply #123438 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

The me gen.... Soccer supporters will often say that as well. Soccer has got to be the most boring game ever though.

Reply #123440 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

At last a post i can comment on as an expert.

As a late adopter of basketball I can say i often used the comment, "only interesting in the last 2 minutes". However, since taking the time to discover and to some degree understand the wonderful game of BBall that has changed.

Of course its not true, the continual challenges, competition and ebb and flow make for an exciting ongoing game that interests and entertains for the whole time.

BUT, to those who immediately say dont be stupid of course not, I suggest you reflect on your opinion of ..say..a five day test, this can be considered a somewhat similar situation, until someone understands the pressures and intricacy of the game they will never appreciate it.

And therein lies the issue at the heart of the future of the NBL, to continue to grow crowds, people must be drawn in, they must be given the chance to learn and appreciate..so...getting kids early is important, making it easy for parents to see the game with the kids..making it cheap enough to take the family to.

I am the father of a child who will not play or watch sport...except basket ball...because she was given the chance to appreciate it.

promotion and price is the answer

Reply #123455 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I was in Brisbane this week and I noticed an ad on TV where Broncos fans could buy a season ticket for 13 home games for $165 (or so).

THAT is great value. NBL is over priced.

On the subject of the last 2 mins - NBA with their 80 game seasons sees a lot of games go through the motions until crunch time. IMHO - the bulk of it isn't much of a spectacle.

Reply #123458 | Report this post

the me gen  
Years ago

(#123440)AK-47, cant wrong you on that one. I used to go every week, but it just lost its appeal and Bball won out.

Reply #123469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find NBA games to be a bit like that..but think thats due to the coverage more so. Hate all the repeated ESPN adds etc. But I could watch any NBL game, and like all sport, seeing one team dominate only to have the other make a comeback is great viewing. Better than a close one all the way ended with a buzzer beater IMO.

Reply #123481 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

"NBA with their 80 game seasons sees a lot of games go through the motions until crunch time"

In fact, going by the attitudes of a number of teams (I'm looking at you, Miami), they seem to treat the entire season that way. Start well with good enthusiasm, waddle through the mid-season whilst keeping yourself in play-off contention, then once the post-season kicks in, pull your finger out.

Reply #123485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754