no longer 1965
Years ago

? country zones

how much longer are we going to consider willunga and Mt barker "country" - they are part of the urban sprawl nowdays

Topic #10689 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

I live near the Mitcham shopping centre - it is quicker to get to my brother's house at Mt Barker than my Mum's house at Broadview especially in peak hour - so I hear what your saying!

Reply #123684 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I don't really consider Mt.Barker as country. I also live near Mitcham Square and go sometimes.

Reply #123691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is ridiculous is that Mavericks are in the district comp and therefore all clubs have to play there. I can't think of another competition anywhere that has anything like this crazy arrangement of a country club partaking in a city comp.
Consequently, Mt Barker continues to enjoy the benefits of both country and metro status because of leadership dimensia.
Maybe Southern, Bearcats and Centrals should be deemed country under the present system.

Reply #123718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not feeling the love for Mav's this week.

Reply #123721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern do have some country players from willunga and Victor. Whats your point?

Reply #123722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do south so whats your point?

Reply #123724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mavs are hardly setting the local comp on fire.

Let them eat cake!

Reply #123740 | Report this post

Minn  
Years ago

How about Victoria?

Teams can be in the same comp despite being on opposite sides of the state.

Reply #123742 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Yea those bearcats down at port adelaide are so far out of the way, and when ever I have to play there I get lost on those long, winding backroads through the bush to get out to the little town that is adelaide's western suburbs.....

Reply #123744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make your minds up. Someone complains because it is too close to be called country and then the next complain about having to drive there for District comps???

Qualifying for Country teams is based on where you live not which club you play for. There are a lot of "Country" players from other district clubs.
A few of the old district clubs are quite happy to lure players from Mavs by offering them very very cheap subs, by claiming they are from country areas.

Reply #123762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe the original poster was trying to say that they should not be considered a country club - they should be considered a city club because they are only 20 mins from the toll gate - and other outer clubs can take just as long to get to the actual city of Adelaide. - Would it be wrong for them to be considered a metropolitan club?

Reply #123789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are are metro club only when it suits them.

Reply #123803 | Report this post

The me gen  
Years ago

Mt Barker can well and truly be seen as outer metro now days, surley.

If we are to continue calling the Mavs a "country club" then BSA better change the status of the Lions. Living on the western side of town it takes me an extra 20 mins to travel to starplex than it does to Mt Barker.

Time for a change me thinks.

Reply #123847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you lived at Starplex - you'd be classified Metro, same as Morphett Vale. If you live at Mavs Stadium (whatever it's called) you'd be classified Country. Hence the stigma.

Reply #123849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agrees, Mt barker needs re-zoned metro as its farsical to be considered country.

Reply #123856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be time to introduce two more clubs to the district comp?

One out north (gawler, barossa valley) and one out Victor way to cater for country kids playing in the district comp. Combine this with the Mavs an we would have all corners of the state covered. SA country seems like a pretty switched on organisation. This would be an easy way for country kids to get a district game and have training venues that they might actually be able to get too mid week.

Only trouble is that a couple of teams would have to make way for them.

Is it worth a thought? Has this idea been brought up before?

Reply #123891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never work, Sturt would lose three quarters of its teams!

Reply #123895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes its a good idea but saying SAC is switched on lost me.

Reply #123898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123898) - elaborate.

Reply #123899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123895)So true So true this is what is so frustrating to the "true" home grown kids that they get put aside for the Country kids. Could anyone tell me (I'm sure they can) if you live in the outer suburbs (close to Willunga) can you go and play in the country comp??

Reply #123911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123891), you would then have a weaker competition and a selection of the Mavs and Centrals teams would get thrashed by even more each week.

But, in twenty years, you would be looking at Victor and Murray Bridge being classified as metro because of the growth. They would be suburbs of Adelaide.

Reply #123912 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

I thought country/metro classifications were decided on how many sheep live in the area?

Reply #123913 | Report this post

Couldn't resist  
Years ago

Is that why New Zealand is classed as a country.........

Reply #123914 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

#123911, district would not be as strong without country kids.
The district comp is the elite level for yougnsters in our state, and by telling country kids to play at home does not give them ample opportunity to become better sportsmen or women.

It's the same as saying kids from different religions (born or not born here) in Australia shouldn't play, because they are not 'home grown'

123911, obviously you or you children did not make the grade they wanted...

Reply #123917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true this is what is so frustrating to the "true" home grown kids that they get put aside for the Country kids

Or frustrating for you as a parent anonymous that your child isn't good enough.

Reply #123924 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

(#123718)
in football(soccer) at federation level junior teams travel to pt pirie to play but that is u15's and above and including senior teams, from what i have been told no one seems to mind as they see this as normal.maybe it is small minded people like u that don't allow the sport to grow in this state. i for one have no problem traveling for games even if they decided to play games at victor, murray bridge or even out north to pt pirrie but we couldn't do it on a friday night saturday would be better i feel.

Reply #123930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This forum has had several previous lifes - so let's come clean. Exactly why should country basketballers be denied the opportunity to play basketball at the highest level available in this state? And please - no, 'cause they get picked over my little Johnnie or Sally'. Make it a valid argument for the good of basketball, not whingey parents upset because their kid is not living their dream.

Reply #123931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because the metro players commit to the teams and attend all trainings, then the country players (who dont' train) come in and take their court time.

Reply #123939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But they do train, and they train very hard by themselves and in their ITC squads. Plus they travel hours by car, even by plane to games and trainings when they can. They commit to the team just as much (in some cases even more) than the metro kids!

Reply #123941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear the violins playing away. Get over it travel so far, its your choice so stop whining about it.

Reply #123944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#939. The word "their" is interesting - they "take their court time" - you earn court time, you don't own it. Basketballers at district level are generally all committed to their sport and distance should not be the factor which denies a good player the chance to play at the highest level possible in their age group. You can be fairly certain that a country kid is training at basketball during the week - they will probably be at their local ITC training one night a week, they will also be expected to play for their local comp, most will jog several km's a week and then travel to be a part of their district competition. There commitment is real. So....Make it a valid argument for the good of basketball, not whingey parents upset because their kid is not living their (parent's) dream.

Reply #123946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123917)Still the old "us against them"

There are any number of posters on this site (and this thread) having a go at "metro" people for dearing to mention that some country kids get preference over city kids.

The fact is some country kids do get a good ride in at least 2 major clubs in Adelaide.

No question that some of the kids have heaps of talent & potential and would make it in their own right in district; however some of the country kids are getting a walk up start at some clubs;yeah i can hear the indignant howls of protest already.

Why is this happening? Coaches owe country kids nothing. They can take them in, use them up, and turn their backs on them with out having to bump into them around the club all the time. When you have a country coach at a district club, the situation gets even worse. Two kids, same potential, same skill level... yet the country kid gets the nod; why? Self interest. The kid is in the SA country squad, so of course they will get the nod over the city kid.

Sour grapes? Yeah, you can say that. Its time for a change in how the comp is run. With country / metro kids, their has to be a better way than is happening at the moment.

P.S. my child is still in the mix for a state squad place for their age group so please, no "your kid isnt as good as their kid" crap. The summer season just gone put that one to rest, big time.

Reply #123949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word "their" is interesting - they "take their court time" - you earn court time, you don't own it.

- It wasn't a mistake. Don't you earn it by committing to Sunday and mid-week trainings?

Reply #123953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123917)you missed my point neptune boy. Lets have 3 clubs in the district comp that cater for Country kids only, North, East and south. (and I dont mean sturt & f/ville)

Two clubs to move on out of the comp (I think its on the cards anyway)and bring in two new ones so that all three country zones are covered. Why wont it work?

Reply #123954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who would run these teams, where would they be based, is there enough country talent in these areas to support the teams?

Say a player in unhappy with the south (country) coach, can they move to central? If not, we're losing players, if so, wer're back at the status quo.

Lots of holes.

Reply #123956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, a lot of holes. I would expect that SA country would be a logical choice to run a club like that.

A current team will fold within the next two years, unless they merge with another club (and I cant see that happening)

I think the idea has some merits, but I dont have all the answers. If I did, Id be running the show I guess. Just a thought.

Reply #123965 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

(#123954), do you mean play the SA Country squads that go to nationals in div one juniors against the norm district teams? District teams would get drilled!

(#123914) Good one Couldn't Resist! But New Zealand is classified an island because the sheep cant run anywhere. If they could, it'd be called a country, cos they'd be able to travel and be then classed as metro...
(Think about it!)

Reply #123982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There a a few reasons country player numbers should be restricted to perhaps no more than two per club.
For a start you would be developing metro kids that miss out when super clubs like sturt try to stitch up junior premierships by having up to 5 or 6 country kids in a team. Under present rules that means 5 or 6 metro kids lanquish in div 2 and don't receive the development that clubs like sturt brag about. They counter with statements their squads train together and they rotate a lot in summer but in general the bottom line is while we have one Div 1 team per club metro kids will suffer and remain under developed.
Forestville have two state country coaches and this in itself creates perceptions about selections when similar ability kids might be overlooked in favour of country recruits who may be being groomed for country state.
Country kids have distinct advantages in accessing trips with two teams selected to tour for Albury in all age groups , country cup carnivals etc and country designated areas that are country in name only. The much vaunted crap about travel is only true for the dedicated few that travel vast distances not the Mt barker and the like group that enjoy the best of both worlds.
Im a strong advocate of zoning country areas so that country players are more fairly allocated. Critics of this, cite 'wanting to play together', 'car pooling' etc as reasons against it. In reality sturt would kick up the most because it has a network of teachers and boarding schools providing an effective recruiting base plus sundry close association with country clubs.
So its not country players who are the problem but the number of country players and the failure of BSA to nominate areas for clubs to develop and interact with. In a climate of poaching, some rules would help clarify the situation.

Reply #124000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soory , should read two per team.

Reply #124007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In reality sturt would kick up the most because it has a network of teachers and boarding schools providing an effective recruiting base plus sundry close association with country clubs."

So Sturt should cease all contacts with the outside world. Any club could gain the contacts that Sturt has obtained. You need to get out there though and make them.

No more making contacts and no more networking sturt...... bad sturt bad sturt

Give me a break

Reply #124025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as I know Eastern are not a club for country kids only, but metro kids can play there. They are a district club after all. If you are unhappy with your clubs decision regarding placement of country players, stop whining about it, you have the option to move elsewhere.

Reply #124038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for SA Country & SA Metro coaches to "extract" themselves out of the district comp.

Reply #124067 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

isn't it funny the first post was about how adelaid as a city is growing and it turned into a sturt bashing. i for one hate losing to sturt, but i also have to work harder with my team and myself as a coach to compete with them. so they help everyone improve is that bad?

how many people are just jelouse at the way they have an abundace of talent, if given half a chance i would take a sturt junior on to my team any time.
with the contacts they have that feed into their club you can't tell me every other club is not spewin they didn't do it first.
ask yourself this if they bring players into their club and they take some one else's place why doesn't that kid leave the club and play div1 else where.....because they know they will be a better player staying! all you have to do is have a quality devolopment program and the kids will come and play to improve!!!

Reply #124213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here here, lets turn all post's into a Sturt bashing I'll be in that. They deserve that!

Reply #124218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any one who thinks they will become a better player , playing div 2 in any club has fallen victim to the spiel that club offers parents as a sop.
You get better playing at the highest level, not just practising with them.
I support the stronger clubs having two div 1 teams but few clubs will support it as the lower ranked clubs would be losing to the top clubs second teams.
Allowing 5 or 6 country players in one team is not helping develop metro kids and until changes are made , I will continue to oppose more than 2 country kids per team and advocate both metro and country zoning.
Super clubs kill competition and BSA and BA are in a unique position at the genesis of their tenure to institute changes that could benefit basketball but we won't get them because of vested interests.

Reply #124292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#124292)Thank you. The old "playing div 2 here is better for your development than going to team X and playing div 1" has been used by coaches at the 2 big clubs for a few years now. This is insurance against you moving & the country kid's parents getting sick of the travel.

Play the highest level you can against the best quality opposition you can.

It tok my family, sadly, a season and a half to work that one out. We will be moving next year.

Reply #124334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance!

Your whingy attitude will really be missed by whichever club you are leaving.

Reply #124347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh words on a person's decision which suggests theres more than smoke in the posts above.

Reply #124461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whingy parents stick around nd complain. These guys are acting so more power to them.

Reply #124462 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

(#124334) - You are a brave person - I would like you to revisit this post when you have settled at your new Club and update as to how things are better for your kids.

The answer I would like from
you is to this question - Did they get the Div 1 opportunity?

A friend of mine took her lad out of a Big 4 club and moved to another Big 4 club because of her perception of missed opportunities and bigger kids and country kids always getting the breaks - but in talking with her now - her son has not progressed at the new Club and she agrees wholeheartedley that basically all Clubs are the same having a preference for "Large and country"

Reply #124474 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

so if country kids are so good why does metro usally finish higher at nationals

Reply #124492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booga,

One of your better posts! I'm interested to know why people think that happens.

Reply #124497 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Why should Sturt care if a kid plays SA Country or Metro. You would think the most important thing for Sturt is when they are playing for Sturt.

Are some of you suggesting that Sturt should tell these kids to nick off once they win the under 14 championship's this year and go play for another club or div 2 because they could make the SA Country team and that would be so bad for Sturt>?

Let the clubs pick the best TEAMS they can, without the whinging of who is the better player etc. Best TEAM not best team of PLAYERS.

Reply #124500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whingy parents stick around nd complain. These guys are acting so more power to them. "

They are sticking around and complaining!! If they had any guts, they'd leave now. There's nothing stopping them, it's not too late to join another club for this season. Oh wait, they may not get their precious div 1 oppurtunity straight away....

Not harsh words at all. I don't think anyone wants anonymous whingers at their club - no matter where they are on the "totem pole".

Good riddance.

Reply #124525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booga, Booga , Booga because they are given more opportunities and travel enormous distances like from Mt Barker and like environments which is so taxing!
#525, Aren't you whinging now?
#474, How was it going to help moving from a big four club to another a big four club?
Kids need to go to lower ranked clubs and play against the so called big four, thats competition.

Reply #124567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booga, in some cases the country kids have inferior coaches to metro and in some cases country coaches have followed kids thru the age levels.
Take a look at country results over the past and you will see excellent country girls teams' let down badly by the coaching staff, the results speak for themselves but the same coaches who underachieve are just moved side ways , downways and up etc and new blood is never encouraged.

Reply #124568 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

anon that's a harsh comment to make hiding behind an anon state your name to give it more credabilty

Reply #125247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#124567) - More explanation needed I am not sure what point you are trying to make or answer!

"because they are given more opportunities and travel enormous distances like from Mt Barker and like environments which is so taxing!"

How does travelling from Mt Baker relate to metro kids - if you are answering Booga's Question:

"so if country kids are so good why does metro usally finish higher at nationals"

Please explain!

Reply #125249 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754