Anonymous
Years ago

Murray Bridge take the double

Murray Bridge have just won the u14 Boys and Girls div 1 comp's at the SA Country Junior Champs.

Well done to both all teams that competed in the carnival.

Topic #10701 | Report this topic

Pub Counter Moves  
Years ago

Will these teams be playing at State Champs with most of their players playing for district clubs. What will happen there.

Reply #123779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Bullets. Proves that hard work and playing together pays off.

Heard a rumor that an U14 coach from one of the top 4 district clubs was trying to do a bit of scouting and was asked to leave the stadium.

Reply #123784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And congratulations GREAT SOUTHERN U12 boys winning Div 1, doubling Pt Pirie score in final. A great game to watch and lots of future talent on show.

Reply #123786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Heard a rumor that an U14 coach from one of the top 4 district clubs was trying to do a bit of scouting and was asked to leave the stadium. "

isnt that a complement being invited for a try out?

how can they be evicted?

Isnt that one of the attractions of teh country champs in the city ? to get scouted?

if this coach was evicted - there is more to the story

Reply #123788 | Report this post

On that last post - is it classified as poaching? If they are playing for a country team such as Murray Bridge or Millicent and someone of a district club approaches them to play, i cant see an issue with that.
Would be no different to going to local social teams and asking in my perspective.
Anyone able to clarify this for me or tell me what they think?
Seems to me to be more of a feather in the cap then anyhting else - generally speaking you are still able to play for your country team if your playing for a district club.

Reply #123792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is conceivible that a kid playing for their country association may be 'accidentally" approached - if the scouter is not aware of their current metro club status

Reply #123793 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perhaps they should just stick to the kids at their own Clubs and develop them. Clubs talk about showing loyalty - how about showing loyalty in return!

Reply #123831 | Report this post

The me gen  
Years ago

I saw the person in question leaving the stadium, but I thought it was of his own accord. Im suprised he would have been asked to leave.Given the amount of country kids at this club already, it hardly suprising they are trying to recruit more.

Blah, blah, blah about this club and how good they are at develpoing juniors; however they have the runs on the board with the country contingent.

Good luck to them.

Reply #123844 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

"Heard a rumor that an U14 coach from one of the top 4 district clubs was trying to do a bit of scouting and was asked to leave the stadium"

I was there. Wonder which coach it was that got evicted. Was it girls or boys

Reply #123864 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

If it was me that got evicted I cant remember anyone talking to me about leaving the stadium.

Reply #123868 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Good onya Murray Bridge!
Congrats to all other teams that also did well!

Reply #123903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON,
Couldn't have said it any better, as a parent i am teaching my children to be loyal to their club and stick it out through good and bad, it's about time the clubs did the same and started looking in their own backyards first.

Reply #123936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#123936)The cold harsh reality these days is that clubs only show loyalty if you are really, REALLY, good. If you are not chock full of talent then be prepared for your club to turn its back on you at some point.

The reality is that if you have a kid with average talent that could be developed given a bit of extra training,be prepared to be over looked for the next "big thing" that walks into your club.

These "next big things" are normally from out of town and contribute nothing to clubs except game time, literally.When they have gotten what they need, they do move on.

Yes Im bitter, but please; loyalty to needs to be earned by all, not given freely.

Reply #124086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh, you're right. The first 10 kids that roll up to the 1st U10 training should be rewarded with div 1 for life. NO competition for spots.
Being "overlooked" is code for "there were players better than my son/daughter"...

Reply #124092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#124092)The Country/ metro thing is a bit more involved than that.... take a look at some sturt & f/ville div 2 kids currently playing 2nd fiddle to div1 country kids & then tell me they have not got the same talent; that is unless you are from one of those clubs, then you will strongly disagree.

Your response is code for "I walked in and my son/ daughter dont train, dont contribute anything to the club, but hey, we still get a game coz they are soooooooooooooooo good"

Reply #124322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm certainly not country, and I have NO specific knowledge of the situation, but I know this: coaches wouldn't have better players in div 2 that make every training than those in div 1 who don't. Quite simple logic really.

If they are soooooooooooooo good, as you've suggested, I guess you've answered your own question. Or if your child has the same "it's not fair" attitude as yourself, I can still see why they're not in div 1.

Reply #124341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#124341)You say you have no specific knowlege of the situation, sure sounds like it. You are either pro country or not.

I dont expect my son to hold his position in the team when someone better comes along, however, some one BETTER has to come along. There are now 4 country kids in the program (3 in div1)with all metro parents assuming the 4th kid will get the nod for next season. The team has gone from a close group of kids who have played well for 2 seasons and while playing in GF's have not won one, to a fractured group that has a 3rd of the team not at training at all & missed the GF altogether last season.

Training IS an issue with country kids. I dont care how many extra sessions they do at home with state coaches or who ever; if you dont train with your team, how can the team improve

You say you have no specific knowlege of the situation, sure sounds like it.

Reply #124426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scouting for Kids is always going to happen.

I say good Luck! To Coaches

But How would a couch feel if a Parent came up from the country, and Asked ' I think My Kids pretty GOOD to be in your team'

What would happen ....

Reply #124478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the way Yes,

WELL DONE to Murray Bridge.

Reply #124480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha you'd get No answer from a COUCH!!! Ohh Dear...

Reply #124481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No probs scouting for the best kids, but there has to be a limit on the number of country kids per team. Some clubs (think the 2 big ones)are going overboard with there country contingent.

Maybe you could have as many as you want; however only a maximum of 2 that are in any current SA country squad.

Reply #124526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have absolutely no idea what team you are talking about - I'm assuming it's a Sturt or Forestville team, but other than that, I have no specifics.

"You are either pro country or not."

This is laughable. I have no bias one way or the other. Perhaps this "fractured" team is from YOU and the other Metro parents continual whining about the country players, which then rubs off on your children - esp. the ones who aren't GOOD enough to hold their spots.

As for training, I may agree with you - but I'm not the person who matters. It's the coach. And if you're not happy with that decision, you could either approach the coaching director, or pack up and leave. Instead of anonymous sniping.

Reply #124532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Instead of anonymous sniping." Sorry, what name did you post under?

Reply #124576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#123936)The cold harsh reality these days is that clubs only show loyalty if you are really, REALLY, good. If you are not chock full of talent then be prepared for your club to turn its back on you at some point.

The reality is that if you have a kid with average talent that could be developed given a bit of extra training,be prepared to be over looked for the next "big thing" that walks into your club.

EXACTLY - well said

Reply #124580 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Shouldn't we all be working together to make basketball better in South Australia as a whole.

And not sniping at where kids come from and what division they play. If a player is good enough to play div 1, let them play!

I know there are issues with country coaches coaching metro teams and turning them into the 'SA Country allstars' rather than the district club the are supposed to be.

These sort of threads create ideas that country kids are not wanted in metropolitan basketball. I say let them play. Actually, i say let everybody play. A high percentage of our talent comes from rural areas.

This day and age, it's great if any kid gets of their arse and does some physical activity!

Reply #124603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And not sniping at where kids come from and what division they play. If a player is good enough to play div 1, let them play!"

BUT what if there are 16 kids good enough to play Div 1 at a Club in an age group what then.

Let them play too!!!!!!

It certainly would stop a lot of the whinging on here about country kids and large kids from other clubs.

Let them have 2 Div 1 teams - I have heard that before somewhere - oh on here!- how many times....hundreds.....how about it BSA?

Reply #124693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheers thats what I like to hear, the last 2 replys are what we should be doing!

We who bitch and carry on should just be thankful that your kids are out there playing a great Sport!

Its for the KIDS!!!

Reply #124696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754