Cameron crazy
Years ago

Ryan Kersten

Ryan Kersten

With Ryan Kersten deciding to play ABA this season for North Adelaide how does that interfere with his NCAA eligibility?

I was always under the impression that any player who played in a team that paid player automatically lost NCAA eligibility. If that is the case has he chosen not to return for his junior year New Mexico?

Are the Adelaide 36ers interested in signing him as a future guard and have they shown any interest.

Is he likely to play in the NBL next season?

Anyone heard anything?

Topic #10737 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. I thought playing in the same team as Dusty would make him ineligable. What are the rules here?

Reply #124295 | Report this post

Tamlas  
Years ago

From what I heard New Mexico did not require his services any longer. Pity he had game. well still does, just not a that level. Lets hope the 36ers at least talk to him.

Reply #124297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can play in our league ok. SEABL is another matter. Most NCC coaches don't want there kids playing is the problem. Thats from talking to some of the players. Don't for sure if this is right.

Reply #124298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what i have heard is that he has chosen not to return

Reply #124303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they can sitll play abl but they just do not get paid as that makes them inelligible for college.

Reply #124308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also it depends on whether their team mates are getting paid. Clubs get around this though by paying players to work in junior programs, stadium managers or as event managers etc.

Reply #124310 | Report this post

Why  
Years ago

Ryan has chosen not to return to college and so will play in the nbl more than likely with the Gong or maybe New Zealand or maybe gold coast.

He does not want to play for Adelaide

Reply #124321 | Report this post

Ryan's Friend  
Years ago

Ryan is coming home for personal reasons, much to the disappointment of the New Mexico Lobos but to the absolute enjoyment of the North Adelaide Rockets.
He is wanting to start his NBL career and has chosen to do that playing with his mates and for a coach who he has known a long time and with NBL contacts.
He does want to play in Adelaide but Phil Smyth has said that he doesnt think Ryan has the talent to be in his program. So Ryan will look else where and at all options after the ABL season.
Keep an eye out for him cos he will have an impact like Ingles had this year in the league once he makes it!

Reply #124329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure whether he wants to play for the Sixers or not.. but I do know they Sixers will not consider him coz he's not old enough!

Reply #124330 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I guess the reasoning is that the Sixers just signed a PG and already run Maher and Sutton through that position. Although I would ditch Sutton and give Kersten a definite chance.

Reply #124339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard sixers. Ditch the good talent and keep the crap.

Reply #124355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think Phil Smyth has the talent to be in our 6ers program.

Reply #124357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can offer Kersten a spot in the 13.

Rookie of the Year - Ryan Kerten (Hawks)

Reply #124359 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

Now that Stacker didnt get the job in Wollongong dont think he will land there but he will land somewhere and i agree will be rookie of the year! Cant wait to see him play for North.

Reply #124360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rookie of the Year is crock...I see that they need to have it as a league award, but by winning it doesnt mean much. Look at Axel Dench. Lets see where an Ingles type is in 3 years..thats the key!

Reply #124363 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

anon #124298

This is incorrect, all ABA leagues and even lower state leagues are subject to the same eligibility rules regarding professionalism.

basically, play beside a player paid to play b4 u go to college and you risk killing off eligibilty....playing ABA at ALL in your college break WILL kill eligibility. Has to do with NCAA's classification of summer leagues.

In summary, you can be playing NSW State league and if they have a paid import, and you play alongside them, you put at risk your eligibilty....

Reply #124367 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Is all this hype around Kersten deserved? His numbers in college - 5 ppg, 2 apg - aren't anything to write home about, yet some are saying he's going to be 'the next Brett Maher'.

Has anyone actually seen him play recently? If so, what can he do? Is he a pass first point, combo guard. Is he fast, slow. Can he D up?

Reply #124376 | Report this post

Rockets  
Years ago

This link is some footage of Kerstan, Kid can play, will be a star!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1433078624

Reply #124383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TwentyFour its a Div 1 School and a big program at that. How many Aussies in the NBL right now were good enough to play Div 1 College ball in a big program?

Reply #124395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan Kersten is a great player, he will have a huge influence to the North Adelaide team this season and will prove that he is a future star in the NBL.

Reply #124400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers drop the ball on another home grown talent.

What a joke!

Reply #124407 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Libitine Ditch Sutton means throwing away the only good thing about the sixers last year. Gotta reward him for his efforts last year.

Reply #124412 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, I know it's a Div. 1 school.

Your asking a silly question though, as Aussies playing college ball has only become a popular choice in the past few years.

I'm sure guys like Maher, Heal, Anstey and Mackinnon all would've been able to play at D1 school. In fact, I'm pretty sure John Rillie won a national title with Gonzaga.

Reply #124413 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Gonzaga won a title?? Dont think so mate.

Reply #124415 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Yeah, sorry, thought I had heard he won a title...

Reply #124423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, people keep saying that by playing ABL risks their eligability for college, but I have never seen it interfere with anyone's eligability. I remember Thompson and Krause coming back in their summer and playing for Norwood, and heaps of guys have played ABL and then gone off to college. What's up with that?

Reply #124429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Form what i know it is that you cant play professionally... then go back.

So if Ryan is playing for free for North Adelaide... i cant see how it would affect anything.

Reply #124488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way North are internally structured for amateurism maintains Ryan's NCAA eligibility! Thats all that needs to be said and that includes how Dusty also maintains that amateurism for North.

Reply #124494 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I hear what you're saying twentyfour, it's great that he's playing div 1 college and all that, but his team's not among the 64 best in the nation so it's not as though they're that strong. There's currently 5 Aussies involoved in March madness, are they all going to NBL rookies of the year when they return?

Vlahov was a bit of a college pioneer, pretty sure he was captain of Stanford for a season. No doubt all the guys you listed would have had hugely successful college careers. There's a big difference between being a dominant NCAA player and being a 5ppg 2apg role player, fair play, he may be good enough to play NBL, but there's no way he's a certain rookie of the year and future superstar.

Reply #124496 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon #124429

The College eligibility changes that kicked in around about 3-4 years ago were significant.

It also seems to get treated differently from d1 to D2 etc.

Basically the rule is as I suggested before..

* play a beside a person who is "paid" to play and you are at risk
* playing when you return on College break (from d1) and you are in trouble

I can name you a heap of guys - mainly Victorians, who have not played in ABA on their return because of this - Ben Allen for example at Diamond Valley. I don't think jess foley played back here on her breaks although she started at Duke b4 the most recent eligibility rules kicked in.

The questions about Kersten has been answered by someone - he apparently is not intending to go back.

Reply #124507 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

billo - spot on I reckon

Reply #124539 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Ak-47, yes but when it come down to it, the team needs to be put first? Keep Sutton in the squad, at least let Kersten train on over the Winter break or whenever pre-season starts.

Reply #124583 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

i think some people may not understand the whole DIV 1, DIV 2, Div 3 college setup over there in the US. Just because a team is a Div 1 team doesnt mean that they are any good or will ever be an good, a Div 1 school is purely determined by the amount of students at the school, any large school (not sure of the exact numbers)will be a Div 1 school, there is no relegation system and they will always be a Div 1 school as long as the numbers of students stay over a certain amount. I think many more young Aussie ball players could play Div 1 college ball, and we have seen a dramatic increase in numbers of college players since bogut went number 1 in the NBA draft.
There are many colleges that do not have strong basketball programs as their focus is eleswhere, maybe another sport or they may be more an academically focussed school. I am sure some of these colleges would accept more walk ups than the bigger colleges...

Reply #124716 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

Libertine, Good idea to let Kersten train and keep Sutton. I think both have very bright futures.

Reply #124718 | Report this post

Years ago

twenty four your a dick.... honestly, if only you have seen him in action over there. I have and trust me its not the assists, points etc you look at its how he gets every one else open and how he controls the team. twenty four you Wanker

Reply #125943 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Wow, thanks for the kind words....

I wasn't hating on the kid, just stating a fact that his stats weren't that impressive. I'm sorry if you couldn't understand that.

Reply #125948 | Report this post

Moff  
Years ago

Ryan is a good player. I played with him when he was 2 or 3 years younger than the rest of us and he dominated.

I've played with some talented people (Darren and Marcus Ng) and Ryan is one of the best for sure.

Reply #127470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754