Anonymous
Years ago

EAGLE OAKLEY SOLID AGAINST MAVS

Last nights match Report from CentralAbl.com:

A new-look Forestville men's team christened the House of Kane with a 92-70 victory over an undersized Eastern outfit anxiously awaiting the return of 36er Brad Hill.

18 year old Forestville rookie Trent Fildes wasted 15 seconds before putting up his first ABA three pointer, and scored 5 of his 11 points in the first 4 minutes of the game. Former Lion Jye Watson's first quarter included a sweet no-look pass to Shane Breheny for a layup, and a jump hook from the block, but Eastern struggled to contain Forestville's penetration, and a Matt Sutton 10 foot jump shot sent the Eagles into the quarter time break with a 28-13 lead.

Eastern's undersized front court battled hard to start the second quarter, and Cairns Taipans recruit Kane Oakley received constant double and even triple teams which prevented him from getting into a rhythm in offence. In his first game, Harri Harvey hit a three, but a Brad Bungey pass to Breheny for a layup kept the Mavs in touch. When Bungey picked up his third foul 3 minutes into the quarter, it was difficult to see how Breheny, Nic Campbell and Adelaide Uni Griffin recruit Ben Dearman would be able to contain the taller Oakley and Peter Hoban. Remarkably, they did, and managed to keep the lead to 10 at half time.

Forestville unleashed a parade of three pointers in the third. It started with one from 36er Matt Sutton, two from Fildes and one from Brad Sullivan in the space of 5 minutes. A runner from Phil Modra and a three from Watson stopped the run, but Forestville went into the last quarter with a comfortable 23 point lead.

Oakley demonstrated his perimeter capabilities when, after pinning a blocked layup to the backboard, he hit an 18 foot jump shot then a three, both in transition. Eastern then went on an 11 point run, and when point guard Stephen Williams went coast-to-coast for a three point play, Andy Simons was forced to call a timeout. A Peter Hoban spin move in the post extended the lead to 22, and despite a late 3 to Ty Barton, the game was all but over.

The end game was ugly, and included an Eastern technical foul, post-game words between coaches, and the reporting of Brad Bungey.

New Eagle Kane Oakley had 19 points and an impressive 18 rebounds. His ability to pass out of double teams should see Brad Sullivan and Matt Sutton getting the same good looks they did last year with the now-retired Jason Dix.

For the Mavericks, Jye Watson led all scorers with 21, and Brad Bungey had 17 points and 14 boards. Shane Breheny makes up for his lack of size by beating opposition forwards up the floor and Steve Williams' vision and leadership will help get team mates into the game, but the return of an NBL shooting guard would be handy.

Last Modified on 18/03/2007 02:53

Topic #10769 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Forestville are on the money with Oakley, seems very suitable replacement for Dix.

Reply #124822 | Report this post

Fight?  
Years ago

What was Bungey reported for?

Reply #124831 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Not being tied to any team this year I went to this game as it had 2 NBL players playing in Sutton and Oakley. I didn't thing they were outstanding but were solid for there team, it my take them a few weeks to get there feet.
Forestville were the better team on the night, only being the first game of the season they can improve and should be there post season. I thought Oakley struggled at times and Bungey had the better of him in offence. The Mavs overall did a good job on Oakley but I though gave him too much credit sending a triple team.
The Mavs I thought played well and there is a lot of room for improvement but in an 18 round competition it will need to happen fast. A surprise to me was the game of Phil Modra, I watched him play at Centrals a few years ago and he is a shadow of his former self. Trimmed down, fast and playing the D if he gets his shot going he will be an asset to the Mavs. Jye Watson seems to have fitted in well and playing along side a solid Point Guard number 8 (sorry I didn't get his name) it should open him up for more scoring. Watson had 3 fouls in the first 4 minutes which restricted his court time in the first half. He still had 21 points with Sutton guarding him most of the night. With the GC Blaze coming into the NBL next year I would think he is a chance in a 9 or 10 roster spot in some team if he continues to improve on last nights performance.
Overall an entertaining game, John and Shane the 2 Referee's stuck it to the Mav's most of the night and reading Bungey was reported, if that was the incident at the end of the game was Dougie reported as well because it was he's mouthing off that started it. Being involved with an ABA team the last 4 years I thought it was only us that got hosed on the road after last night it's more than likely all away teams. The referee's just like the players need to lift there game as the season goes.

Did I get my $6 worth, Yes

Reply #124832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude, you sound like you are a litte 'green with envy' on Oakley. Did you get dumped from Fville????

He had 19 and 18, with double and triple teaming. How much would he have had if he wasn't defended in that way?????

Bungey was nothing last night, I thought he would be better then what he showed. Was completely out-classed by someone who is literally in a different league to him.

Reply #124850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the game and thought signs look promising for the new look Eagles team, overall they missed a heap of shots but still did it easily over Eastern.

They may run into problems with Oakley being their only legitimate big man and no-one to really back him up but they make up for that with I think the best quality guard selection this year. They are a fast team who can definately shoot the crap out of it from the 3pt arc.

Reply #124851 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think Peter Hoban is more than capable of backing up Kane Oakley,Hoban has got some skill in the post, and has the ability to pull in a good number of boards. Thats with out mentioning Dougie Taylor coming off the bench, and promising talent in John Wernham. This with a very deep back court line up forrestville should be pretty decent this year.

Reply #124855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are ABA box scores going to be available to view this year?

Reply #124864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where can i find the results for the centrals womens game?

Reply #124869 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Was at the game and was impressed with the Eagles win, Oakley in particular. The Mavs have a few discipline problems with a whole load of techs including (#10) getting a tech, flipping the bird at the ref and receiving a second. It looked like he was threatening the ref after the game.

Reply #124891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

124850, You must have been at a different game to me. How can you say Bungey was nothing when he had 17 & 14 for only 28 mins play. Once again he was screwed by the refs and had to spend a long time on the bench. When he was on he dominated.
As for the techs called (all from 1 ref)they were the biggest load of rubbish I have seen. How Hill could get a tech from this ref at the base line, when he was standing next to the other ref by the bench and just having a quiet talk with him, astounds me. If a tech was justified, it should have been called by the ref he was standing next to. The refs need to lift their game and stop calling crap.

Reply #124901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are available on the Central ABL site. The stats for this particular game is here.

Reply #124906 | Report this post

chik  
Years ago

seriously arent the jokes about centrals womens team getting a little old......

Reply #124942 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I have no idea what bungey got reported for, from what he told me he never swore at the refs, he only tried to speak to them calmly n without anger. As for the finger at the ref, anyone could see it was aimed at the forestville coach n bench who were abusing him as he walked off the court.
the one ref was out of control on saturday night( the orange haired guy), he thinks he is god n can call stuff when it aint there

Reply #124978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754