Anonymous
Years ago

Locked: ruined games

john clover would have tp be the wprst umpire the abl has ever seem, and he proved that last night. the man went on ne of his known ego trips throwin away tech fouls. the ego friendly useless umpire ruined what was a pretty decent game. the whistle happy umpire, was ordinary and lets hope to good we dont see the useless lad umpire again any time soon.

Topic #10770 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

guess your a supporter of the losing team, funny how ref bashing occurs that way

Reply #124835 | Report this post

You Idiot  
Years ago

Well at least he can spell and use correct english!!!

If you are going to abuse someone make sure you have some credibility first.

Also Mavs are well known for bad sportsmenship especialy Bungey and the coach!!!!

I am sure the refs would have simply been enforcing the points of emphasis for this season

Reply #124836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to say, One point that was not very professional during the mavs? eagles game, was when the umpire in question, spoke to Jye Watson out of terms, provokin him to respond-- in which he did, without cursing, and was then given a tech.

Any one who saw the incident would have seen the total lack of credibility this umpire should now hold, very unprofessional, and should be looked at. Umpires should keep there mouth shut, especially if it is to provoke some emotion out of a player!!!

Reply #124838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's a national panel referee, in top 8 - how good are you?

Reply #124861 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I can't believe how poor your spelling is!!!

Reply #124863 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Umpire at Hillcrest last night called an 8 second back-court violation on West with 17 seconds left on the shot-clock??

Reply #124870 | Report this post

dumb question?  
Years ago

When does the shot clock start? does it start at the same time as the 8 second count starts and does the umpire have to take there eyes off the game to check the shot clock?

I wouldnt have thought so, and would think that this could happen if the umpires count and the clock operator were out by one second???

Reply #124886 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

(#124861)
he's a national panel referee, in top 8 - how good are you?

Good come back....mate how OLD are you?

the point of (#124838) post was that this umpire was very unprofessional..

(#124861)are you the umpire in Question?

Reply #124889 | Report this post

Brian Griffin  
Years ago

The 8s count starts at the same time as the shot clock, so there can be no backcourt violation until the shotclock reaches 16s.

Reply #124902 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Brian Griffin is not correct. The shot clock and the game clock do not necessarily start at the same time. The clock and the 8 second count start when the ball is touched on the court. The shot clock starts when the team has control of the ball on the court (caught in two hands or dribbled). It is the referees responsibility to count the 8 seconds - therefore whilst the shot clock showed that 7 seconds had elapsed in reality the referee may have been correct in his call. People making comments about the rules should at least try and get them right!!

Reply #124904 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

A further comment on the subject of referees. A lot of people are happy to bag referees on this site. The trouble is in most situations they don't have a clue what they are talking about. If they are in fact referees themselves then they should keep their comments to themselves or have the guts to speak to the referees or evaluators themselves. You have to ask the question:
1. Are they in fact of the same standard and therefore qualified to comment?
2. Are they jealous of the fact that they are not good enough to officiate at the elite level?

Reply #124907 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

#124838 - "umpires should keep there(sic) mouth shut"

so should players - but they dont!

Reply #124911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON12, I think you need to brush up on the rules of basketball! In this case, Art. 28.2.1. The 8 seconds does not start until the defence has CONTROL of the ball in the back court. Touching the ball is not control! Hence, the 8 seconds starts at the same time as the shot clock does (i.e. when a player on the court gains CONTROL of the live ball). The game clock, however, starts when the ball is touched by a player on the court.

Reply #124924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was under the impression that the ups are going to be tougher with tech fouls this season.

My mail is that only 2 club reps turned up to the pre season info meeting held by refs for the benefit of all clubs to for warn them of changes in how they will be calling this season.

Reply #124933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That maybe so but the ups as you put it can not bait players then call a T and expect everyone to be happy. I would think there would be a few questions asked as the referees have a code of conduct to accountable to as well.

Reply #124938 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

insert yawn.... hmm, perhaps we should mention western magic in here so booga and spadge can enter this conversation.
Even better lets mention the referee who refereed the rats v mice at the dome saturday night. big crowd, and for those wondering, the rats won by a comfortable margin. And so they should have, they've been training at the dome all NBL season.

Denny Crane!!!!

Reply #124948 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

oh and Mother Rat got a tech foul for squeeking at the ref.... but i dont hear anybody jumping on here complaining about that!!!!

Denny Crane

Reply #124949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am a forrestville supporter and although i am happy about the win on sat night, its true the game was ruined by some poor umpiring. it was clear to anyone that was in the building that John was umpiring a very one sided game. it seemed that the rules seemed to differ from team to team and especially towards Brad Bungey. Im not sayin John is a cheat but he did put on a very poor and biased umpiring display..

Go EAGLES

Reply #124967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Original topic, 124838, 124967 - all the same IP.

Reply #124969 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

NEW DIRECTION
Generally coaches and players are to portray respect and constraint towards decisions of officials at all times. Whilst it is
not the intention to restrain good communication between
players, coaches and officials, the public image of the game must
be upheld.
Therefore officials are directed to call a Technical Foul in the
following cases:
" Publicly overt and/or demonstrative actions towards official
" Where an official considers he/she cannot perform their duty
due to unreasonable and avoidable interference.
" Audible obscenity by a player or coach.
Officials are directed to use a discretionary warning or "SHORT SHARP
TO THE POINT" explanation if it is considered that further disciplinary
action may be avoided. However this is in no way mandatory.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE OFFICIALS TO ENGAGE IN
LENGTHY EXPLANATIONS WITH PLAYERS OR COACH.
THIS IS TO BE STRONGLY AND CONSISTENTLY APPLIED.

Reply #124971 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754