Stingray
Years ago

U/16 Boys BV Classic

Who are the front runners in the SA State League Under 16 Boys?
My boys play VC, Corio Bay Stingrays from Geelong.
We played Dandenong on Friday night and went down 91-50. Post match coffee with their coach resulted in me finding out that of the 25 Metro Players still in for a spot in this years team, all 10 Dandenong Players are in that 25. Very Impressive unit.
We self inflicted alot of their scor against us but these Dandy boys can play D and they Love it.
We were the only team to get to 50 points on them since Sept. 06' to so they werent impressed with their D Friday night.
They are hunting for Norwood & Sturt but they hear West is the SA team to beat this year. Can;t wait for the Classic.
Dan

Topic #10788 | Report this topic

say what ?  
Years ago

west, sturt - your info sources are correct stingray - soundsl ike a good unit dandy way

Reply #125078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian is a great state. Only one problem with it, too many victorians.

Reply #125082 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

They are tough, they have size, strength across all positions, mate... hosestly they reminded me a little of an U/16 Brisbane this year, no let down per sub.
They have a Kid all of 6'4" who love to step out and knock the J, great tough for a young big.
All these boys train 3 hours a day indiv. 1.5 AM & 1.5 PM. Shows... makes you laugh at parents who think 2 x team training sessions per week is too much...

Reply #125083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong and Mel Tigers awesome!
Believe Dandenong played Nwd at Eltham/Dand carnival. Nwd even with them at half time and lost final by 15points. Fantastic Match!! Westies could sure take it up to em.

Reply #125112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West is doing well but I think Norwood has underachieved slightly. They are going to have a big season this Winter Season. I predict Nwd will be the number 1 SA team at the classics.

Reply #125121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Centrals?

Reply #125122 | Report this post

Dandyman  
Years ago

Our 16 boys are doing nicely thank you.

Don't get too carried away Norwood we only played at half rat power at Eltham in the final against you. Your guys were on the easy (soft) side of the draw over there in January. Why don't you play on the Dandy side of the tournament where all the good sides were.

We rate west and sturt ahead of you guys. Pity sturt have lost a couple to footy. They were undermanned when we played em in Jan but will be harder now they have the 2 new kids.

We look forward to belting all SA teams in June

Reply #125160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandyman,

Just for clarification: is this team the same year group that belted Sturt in the final of the U14 Nationals in Adelaide 18 months ago!

But I agree, Norwood is slightly behind the pace being set by West then Sturt

Reply #125162 | Report this post

Sturtyman  
Years ago

I think Dandyman, you are spot on in your assessment. I hope just hope that the 3 SA teams aren't giving you and the Tiges too much of a head start. I hope we can close the gap. Don't bite on the anit-Vic crap some small-mided people write on here, there is a healthy respect between the top SA and Vic teams in this age group. Should be a great Easter and an even better Classics.

Reply #125174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if west win everything nationally at this level. Yards ahead of all other sa teams, but for player and team development sake would like to see west, sturt and norwood run different defenses against the weaker teams to practice in a game situation rather than playing full court D all night to win by as much as possible.

Reply #125204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Player and team development of who's team anon - theirs or your obviously sub-par team?
I guess West, Sturt and Norwood are playing to the HIGHEST common denominator ie. trying to catch up to Dandenong and Melbourne Tigers, rather than satisfying the lowest common denominator and play down to the standard of the poor SA teams.

It is quite apparent that all SA teams are behind Dandenong and Melbourne (at least) at the moment. They should be doing whatever it takes to close that gap between now and the Classics - regardless of who's "feelings" they're hurting with their game styles. West in particular are VERY close - could definitely contend. Sturt and Norwood are a long way off.

Reply #125215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's hurting who's feelings?? Understand where ur coming from anon 125215, but my feeling is that you can learn more practicing different options in a game situation regardless of the quality of the opposition. But they're just my thoughts.

Reply #125545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandyman = Wanker

Reply #126825 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754