Neptuneboy
Years ago

Updates to Hoops website

Is it just me, or have there been a few subtle changes to the Hoops website lately.
One being the
"Isaac, posted: A few hours ago" or "Earlier this week" at the bottom of each post rather than just the date. Cool!

What would also be great if we got RSS feeds or emails three times a day about the hottest topics on hoops at the moment. What do people think?

Anyone else notice any minor improvements?
Isaac, fill in the blanks...

Topic #10831 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Just check the site 3 times a day. No need for emails!

Isaac, this site is a really great outlet Basketball fans, thankyou.

One thing I'd like to see, even for a week or 2 is the option of not being anonymous. Perhaps some of the over the top negative stuff that usually gets locked will stop.

Reply #125539 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

if it's about magic i can manage having it locked with out anons

Reply #125544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLEEEEASE give us an rss feed!

Reply #125550 | Report this post

why just magic? there are plenty of other clubs that regularly get bagged. But I agree on the no anon thing.

Reply #125564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been done to death - but if you want no anons, well then be prepared to use your REAL name if the pseudonym you are using is not your real name. I don't believe for a minute that anyone would christen their kid, flamingeaglecurrenttiger OR booga OR Neptuneboy OR Kobe24 unless they were on serious drugs.

Reply #125567 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Emails three times a day? Not nearly enough for my liking, I would like to receive an email every time someone posts a comment. Actually, on second thoughts I'd also like to receive an email every time someone views a thread.

Reply #125575 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

isnt there some guy in the NFL named Pacman?

Reply #125596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah I agree... lets say NO to anons.

Reply #125600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Neptuneboy, well I wouldn't get too excited about a five second change, but the idea is that it makes it easier to get an idea when a post was made. It helps me because I rarely even know what day it is let alone the date.

I probably won't remove anons, but I'm thinking about creating stronger advantages for registered users (including the ability to browse the forum without seeing any anonymous posts) and more emphasis on posts from registered users/aliases over anons.

I'd also like to set up 'watches', so that people could receive notification any time a keyword is being discussed.

And the ability to get an alert any time your comment/thread had been replied to - I know that's very effective on OzHoops in getting me back there 20-40 times each day.

Plus maybe some customisation of the front page for registered users so if you follow NBL and NBA but don't care about Juniors, you'll see more of those topics and less of the ones you don't care for.

Tell me what you want to see in an RSS feed and I'll create one when I get a minute.

Reply #125603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is an RSS Feed. I've never heard of it before?

Reply #125612 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kinda like a list of recent posts or topics that can be read using an "aggregator" or incorporated into other websites. Going to be fairly useless for you unless you run a site or use an aggregator/feedreader which is why I've never really prioritised building one (i.e., never needed it myself).

Reply #125613 | Report this post

Daddyo  
Years ago

Isaac,

What about the last six digits of the IP address on the posts - then anyone can see when a clown is having a conversation with themself?

Reply #125627 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe just for anonymous posters - we'll see.

Reply #125634 | Report this post

REAL anon  
Years ago

Not an easy solution.
IP only tells you it is the same computer - I have had a handful of happy key hitters sitting here all contributing at any one time (5 in the past week and god knows what they are posting, but one computer in my office is more than enough). An email login before each post? but then again, seems as though passwords are easily passed around too and there are times when non ID can be important.
Shut down the forum during school holidays?:-)

Just to add further detail to Isaac's post #5613 for the readers -a good site to give you a further description from a receiver viewpoint is http://www.cnet.com.au/software/internet/0,239029524,240063723,00.htm

Reply #125646 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Thanks.

But, if you said no to anons, then would people just make names up and it would be hard to track? And they might start using other peoples names as a decoy?

Reply #125689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754