DICKO
Years ago

Ninnis shafted by Dragons

Scott Ninnis has been shafted by the Dragons management.

CONTRACTED for next season, Scott has been pushed aside for Heal's mate, Matt Shanahan. He has not broken his contract, he has not resigned so don't believe anything else.

Ninnis is the reason that the Dragons have Joe Ingles and Jacob Holmes and they were likely to get others over time based on his reputation as a caring coach who looked after the players under his supervision.

Originally Ninnis was contracted as the FIRST assistant coach under Mark Price, a fact conveniently forgotten when Price was ousted. He sucked it up and got on with the job....now he has been thrown on the scrap heap.

He was courted by Cowan, hired by Cowan and now screwed becuase Heal wants his "Mate" in the job.

And, from what I understand, Ninnis has NOT had his contract paid out either. So much for our club that was going to show the league a new level of professionalism.

Topic #10834 | Report this topic

Kwest  
Years ago

The cancer is spreading....

Reply #125582 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

shane heal! can he get anymore hated here in s.a? i think he will be hiring an amoumed vechical to get to and from the next game at the dome!!!!

Reply #125583 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Heal once again proving what a nasty little man he really is....

Reply #125586 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

THATS VICTORIAN MANAGEMENT FOR YOU.HEAL IS SUCH A KNOB

Reply #125590 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They have to pat his contract out.....by law right?

Reply #125591 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

i would assume that his contract would have to be paid out.

unless it has a "shane heal told me to cut you" clause!!!

Reply #125592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

booga
"amoumed vechical"
Can you please explain what that is?
Perhaps armoured vehicle?

Reply #125593 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

And some peolpe wonder why I boo the little sneak?

Gonna booooo my lungs out next time he steps into our dome.

Nasty, nasty little man.

Reply #125598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOW mal can employ him to take over the 6rs! :PPP

Reply #125604 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Legally, they would have to pay out his contract, but what I suspect usually happens is that the club tries to negotiate a smaller settlement. The coach/player in question can either take that smaller settlement or take the issue to court and potentially lose loads of money and time doing so.

The contract may state something about circumstances changing in the event of a new head coach? I hope not, for Ninny's sake.

Meanwhile, there's a job going at the 36ers as Technical Coach...

Reply #125606 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Bring him home Mal .

Reply #125607 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Captain /Coach Shane strikes again

Reply #125609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rotate - he's moving home or has already done so in recent times, AFAIK. Might come down to what opportunities are available.

Reply #125615 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

That would work.

Scotty as assistant coach for 6ers, then after our 3rd loss in a row, we sack phil and Scott steps up.

Reply #125616 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i would love to see Ninnis back as an assistant with the 36ers, if its possible as he would be a great help in recruiting SA's young talent, and with Holmes, Forman and Ingles off contract next season (i think) now would be a good time to see if we can bring Scott back, and hopefully he will be able to help us recruit atleast one of those guys back in the future and help prevent us from losing more talent else where.

Reply #125617 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Might not hurt any negotiations with one Brad Newley either.

Reply #125618 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

How is Ninnis at public relations? If Assist coaches and handles the PR for the 36er's could that be a win / win?

Reply #125620 | Report this post

REAL anon  
Years ago

Why is it that the bad guy always seems to win....
Would be great to see Ninnis at the 36ers but even to have his presence in SA for a season heavily involved in ABL or junior development can only be a good thing for the sport. A position has to be found for him....step right up corporate sponsorship..

Reply #125622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head Coach would be the perfect job for him!

Reply #125623 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would be nice for Sixers management to suck it in, and actually admit that they made a stuff up originally when they let Ninnis go, and hire him in some capacity.

Reply #125630 | Report this post

REAL anon  
Years ago

DB5 - agree and now that management have had an overhaul, really noone is going to lose face over the bad decision of a few years back.

Reply #125633 | Report this post

sounds like Scotty isn't as good as what everyone in here thinks he is.

Head coaching job is a long way off if he consistently can't hold down assistant jobs - thats 3 now isn't it? Maybe its time for a new career?

Reply #125638 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Thanks for that last post Hammer.

Reply #125645 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Holding down any consistant job in sport is near to impossible. Think about who has.....Goorjian, Gaze, Smyth, Joyce (until recently). That's it pretty much although I dare say you can add Westover to that list in a few seasons.

All Ninnis has done to "lose" those jobs is be there when things happened. I would think he could have been able to stab one or two of the head coaches and gotten the job, but he remains loyal.

When the Price thing happened, he COULD have gone to Cowan and said "I can do this this and that to fix it" or he could have supported Price and said "we can work through the issues and we'll get there". The later probably lost him a shot at Head Coach. Luckily(?) for the Dragons, Heal has no such scruples.

Similar story with Stacker at Townsville.

I'm not 100% why he left Adelaide but wasn't it purely budget restraints?

Loyalty should never be seen as a negative. It should be rewarded and nutured.

You guys are lucky, Scotty's first love has always been Adelaide and if the 6ers are smart, they'll find a way to make him feel right at home.

Reply #125647 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Very well said DICKO .

Reply #125656 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Thanks.....Is that you, Scott?

Reply #125695 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I agree with rose coloured ....

Questions should be asked as to Ninnis's skills as a coach, yes he has been unfortunate to be wrong place wrong time, but there is no evidence to make him a head coach, as i suggested here motnhs ago..get him back as an assistant, give him a year maybe 2 under phil, if the team is not performing and Scott is, we have our next coach. But i want to see some evidence of real coaching talent.

A caring coach or manager might be nice and touchy feely...does he/she get results??

Reply #125702 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

He/she ????

Reply #125708 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I was drawing an parallel between coaching and managing, (both are people businesses) and in the interests of equality chose to use the he/she term.

The main point remains, a coach must deliver results, not just be well liked by players.

Reply #125711 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

So by your logic, how does anyone that hasn't been a Head Coach in the NBL become one?
Because it would be much better to just recycle Bruce Palmer, Dave Claxton, Cal Bruton etc. right?

Reply #125718 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

No, they just need to put down some kind of track record, dont get me wrong I am a fan of Ninnis, but, i havent seen anything that tells me he is a better option than the current setup...give him a year or 2 of REAL assistant coaching and lets make a decision then.

Reply #125737 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

As compared to the 7 years of FAKE assistant coaching?

What ARE you talking about?

Reply #125742 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

do you consider this year, that Ninnis was the number 1 assistant coach at the dragons?

I mean, an assistant coach that has real input and is valued by his head coach.

Reply #125750 | Report this post

knackers  
Years ago

Does putting together pretty much the entire team for the Dragons count as 'real input'?

Reply #125751 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Maybe i should be head coach, i picked a mean fantasy side this year.

Reply #125752 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

That last comment sounds like a mean fantasy..

Reply #125754 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Before this discussion degenerates into a "booga vs spadge" post lol.

i will make my final point on it, I am a huge fan of Ninnis and fully expect and hope to see him as the future of the 36ers once he is ready. As always i cannot see anyone available who offers the 36ers more than Smyth. 12-18 months of close contact and involvement with the 36ers and Scott may well be the man.

Reply #125759 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Ah yes, but then politics comes into it...... If Smyth considers Ninnis a threat to his future at the helm, he will never get that close.

This is the joy of coaching in the NBL (or any other professional league).

Reply #125760 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Ninnis's only problem in life is that hes a nice guy, he came up against shane heal who is an absolute fkin arse and got screwed. Ninnis needs to step up and just clean smack the S(^T out of heal before he walks out. Guarentee after that people would hire him even if he sucked at coaching.

Reply #125762 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Skudpud, your language is a bit harsh, but I have to agree. Couldn't have it said it better. Smack him, and smack him hard.

Reply #125805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well here is what the 36ers can do keep Smyth and Breheny and then recruit K.B, Ninnis and possibly Al Green and Mark Davis as our development coaches. These coaches would do alot for our recruiting status to as Ninnis has a big reputation with young players. K.B, Al Green and Davis would have to be three of the most respected players to have ever played in the NBL and this would also take some of the pressure off of Smyth and Breheny. Only a thought but it could work...

Reply #125875 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea that wouldnt be a bad idea i reckon, and it would give any potential young recruits the reassurance they will be developed properly which doesnt seem to currently the reputation of the 36ers, and it would definatly help with the recruiting having someone like Ninnis involved

Reply #125882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how would a club be able to pay for all these extra coaches?

Reply #125887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hemmerling could pay.. i had to think about wat i said before about recruiting Ninnis, K.B and all the others. I think it would be good for the club as those ex-players would attract the youngsters. Ninnis has a big reputation with the young players, K.B also has a reputation with the younger players i know he is pretty close with Sutton as Sutton helps out at K.B's camps. Al Green and Mark Davis are great with young people this would also be a big boost to the club as Al could help teach the Guards and Davis could teach the forwards? Only a thought but yeah.. I think that recruiting atleast two of these coaches in particular Ninnis and K.B would help the club exceptionally well in atracting young players to the club.

Reply #125939 | Report this post

Hustler  
Years ago

Saw many a game of the Dragons on Fox this year, and each time out/quarter time break, Ninnis may have well been selling pies and budgets, cos Heal and Molloy were always deep in conversation and very rarely made eye contact with him. It seemd weird they'd keep him after what I saw. He looked like the little pesty brother who no-one wants to play with. Not saying he was deservant of this behaviour, but he must have thought his time was due??? That is sport though I guess. In one day...out the other

Reply #126855 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Do you think we can arrange to give Heal a 'Brad Hill' arm break when the Dragons play at the dome next?

And give Ninnis the sixers job!

Reply #126863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754