twenty four
Years ago

Randolph Morris: College to NBA in a Week

Kentucky junior big man Randolph Morris has signed with the New York Knicks, just one week after Kentucky was knocked out of the NCAA tourney in the second round.

Story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2812039

Morris actually declared for the 05 draft, but wasn't picked and went back to the Wildcats for the last two seasons.

I've certainly never heard of this happening before. Anyone know of a situation like it in the past?

Topic #10881 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

This is a first. He's technically been a free agent since he went undrafted. He took on the NCAA and won. The only condition to him re-entering the NCAA was that he could not nominate again for the draft.

He sign to make about $180,000 for the rest of the season and then around $800,000 next season.

Scouts believed that he would of been a mid 1st rounder in this draft, so a smart move (I can't believe I'm typing this) by Isiah. Tying up a 1st rounder for next to nothing.

Reply #126137 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

Definetely a nice but unique move by Isiah Thomas.

Will be interesting to see how he plays out the season, as with the Knicks injuries he should get a chance to log some decent minutes.

Reply #126147 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Don't be so quick to praise Isiah. There were a few teams looking out for Morris, so it wasn't exactly a secret. (Can you tell I'm a knicks fan who has been burned so many times I cannot even bare complimenting Isiah on any level?)

I did read an interesting article saying that if Isiah was given only the ability to draft and develop young players, he would be a great GM. It's just a pity he has us for $129 mill in the hole.

Reply #126154 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

One thing Isiah is good at is drafting talent out of College. He's had that knack for a while.

He got absolutely no talent in the free agent market.

Reply #126237 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754