BT
Years ago

NBL Salary Cap

Is it just me, or should the NBL be doing something about the extremely low salary cap.
I mean, we all know that there are teams out there who are not following the rules..... The teams that are following the rules are the ones that suffer. Thoughts?

Topic #10883 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

The ones that follow the rules are the ones that can't afford to pay any more. The salary cap change won't affect that. The salary cap is there to protect clubs that don't have much money and allow them to continue to compete.

Reply #126201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've just contradicted yourself. You've said that the salary cap is there to protect clubs that don't have much money, and also that the ones abiding by it can't afford to pay more.

The salary cap is barely being policed in any way.

That leaves the points cap which is a bit of a joke. With one effective cap, there might be a hope for parity in the league. With both of them failing, the league is in trouble.

Enjoy the Hawks while you can.

Reply #126208 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The NBL is in shambles

Reply #126338 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Isaac

We were the big rorters for 15 years. Now Basa( the CASH COW)has gone broke we are struggling at NBL level. Surprise?????

I have no problem with the 36ers struggling while we rebuild the capital that was stolen!

WE need a new model for success, that does not involve ripping off the public(junior )purse.

Reply #126352 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The intention of the salary cap is for every team to abide by it thus protecting the teams that cannot afford to go over. It doesn't work whilst its not being policed but the intention is there.

Reply #126354 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

EC
You are naive.
We were the major breakers of the cap for years.
We only complain now after we don't have the resources to break the cap.
This wouldn't be discussed on this site if we weren't on the wrong end of the deal!!!

Reply #126365 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DR Damage, I'm not complaining at all. In fact I can't see anything in anything that I wrote that sounds like a complaint. I'm just saying that the intention of the salary cap is to protect clubs that are not as financially well off. I've never mentioned any teams here. Besides that, what's the point in complaining when we were the major offenders? We committed the crime and we since paid the price.

Reply #126366 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

salary cap what salary cap more like a celary cap

Reply #126377 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

OK EC.

The clubs(NBL) will never be protected if it is not policed.
I have little sympathy for the 36ers. Barry Richardson was a poor leader in the sport and so much of his legacy has affected the lack of development in infrastructure in Adelaide Basketball.

Reply #126379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why dont they try a soft cap like the NBA?

Make the soft cap $1.1M. (or what even it is). Audit the players for all money made from clubs. If the club is $500K over, they pay an extra $500K to the league. This money is then distributed back to the teams that don't go over the cap.

Brisvegas could pay what they like and prop up all the other teams.

Reply #126401 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Here's a thought. What if the players were employed by the NBL. This would then meen that they (NBL) have access to their tax details and as such have a closer eye on their real income. Then contract them to the club of their choice (player) and when a club gets to a limit say $1.1 Mill then any more payments incure a luxury tax vis a vie NBA which is used to put into grass roots basketball.

Reply #126419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

126401, a couple of QLD teams already pay whatever they want without needing to prop up other teams.

Can't see the powerful clubs voting through a luxury tax. And for those that think that all clubs have an equal vote, I'm not convinced.

Reply #126422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac,

Surely it is how you sell it.

1/ If you come down hard 1 year like they have in the NRL and really hit those teams over the salary cap with fines and points lose for the obvious rorts.

2/ If you then tighten the points system and dont allow Axel Dench like situations.

3/ Make the clubs understand that a strong even competition means increased crowds + increased FTA possibilities + increased sponsorships + increased profitability for all.

Reply #126438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league would not be able to come down on some owners.

1. They are not "technically" breaking the rules with arranged outside employment. Let's say that OwnerX has a variety of companies in his network and arranges for one of the distant ones to pay the wife or relative of a player to cover private education for their children - how would the NBL uncover that with their resources?

2. Piss off an owner, lose crucial sponsorship.

3. The owners methods will survive scrutiny anyway.

Best bet and very easy to quickly implement is to fix the points cap - won't solve all problems, but will help a lot, IMO. Don't allow a Saville to transfer his rating of 5. Don't use a statistical rating that will see someone like CJ Bruton downgraded just because he's on a stacked team while a Liam Rush goes up just because he played for a crap team.

Reduce the team points total in a climate where there is a whole new team added to the league, rather than increasing it (which has to rank as one of the stupidest things the NBL could've done).

Consider giving bonus points to bottom teams to help them in following years. Consider only allowing loyalty deductions to be transferred to non-playoff teams, etc.

Reply #126444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754