Paul
Years ago

20 NBL Players Needed

Where are West Sydney and Gold Coast going to find 20 NBL standard players? If you look at the free agents list there are about 3 or 4 quality players who will all be chased by other clubs. Then you have your players who have already been part of 4 or 5 loosing teams. I can see the gap between the top 4 and bottom 4 getting much larger in coming years.

Topic #10910 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

You are definitely correct. Add the Hawks in there too.

But, on the bright side, it means opportunities for fringe NBL players (e.g., Jason Reardon) and mid-level returning college players (Chris Cameron, etc).

Reply #126464 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I would also suggest that any teams looking for a great kid who can play get onto Anthony Petrie from Canberra ABA side. I hear Nic Campbell is returning (former AIS starter) as well as possibly Matt Knight (Boomers training squad). Do we know any other college players returning who could slot straight into the NBL?

Reply #126465 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I can think of a few Central ABL players who could make it:

Brad Gerlach (if healthy)
Damien Scanlon (if available)
Todd Matthews
Cameron Wilson (maybe)

are the ones who come to my mind

Reply #126468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, I reckon Singapore might have a few spots free too.

If you are a decent ABL player, give Richard Hill or Paul Bell a call and see what your options are!

Reply #126476 | Report this post

britney  
Years ago

lockstock,

You are kidding right? None of those players could have any impact at NBL level and would only be exposed. It is frustrating when people think that any player that performs at SA State League level, could automaticaly cut it at NBL level. They are not even in the same ballpark.

Reply #126488 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Matt Sutton has an impact at NBL Level are you saying none of those guys are in the same ball park as him??

Reply #126496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gerlach, as an example, wouldn't be too far off the pace to come off the bench on a lower-ranked team.

The point about Sutton is a good one - he is hardly a stand-out in the ABL, but made the transition fairly well last season.

Wilson would surely be too undersized though?

Reply #126499 | Report this post

britney  
Years ago

You are right, Sutton is a good example. He hasn't even dominated consistently at ABA level yet the coaches obviously believe he has a certain quality that can allow him to do well at NBL level. Gerlach, minus the injuries I tend to agree with, but Wilson - come on. And Matthews, if you get someone other than the person he is guarding to bring the ball up the court, his benefit is useless.

Reply #126501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a different between ABA and NBL but it is not like you think.IN the NBL a player plays a position but in the ABA a player plays different positions.A player like sutton is not a big scorer but he can run the team and that is what is needed for his position in the NBL.So when players are compared look to see if the can play a position in the NBL

Reply #126505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree these NBL coaches need to start looking around at some of the talent at ABL level. Someone like Dan Thompson or Todd Mathews would be a perfect solution for an NBL team who is trying to rebuild. Players who have spent time in Europe or the college league have played at the highest level possible and equal to that of the NBL and are under-achieving in ABL but don't really have any other playing options.

Reply #126525 | Report this post

Mavarich Press  
Years ago

You guys are a bit Adelaide centic.There are many players out there that are available above and below the radar that good coaches are constantly cultivating. The real pro coaches are always looking and sifting according to the needs of their systems. You mention Illawarra,West Sydney,Singapore and Gold Coast. Chock and Gordie have some chance and a system in place ---Cookie and Beveridge are new -- maybe they will learn ?. How about a Gold Coast lineup that looks like this:
Melmeth - 4
Cameron - 5
Former NBA - 3
Harvey - 2
Former NBL/NBA - 1
Macgregor - 4/5
Frank - 3/4
Joyce - 1
AIS/Overseas/Development-2 of these at 2/3.
Maybe they can play like a team and defend and be competitive.
Maybe Gordie can repeat last season.

Reply #126559 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

what about Dan Lalic, Ryan Kersten, Erik Burdon, Jordan Dodman...wouldn't some of these get a look at the lower ranked/new teams in the NBL...?? i agree with Snake being competitive in the NBL for sure..if given the chance to snake ppl. what other junior kids would be a good fit?? anyone thought about a Tom Mackenzie and how he might go?!?! any chance for Tmak??

Reply #126571 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Adelaide-centric is a reasonable comment (#126559). There are players all over the country playing ABL competition that could feasibly, and quite adequately slot into an NBL roster. Example only: Bart Strzebonski kills a Brad Gerlach, Jason Reardon is far superior to a Damien Scanlon, Shane McDonald (2007) is a way ahead of Sutton as a ball distributor.

Hell.. Zorich is streets ahead of Kersten, Matt O'Hea is light years ahead of a an erratic Burdon.

The one thing these players all have in common is that they are all NBL fringe players.

Right place, right time... right contacts, right location and so on.

Reply #126601 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Cam Wilson maybe undersized, yes. But he's ultra fit and quite strong, and I wouldn't think he's that much smaller than a lot of the PG's in the NBL.

Todd Matthews is an absolute gun. He'd be a solid NBL player for sure.

Scans, for all his shooting ability, is very under-rated in a lot of other respsects. For example, his movement off the ball is amongst the hardest I've ever had to guard, his defence (especially instincts - passing lanes and charges) is amongst the better for the 2 spot in the ABL, and he is ultra fit. He'd surprise a lot of people I'd say

And Gerlach, well there's no doubt about him. On a winning team and fully fit he would go very, very close to winning a Woolacott.

As for TMac, on ability he's NBL easy. On work ethic and mental determination, not even close. Sorry big guy!

Reply #126662 | Report this post

akeentaylor  
Years ago

after i finish high school
can i come play for your team
im 5ft 8inch

Reply #129988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:57 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754