Anonymous
Years ago

Ryan Kersten to the Breakers

Reports are that North Adelaide Rockets star Ryan Kersten has signed with the New Zealand Breakers for the next 2 years.
Kersten was thought by many to be the perfect future point guard of the Sixers but alas another up and coming Adelaide kid has vacated and will be in opposition colours.
I am even more keen to see the battle at Hillcrest tonight as I like many will be frustrated with this news and want to see if we should have kept Sutton or given the next big thing out of Adelaide a chance.
All the same i hope Ryan does well as i always hope all our Adelaide kids do that are playing else where.

Topic #10946 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan will be signing with Adelaide 36ers. Paul Bell told me.

Reply #126920 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

How good is Kersten anyway?

How wpould he compare to the likes of Newley, Ingles, Ng and Sutton?

Reply #126921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jury appears to be out at this stage. Some rate him highly, some aren't convinced - will be interesting to see how he does.

Reply #126925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to remember that he is only about 20yo i think.

So could be based on potential.

Reply #126946 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If he goes to the breakers are they still going to sign a import PG or are they gonna have Kirsten and Henare split the minutes. If Kirsten is as good as some say they may get away without having the import PG, but i guess we will have to see how he performs, as isaac said the jury is still out on him. Pity the 36ers missed out on him but i guess they have chosen to sign Davidson and Sutton, along with Maher in the PG position instead, i hope the 36ers made the right choice!

Reply #126947 | Report this post

soapbox  
Years ago

So lets all rush out an d sign Kersten dont think he is such a big deal if he was so good and college just finished why out of shape so badly.Second point if we have Maher,Davidson and Sutton as POINT MEN then he isnt getting any time ahead of them cos he isnt better than them saw him play at college and he struggled there.So are you suggesting 36ers sign him because he went to college big deal.Good work 36ers wait and see if he can play before he is given a spot

Reply #126961 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Great kid who has been lighting up the court in the US.
Perhaps we may see how good he is on FOXTEL , as another SA Junior heads out of SA to show what he can do.
Gee , when will it all stop and the 36ers start to get homegrown talent for us to cheer at the ABC Learning Centre !!!

Reply #126964 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Annon, he hasn't been lighting up the courts over there, I think I posted in other thread his stats of 5ppg and 2apg or something. He was only a decent role player judging by that.

Even though I would've liked the Sixers to wait and see him in a couple of games before making a decision on who they were going to sign at the back-up point, I don't blame them for not just signing him as soon as it became apparent that he wanted to play in the NBL.

Reply #126967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great kid who has been lighting up the court in the US."
He looked a step slow in the college games I saw.

Reply #126977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An OK hard working player but then so are heaps of others - don't understand all the hype about this kid at this stage. Very supportive family and friends no doubt, which is great for Ryan. He is very lucky to be given the opportunity at the Breakers and in a year or two with high intensity trainings, maybe the hype will be justified. It is a big step from College / ABA to NBL and plenty of development players fall by the way.

Reply #126984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 36ers signed every South Australian kid, then the team would be full of kids.

Reply #126996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As opposed to aging old men!

Reply #126999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Kersten last night.

He is Def not up to NBL standard yet and needs a haircut.

Reply #127007 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

How can you say that? he showed the poise, quickness and skill that an elite level point guard needs. He will be one we regret not signing.

Reply #127010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Kersten certainly showed some attributes last night but goddamn that boy needs to lay off the doughnuts!
No question is a better option than Sutton and in saying that I am a fan of Suttons.

Reply #127013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best sign of a true point guard is having their team win.

At every level in Australia, Kersten has been a successful player, at club junior level, at State Champs level, at National Championships level, Sutton has not.

Kerstens team won.

Again Phil loses talent becasue he doesn't have the guts to make a hard decision and let Sutton go for a player that has played AIS and College.

Reply #127017 | Report this post

jammer  
Years ago

Gee Annonymous you seem to blame Phil for everything guess its his fault Kersten got benched at college his fault also he isnt going back to college lets wait and see i heard they offered him a try out spot in the team so what more could they do. Give him a contract becausr he got average stats came back out of shape at the end of the college season oh yea that would be Phils fault.Eric Burton did and still does have better game than Kersten just go watch a practice session its obvious or ask the guys that practice and play with them none pick Kersten ahead of Eric but Phil probably tells them all to say that and at practice tells Kersten to let him look the better player get real he aint going to do anything special in the N.B.L cant even do it here in local league and didnt do it at college aint going to happen.

Reply #127045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jammer,

If you're right then the 36ers should get rid of Sutton. When on the court together I thought Kerston was the more creative and made things happened. Sutton by comparison was solid and steady but with no real creative flair. Sutton stood out more when Kerston was on the bench. For me, Kerston over Sutton.

Reply #127066 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

sutton showed poise and control beyond his years for the 36ers last year, give the kid a break, definetly a positive move keeping him in a sixers uniform

Reply #127092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im a massive Sutton fan but i agree with people who say Kersten deserves a spot.

What the 6ers lack is someone who can handle the ball well, but can also bring that spark off the bench.

I think Kersten has that over Sutton.

I guess it comes down to a solid Sutton over a energetic, young Kersten.

Reply #127093 | Report this post

Moff  
Years ago

Jammer,

Kersten has just came back from the US. Playing in the US is gonna be a great deal quicker and higher standard than playing here. People bag his stats in college, yet some say college standard is simular to NBA. Each kid in college is playing for their lives. In the NBA all the players have already made it and get big bucks to boot. Think before you write such silly comments. I've played with both Ryan, Darren Ng, Marcus Ng and Erik before and they all are extremely talented. Playing guard next to Ryan was such a breeze. Cos he must be crap to get picked from the AIS to play college....

Reply #127544 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Should have:
At the point - Mahersy
Backup to him - R.Kersten

Off guard - Import
Backup - M. Sutton

Reply #127552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754