concerned
Years ago

Concerned and Curious About Family Members Umpirin

Regarding junior umpire shortage. My original concern is why is there a qualified adult umpire, umpiring a game which his/her son/daughter is participating in. Why can't they just swap umpires with the umpire on the other court. P.S. Not so much concern just curious, as this happens at both home and away games.

Topic #10953 | Report this topic

concerned  
Years ago

Good point

Reply #126987 | Report this post

Yeah  
Years ago

Why is such a simple thing happening

Reply #126989 | Report this post

Yeah  
Years ago

Why is such a simple thing happening

Reply #126990 | Report this post

True Fact  
Years ago

That is so true I have witnessed parents umpiring their children and sisters/brothers umpiring their siblings.

Reply #126991 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Maybe they are new/not experienced enough to do it.

Rather than complain why don't you put your hand up to become an umpire?

Reply #126994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just find it funny that 'concerned' replied to their own thread saying "good poing" and I'm also guessing the next poster 'yeah' is also the same poster as 'concerned' which is probably also the same poster as 'true fact'.

Reply #126995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about senior ref umpiring their clubs Div 1 games and by their I mean they are Club pres? There will always be bias, perceived or otherwise, so why would this continue to happen at one venue? Have always found this ref fair but then my child isnt in Div 1 where impartiality is a must. There is always the call of "home court refs" but this situation really seems a biggie. Any comments?

Reply #126997 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

For a minute there i thought that the umpires were supposed to be unbiased... i mean having Weeksy, Phil and Andy on a 6ers game every week throughout the season....
Somebody call phil up and get him to complain about biasness!!!

UICs put the best referees possibly suited on the game for that game, it doesnt matter if the referee has a family memeber in that team.
I have seen umpires umpire their other halves, and nobody has said anything until they have found out that they have some connection. and then out came the crap... when before they knew they were as happy as a pig in someone elses sh*t.

About the club president in question, seriously, lets all turn on a sad song or movie so there is a legit reason to have a wah wah. He is a good referee (well, you know what i mean), and he, along with all other referees, have to show that they are unbiased. You go to any stadium for juniors they have referees from their own club. be it ABA bench player Peter Steel at Woodville, Rampaging Ray Keaney at West, Nathan Durant at North (he's WNBL might i point out... and number 1 nationals male referee last year. Thats number ONE), Matt Coombe at Southern, The Entire Posse of junior referees that play for Forsetville who ref at Wayville.... and hell have you tried getting refs at Mt Barker? If you can convince somebody from sturt or centrals to go out and ref at mt barker every week, i'll do the chicken dance in the middle of the court in the ABA grand final wearing a chicken suit!
There is not normally biasness. Sometimes you may not get the calls you are looking for, but don't be blaming it on them being bias. Maybe your son or daughter is just really bad at playing defense, and it is at your home stadium that there is "bias" referees!!

Grow up people. If you dont like it then ring up neil poulten (aka fatty boombah), and find out when the next referee course is on... im sure he'd be more then willing to let you join in and do some games.

And to that dragon faced cow from west who abused the refs after her son's game last friday, i think you have been deprived of hugs my dear.....

I'm DENNY CRANE....Lets encourage fat people to have sex

Denny Crane!!!!

Reply #127003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My daughter refs at the club she plays for. My son also plays for the same club. When my son knows that his sister is going to be reffing his game he complains like hell as he knows that she will probably over call him as she does not want anyone saying that she is biased towards big brother.

It works both ways.

Reply #127018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to be a ref at Morphette Vale when Ms. Chapman was running the place.

I learned to ref in Melbourne and when I moved to Adelaide, I was shocked how amateur the refereeing structure was. There needed to be a ref association. Not just at the state level, but at the stadium level. They need to organize regular grading, assessments and training. I was a ref for maybe 3 years at MV, and I was NEVER even offered the opportunity attend any training. I was assessed maybe twice. Grading never happened. Why grade someone up when you can keep paying them less?

I gave it up due to the fact that progression was too hard. I was considered a decent ref, but even after weeks of consistently well called games, no one wanted to put me on Div 1 U14/16 games over 'established' refs.

You can only call so many u12d5 games in your life ;)

That said, the entire structure of Basketball here (QLD) is terrible :(

Reply #127034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #127018

Another good reason to not have family members not ref each other.

Reply #127037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and I forgot the most important example.

Ms. Chapman decided it would be a good idea to turn the Ref Room into a Basketball Card shop. Good times.

Reply #127042 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Denny Crane- please get your facts right. Rampaging Ray was formerly associated with West, but seemed to 'turn' after missing out on a coaching gig a few seasons ago, so is now a Sturt coach. You certainly cannot honestly say that Ray ever gives west any favours

Reply #127047 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

Getting back to the point, It is almost impossible to not have referee's on matches who would not be deemed as possible to be 'biased' toward one team or the other, referee's are not biased, they just miss things, or see things differently, they are humans after all too!

Reply #127067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In case it wasn't obvious, the first five posts in this thread are from the same IP address.

Reply #127080 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Did you ever consider that the referees in question might want to watch their son/daughters play! However they are also a referee and are told that there are no refs for that timeslot, therefore they don't get to sit back like all the other whinging parents, instead they must referee a game.

A bit of compromise each way. The game gets one of the best refs available for that time slot, and the ref gets to watch their son/daughter play.

Reply #127097 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Nicely said Denny Crane. Like the humour in it too!

By the way, who are Forsetville?

Reply #127156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should not happen - ref needs to say no

head ref needs to be spoken to

Reply #127250 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

sorry... englished good

Its this Mad Cow Disease i have... effects the brain... no good.
It effects me all over... mad penis as well

Denny Crane

Reply #127262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

parent umpiring sons games,happens at hillcrest

Reply #134596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754