AB
Years ago

dan lalic - sixers squad

what r the thoughts of dan lalic pushing for a spot in the sixers 12 this year? i see every home game and this kid is becoming one heck of a dominant figure down in the post. his body is gettin bigger and stronger, he has an undeniable hunger for the ball and when he gets it he puts it in the hole 9 out of 10 times at least! i see a massive future for this kid.

Topic #10981 | Report this topic

smitty12  
Years ago

would love to see him there as he's worked hard to get where he is and put up the numbers he is at his age. and does a bloody hell of a job at what, is fair to say, being an undersized Centre compared to others in the league.

Reply #127253 | Report this post

AB  
Years ago

i know exactly what u mean smitty, i look at him and think, oh god please grow another 5-6 inches!! U CAN DO IT BUDDY!!

Reply #127254 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

yep...even 2/3inches and he'd be even MORE dominating. geeebus...he was 15/20 from the field on sat nite, for 32pts...at 19/20yrs old. Starting centre..a lot of pressure to make sure Tigers get it to him, big load to carry on his shoulders this year. i think he'll have a massive year and be put on notice. ALSO think he tends to be a quiet achiever...it didnt seem like he had 32pts on sat nite. bloody good on him; right behind him all the way. He was in the Pt Lincoln camp last yr, i just hope they take Lalic ahead of DudMan

Reply #127255 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

*Dodman of course :P

i'm definitely biased in the argument...

Reply #127256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We'll see how he goes when he has to play against NBL standard players who will be defending him.

Yeah he has potential but he is too young and needs to get off to college ASAP IMO if he wants to make something of himself.

These kids who get a free ride into NBL teams by putting up big no's in ABL never survive and usually don't have a long standing NBL career.

IMO 4 yrs in a decent US college sorts out the whimps from the real players. If the can hack it over there for 4 years.

Reply #127261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh look what college did for Kersten.

Reply #127266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best to wait and make a call on this after he plays Norwood (Cooper) and North (Rychart).

Reply #127303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is far better than Dudman.

Reply #127309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and does a bloody hell of a job at what, is fair to say, being an undersized Centre compared to others in the league.

Smitty, I think you've answered your own (okay, maybe AB's) question. I am a huge fan of his, BUT he is too small. If he is undersized at the ABA level, imagine how undersized he'd be at the NBL level! He may or may not be better than Dodman, but he doesn't have the size necessary to play that spot in the NBL.

Reply #127313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People seem to forget he's listed at 198cms; and I think that's being kind. No way he competes as a big man at that height.

Reply #127314 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

He may be better in the state league but unfortunately for him he has no perimeter game and therefore becomes an extreamly undersized 4 or 5 in the league, and is also very un athletic. Unfortunately because of this he wont survive at the next level, which is a shame because if every athlete had his work ethic you would never have a problem. He will become one of the better state league players in recent times.

Reply #127315 | Report this post

Double sorted  
Years ago

Dodman has legit low block moves... Dan relies on agility and brute strength.

Hence Dodman has the nod in this debate. ( not to mention he is significantly taller )

If Lalic can develop some variety in the low block then watch out, that would be a very tough competitor.

Reply #127316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth mentioning: Dusty Rychart, 197cm.

Reply #127318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth mentioning there is no way Lalic is 198cm

Reply #127320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth mentioning: Dusty would have at least three inches on Lalic.

Reply #127322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lalic about 195

Reply #127323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth mentioning, there are now 4 "Worth mentionings" in this thread!

Just a thought.

Reply #127360 | Report this post

If lalic finds someone stronger than he is, he will struggle. that is why he will never be NBL quality

Reply #127391 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

everyone seems to be saying he is undersized... pretty sure hes same size as jordan, and takes him to school regularly when they play one another... and about size, isnt malik rose 6'6" and a big man in the nba? dan has couple more years to grow still, in height and strength, seems to be more determined than most other young players in adelaide aswell. if he isnt given a chance, just proves a point that 'politics' run basketball in adelaide rather than a persons talent and desire

Reply #127396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought both Jordan and Dan had finished school. (insert sarcasm here)

Where exactly have you seen this?

Lok at the statrs when they last played. Dodman was more productive in less minutes in a team where more players were taking opportunity away from him.

Ricey, I think you should go back to school and learn something. Anything.

Reply #127398 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Charles Barkley was 6'5 and I think Rodman was 6'8 or something. If he keeps working hard, he'll make the NBL. He played Rychart in round 2 and to be honest, I think Lalic got the better of him.

Reply #127399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy you are a fool if you think he got the better of Rychart, Rychart had 22pts and 15 rebs on him and that was while being jetlagged.
Lalic is a great kid, but lets not fill his head full of false hope.
His goal right now should be to be the best player the Tigers have got and go from there.

Reply #127400 | Report this post

Charles barkley and dennis rodman could jump through the roof, too. is there any post you dont defend a southern player, jimmy de bazz

Reply #127409 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

one game? thats what your going by? in juniors alone, dan has dominated against him. by the way, why should i go back to school? im the one who can spell here

Reply #127449 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Lalic travels when he gets the ball. He cant coordinate his feet well enough. Loses his temper and gets Offensive fouls too often.

Dodman can finish left or right handed from any angle near the basket. Can hit a jumpshot consistently also.

Both are strong from the line for big men.

ive seen both of these guys play in both abl and outside abl and have to say jordan seems a more polished player than dan.

they both have the heart of monsters and huge futures in the abl, but unless given a real chance at nbl (say 10-15mins a game which prob wont happen in adelaide) i cant see either of them developing further.

But to answer the question, I would go with Dodman for NBL. Ideally it would be great if both were in the Sixers extended training squad so they could bang big bodies over summer and maybe get NBL minutes.

Reply #127458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, your blatant dislike of Dodman is well known to all here - let's remember that you think YOU are better than Dodman too....

Reply #127476 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

"Lalic travels when he gets the ball. He cant coordinate his feet well enough. Loses his temper and gets Offensive fouls too often."

Laughable!

It's tough to compare the foot work of Dodman and Lalic because you are comparing two players who both have good foot work, Dodman especially.

What you get with Lalic is clear - strength (and getting stronger), work ethic and efficiency. If he does grow a couple more inches it scares me to think how dominant he could be.

Not to mention how much he would eat after each game ;)

Reply #127483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets face it lalic has done enough to prove he's worhty of being in the sixers squad...if anyone tells me otherwise..watch out!!! Dodman..give me a break he's hopeless...who cares about height..lalic must be considered this yr for sixers...he'll dominate the ABL easily this yr but i dont think he can carry his tigers thru he hasn't got the support...for sum of the players in the tigers squad it takes a TEAM effort to win..BBALL is a TEAM sport...a few players are not pulling their weight...Lalic definetly is but others are not...after all is said & done the Sixers must take notice of LALIC & put him in...Period....

Reply #127494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey,

Are you still having nightmares about Dodman dominating you every training.

And having to sit and watch every game while he wins games for your team.

Reply #127495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The debate is quite simple. There is a big difference between ABA and NBL. They are both good players. Dodman is actually a year younger and at least 3 if not 4 inches bigger. This height difference is massive in NBL terms. It means the difference between competing and not competing. There are many GUARDS in the NBL Lalic's height, he simply will not have a spot in a championship calibre team. Dodman can at least play a role in such a team. As far as ABA, Dan may be a better player, but Dodman is by far the best proposition for the next level and even that is questionable. We will know in a year or two's time.

Reply #127499 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

height scmeight ! there are guys 6'5 to 6'6 who can dominate inside
against much taller opponents .
For big guys it is about hunger , footwork , work ethic , passion , and then natural talent .
Height means shit all of you don't have the above .
If lalic wants it bad enough he may just get there .
A good example is Norman Taylor , undersized , overweight , relentless and great footwork .

Reply #127526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rotate on this, I hope you're right, Lalic is a great kid as a player and a person. All I'm saying is the cards are stacked against him. The further up the ladder you go, the more height matters. There are only a handful of 6'5-6'6 centres in NBA history, there are none at the top levels internationally at the moment (you better be 7' there!)! Dodman at 6'9 has a better chance at the NBL level because he is 6'9".

Reply #127530 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

is Dodman any good at footy, and if he is, why did he give it up?!?

Reply #127554 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

or should i say....why did he not persue it at the professional level?!?

Reply #127555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dudman still has a long way to go to be anywhere near up to standard.

Reply #127560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can bet London to a brick that Lalic will be at the dome next season.

His family has been season ticket holders for many years.

Reply #127561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smitty12 - Dodman liked the international opportunities that basketball provide, and footy doesn't.

Reply #127564 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

fair point Anon. if that's his reasons, then i like it. at least you could say he's not playing bball for the money obviously. good on him if that's his mindset!!

Reply #127567 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

funny that people post c*ap about me without putting any sought of name up that allows people to know who they are. and i got no problem with jordan, as a person, nice kid, but as a player, i think he is a lil bit over rated. i never had said im better than him at all, and he never dominated me in training, let alone our game 2 weeks ago.
jordan isnt 3-4 inches taller than dan, maybe 2 if that, well when they have standing next to one another doesnt seem like such a big difference.

Reply #127590 | Report this post

Ricey,

Well, my opinion is that you are a no game wannabe that has changed clubs mutiple times becasue you aren't good enough to even make div 1.

And that you're still sour becasue Dodman kicked your butt all over training for numerous years

Why is it then that you couldn't hit the court in game that mattered while you were playing in Dodmans team?

Reply #127599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is only one person that talks smack like that!

some of us have been a victim of it on AND off the court.

Reply #127602 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

firstly, he hardly kicked my butt, as he was hardly at training to begin with. as for not being good enough to play div 1, why is it that i have been div 1 since 2nd year 14s? guess that screws up your post a lil doesnt it. so who are you? talk alot of s*it but dont see a name, lil worried what may happen if i was to pass by you next time? what a pussy.
im not gonna even bother responding to anything else you have to say until you post your name, as its a waste of my time, and the other people who use this forum. not to mention, its taking alot of light off the topic at hand, which is whether or not lailic is worthy of a spot, which i believe he is.

Reply #127606 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

"Blue Collar" what i meant by saying Dan travels was that from the numerous times i have seen him play i have thought his footwork was suspect. Obviously he doesnt always travel, and after watching him against sturt i must say it is an area in which he has improved. If he continues in that area of his game, and mixing up his arsenal (jumpshots, hookshots, spins, fakes, fades, left hand, right hand...) then i think he will become a force at ABL level.

But as i said before whether its Jordan, Dan, Hambour, Geralch, Hill or whoever, they can have loads of talent and tear up the CABL, but cant improve on the National stage without courtime and opportunity.

Reply #127617 | Report this post

Ricey,

You have not played Div 1 since 14's. That is why you had to move clubs.

Tear:/

Reply #127618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Ricey?

Reply #127634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lay off (jordan), he is a great height and guy and i think he deserves to be in the squad after all that he has had to put up with. Sixers need the height and they have jordan so yeah!!

Reply #127637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point 634

Reply #127638 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's the same argument about Matt Sutton. He doesn't stand out (numbers-wise) at ABL level, but he has the poise, character, and size to be an effective PG and contribute to his ROLE at NBL level.

Reply #127649 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Some one who knows! you obviously know jack shit, as i have played 1s, and i left for a completely different reason.
Fair point about Sutton, if Jordan and/or Dan can become role players, and not be expected to dominate in NBL. and for the anonymous poster, wat has he had to put up with exactly? he hasnt been through much with basketball really, as people have given him every opportunity, which he has taken. dont think someones personal issues should mean they get a chance above another person.
how come no one is talking about bungey, or breheny aswell? both putting up some good stats aswell!!!

Reply #127739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because, like you Ricey, Bungey has an attitude and temper problem.

While Brehney is undersized for his position at NBL level.

Being the basketball expert that you are I thought you could have worked that out.

Reply #127744 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Hustle, good retort. Most big men need to improve their footwork. Dodman however seems to have good feet, nice balance and a good sense of where the basket is.

One final point - i think we should all remember that both players in question are very young. Big men naturally mature a bit later so it could be feasible to see them making an NBL roster into their mid 20's provided they keep playing.

Reply #127765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to back up what jimmy said earlier, i think dan did get the better of dusty... until the last quarter. dustys numbers werent what u'd expect them to be at half time, i think he only had 10 points to memory. a fair effort from a young kid up against a big experienced player like dusty.

Reply #127878 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Spot on Blue Collar. Sometimes we forget that these kids are not even 20 yet. We set high expectations and expect results immediatley. Both Jordan and Dan havent been major factors for their respective teams until this season. Last year they were both coming off the bench, so this will be a real test for them this year. Hopefully the improvement from both continues!

Reply #127928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754