123abc
Years ago

Ballinger signs as an Aussie

ADAM Ballinger will play as an Australian for Adelaide during the course of his new two-year NBL deal with the 36ers.

Ballinger, 27 and 205cm, spent three years at Wollongong and one at the Victoria Giants and is married to an Australian girl. He could be eligible to play as a local during the 2007-08 Philips Championship and certainly by the following season, making his signing doubly exciting.
"He's going to play in Puerto Rico for a couple of months now," 36ers coach Phil Smyth said. "We've wanted to get him for a couple of seasons because we felt he and Dusty (Rychart) would have been a terrific import tandem.

More: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21494284-5006371,00.html

Topic #10983 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

"Adelaide remains well in the hunt to secure Brad Newley's prized signature with the battle for the off-guard/small forward's NBL services apparently down to the 36ers and Melbourne."

More good news!

Reply #127270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger is not yet an aussie so he still takes up an import spot for the time being.

Reply #127274 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Lets hope he gets utilised more effectively than Nick Horvath did last season.

Reply #127294 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Also in that article, Nash will not be a Sixer next season. He has been released from his contract. Finally, some sense.

Reply #127301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahhhh......this does explain why Phil has gone so hard after him and Newley/Schenscher!! Ballinger has been the key all along! If they dont get Newley or Schenscher and Ballinger does get Aussie status they can fill those 2 spots with imports! If we do get all of them, we still have one position left with 8 points on the cap, which can also be filled with an import.....can anyone say Brian Wethers?!?!?

Reply #127325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The 36ers looked at Wethers a few years back. Another option is Jerome Beasley I think - isn't he a 7 (from memory)?

Reply #127326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats correct Isaac......thats why I suggested Whethers. Obviously Phil is keen on his game?!?! Youre right Beasley is a 7......could be a good option if he gets fit!! I did my assessment before considering the signing of Rush(7), wishful thinking I know but you could place any 7 point player in there? They could also re-sign say a Majstrovich(6) leaving them with 9 points to spend on an import such as Tucker, who has been rumoured?? What ya reckon Isaac??

Reply #127331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Too many variables - Newley, Schenscher, when Ballinger naturalises, etc. Just going to wait and see I think.

Reply #127332 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Look at the Taipans with Mee's naturalism,took forever and the snakes played basically one decent player short waiting for Thornton(who wasn't worth waiting for as it turned out).

Reply #127352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit different with Mee as he wasnt married to an Australian girl!

Reply #127353 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

so.... does this mean Phil has done a good job on this one?

A quality player, soon to be an Aussie, seems very well thought out.

If these other big signings drop into place...will be some red faces amongst the Phil haters.

Reply #127401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil wanted horvarth. the club wants ballinger. a fist of money. do the math.

Reply #127404 | Report this post

Naturalised  
Years ago

To play as an Naturalised Australian you have to put your papers in for Perm. Residence....it is a 2 year wait for it to come thru. Once you have your Perm Residence, you have to live as a Perm Resident for 2 more years. After those 2 years are up.. you are allowed to file for citizenship which takes 2 more years. Now if he goes overseas, the time he spends overseas will be added to the 2 year wait which will be 2 and a bit years so it will be close to seven years before he becomes naturalised. Depending on if he has lodged perm Res papers, it could stil;l be a long way off before Ballinger becomes naturalised, and it doesn't matter if he is married to a Aussie you still have to endure these waits!

Reply #127426 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

I dont think Newley will play NBL next season. If he doesnt get drafted will head to Europe. If he gets drafted it'll be a late 2nd round pick. His NBA team may let him continue to develop in Europe for a few more season, bit like Ginobili!

Honestly I dont think Newley game has developed as good as I thought it would. He had lots of good game, but also had some shockers. Im a fan and hope like hell he gets drafted, but he's got some impressing to do!

Reply #127444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754